Sweetners and blood sugar?

Options
Hi,

I have been trying to keep my blood sugar as level as possible. I am happy that I am only very occasionally craving for something sweet after two and a half weeks here in MFP.

I don't do well with deprivation, so I have something sweet at night and enjoy. However, I start my day with coffee sweetened with sweetener. :smile:

Someone has told me that your body reacts to sweetener as if it were sugar. Does anyone know if this is correct? If it is, I'm not giving myself the best start to the day :cry:

Replies

• MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If your asking sucralose no calorie sweetner raises your bg for a diabetic.. it's basically carb free not even 1 carb. No it doesn't raise your BG... I use it in my coffee but haven't had to use it in my tea for month now . I now use apple cinnamon water for my green tea. Cinnamon is good for regulating BG,
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Other sweeteners (Splenda, Equal, Sweet N Low), are as bad as regular white sugar (maybe even worse), but i've been using Stevia (truvia) bc i heard it's a bit more natural and doesn't effect the blood sugars.

I've been using Stevia for a few months now bc i'm pre-diabetic (PCOS)

Hope that helps :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    At best, studies are mixed on your question.

My suggestion? try to reduce the added sweetener whether its sugar, honey or something else or something artificial.

Sugar in coffee?
    tastes good, body's insulin response kicks in, easily bioavailable glucose in blood gives brain a near-instant boost, brain feels satisfied (for a while)

Artificial sweetener?
    tastes "good", body's insulin response does NOT typically kick in, no glucose to give brain a boost or satiate
  • willdb76
    Options
    Diabetics use artificial sweeteners, and I'm guessing that's because they do *not* affect blood sugar or insulin, despite what internet folklore may tell you.

There's some evidence that the sweetness of artificial sweeteners can increase your appetite but this has nothing to do with blood sugar, it's more of a neurological response to sweetness (whether it's from artificial sweetener or sugar). Basically the brain says 'there's an abundant food source - let's eat!' I'm a bit skeptical about this theory though to be honest. And if you don't give in to your cravings though, there won't be any effect. Plus the effect would be just as bad as from real sugar, on top of the calories you already consumed in that sugar itself.