Anyone worried to gain weight?

Options
Hi, I used to weigh 197 pounds. Almost 200 pounds about 3-4 years ago . I started working out with cardio on the treadmill and portioning my food intake. The first year I dropped 30 pounds and the following year another 30. I was at a comfortable weight last year and was still eating decently, ex: Special K for breakfast, healthy snacks, subway for lunch, and a light dinner. Sometimes splurge on the weekends. Anyway I moved away from home 6 months ago and I have put on 15 pounds. I realize I may be depressed, possibly homesick more than likely. I noticed my weight and have started to slowly get back into wetting fit again. However, I feel lazy to workout I am losing motivation. I forget about dieting some days and just obsess over my weight but don't do anything about it. I log on here everyday, have a few friends and family on here and try to log in and post my diary up to watch my calories. I just feel like this whole thing, trying to lose those 15 pounds is getting the best of me. I'm so scared to go back to 200 and every pound that I gain frightens me. Anyone out there afraid to gain weight too? With a similar situation? Am I developing an eating disorder?

Replies

• Yazza2
    Yazza2 Posts: 31
    Options
    You've got to think about it as a life choice, not a diet!

Only weigh yourself weekly until you reach your goal weight. Once you reach it stop weighing yourself and just go by how you look.

Throw away all your big clothes so you don't have anything to fall back into, when your jeans get tighter, you know you must watch it.

Make healthy food decisions all the time, not just weight loss time.

Keep goals that you can keep forever not just until you're thin.

I did the same thing, I lost it all then I just went lazy and put it all on again. But not this time.

I am determined this is a life choice! You should be too :)

Take on an exercise you will stick to.. like run for 20 - 30 minutes every second day, and keep to it. You needn't obsess over calorie intake if you know you're eating well.

No processed, No bread, Be good!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yes, i'm afraid too, and i'm sure most people who have struggled with their weight and then dropped some is also afraid. It seems like a pretty normal feeling. Gaining weight frightens me because I have worked so hard to try to take it off. To see all your hard work go down the drain is a horrible feeling! I don't know if you're developing an eating disorder if you're not taking drastic steps to lose it.

Maybe you can just cut a little at a time and see how comfortable you are with that? Working out doesn't have to be unpleasant. Try to find something you enjoy. It doesn't have to be intense cardio or something.

All you can do is take it one day at a time. And try to look at is in the light that you're doing something healthy and positive for your mental and physical health by taking these steps. You'll be ok :) If you are really concerned though, talking to a therapist never hurts, either.

:flowerforyou:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

That's crap
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thank you yes I understand your reply that is great advice
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

That's crap

What she said.
  • Missycvt
    Options
    Yes no bread no processed food got it. Any motivation to get up and workout it just seems like I want to lie down all day I hate it
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    yes i am really worried. and every time i express it to my family or friends they say "you am crazy" "youve worked too hard to regain it all" blah blah. its bull****. i think without a fairly close eye on it i could regain by the end of 2014. i dont eat only when i am hungry, i love food. so yea, i hope i have the skills to maintain, and if i need to, cut back to lose those 10 pounds that creep on. good luck to us all!
  • Murphy0126
    Murphy0126 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Listen to mostly everything that user said, except this garbage.

I eat bread everyday. I love it. I enjoy the delicious sprouted grain with flax, or good ol fashioned homemade white. Throw a couple slices of processed meaty goodness on there and you got yourself a party.

If you limit too much and buy into this hype of, "NO SUGAR, NO BREAD, NO PROCESSED"... then you are going to crash and burn.

You can eat all the same things that you eat now, just in moderation, sticking to your calories, and introduce and incorporate some more nutrient dense and whole foods into your day that will fill you up without adding too many calories.

Rob
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You've got to think about it as a life choice, not a diet!

Only weigh yourself weekly until you reach your goal weight. Once you reach it stop weighing yourself and just go by how you look.

Throw away all your big clothes so you don't have anything to fall back into, when your jeans get tighter, you know you must watch it.

Make healthy food decisions all the time, not just weight loss time.

Keep goals that you can keep forever not just until you're thin.

I did the same thing, I lost it all then I just went lazy and put it all on again. But not this time.

I am determined this is a life choice! You should be too :)

Take on an exercise you will stick to.. like run for 20 - 30 minutes every second day, and keep to it. You needn't obsess over calorie intake if you know you're eating well.

I was going to say great advice, I totally agree. Until I read the last line that is.
    So I would say ignore the comment about processed food and bread (and also the one about calories tbh, you can still eat too much even if its all "healthy"). The rest of it is good advice though.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes no bread no processed food got it. Any motivation to get up and workout it just seems like I want to lie down all day I hate it

Find something you enjoy rather than something you feel you have to do.
    Maybe try a dance class or go swimming or something?
    Its much easier to find something you want to do than try and force yourself to do something you don't.

ETA: Ignore the processed food / bread nonsense!! Nothing wrong with a good piece of bread :)
  • Missycvt
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the cheering me on. I see there are lots of helpful friendly people here who have similar worries or that just lend a hand to listen. That's great I am happy for that and thankful
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't think it sounds like an eating disorder but like others said...see a therapist if it really bugs you, in my opinion (and personal experience with other issues) therapy can reallllllly help!!

I understand the fear of gaining. I was always 230+ even by high school and now at 37 being 194 lb, if I eat too much salt and the scale says 196 I have this moment of panic that it was all a fluke and I'll be back to 270 in no time (or higher). I keep thinking once I get down to 180 and lower I will stop feeling so panicked about that but I doubt it.

Even though I've seen 300 (shudder)...I get the thing with 200 lb being scary to you. I feel that way too. I never want to see the other side of that again.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I think that most of us worry about gaining it back. Maybe we should...after all statistics are not in our favor of losing and keeping it off.

I think that one mistakes that people make after losing weight is that they can go back to eating whatever and as much as we want.

I have already started trying to come to terms with the fact that I will always have to control my "calories in...calories out" if I want to be successful. To me...success in losing the weight will not be as rewarding as keeping it off will be.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Find something you enjoy rather than something you feel you have to do.
    Maybe try a dance class or go swimming or something?
    Its much easier to find something you want to do than try and force yourself to do something you don't.

ETA: Ignore the processed food / bread nonsense!! Nothing wrong with a good piece of bread :)

Give me a processed cracker any day and I am one happy girl! I can't imagine going through life without them.:sad:
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    Avoiding bread, sugar and processed foods makes it easier to meet your caloric goals. These foods are packed with calories compared to the nutritional value you are getting. Can you lose weight and eat them? Sure can, but you better pay close attention to your portion sizes. I would rather eat a big steak and a full plate of veggies though, much better nutritional value from your cals.
  • edalvara
    Options
    A lot of people will argue against what I am about to say. People are entitled to their opinions but this is what worked for ME.

I shed 30lbs in less than 4 months doing the following (and have maintained this weight for almost a year)... this is also for someone who works out during lunch...or in the morning. modify around your workout schedule.

Dont eat breakfast. it will be extremely hard for the first 2-3 weeks, early impossible. Black coffee, water, diet coke are all ok.

Train in a fasted state. Consume only 10g BCAA and glutamine before working out.

After working out protein shake, normal meal, vitamins, etc...

Eat all day until 9pm. Stop. continue fast till next day 1pm...

Watch your calories and carbs. get enough protein, stay away from fast food and eating out.

After the first month this became very easy and now its part of my lifestyle, I am simply never hungry in the morning...you will find it difficult to consume 2000 healthy calories in this smaller feeding window (even more difficult to consume 2600 as i try)...

Good luck.

one thing i left out is by doing this, you can eat more during this smaller window meaning your meals are more satisfying.
    I am completely full during lunch but barely consume 800 calories.
    i do not get hungry until my normal dinner time which is 7-8 but eating a 1700 calorie healthy dinner isnt too easy so ill snack on fruits and protein during the day. But even with snacks i still need a 1000+ calorie dinner...so again im full and satisfied.
  • marjorianna
    marjorianna Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I so understand how you feel. I have been close to 300 lbs and now I'm at a weight and size I never thought I could maintain. But I have gotten use to it, love it and never want to go back. I get really fired up about fitness goals so much so that weight maintenance is a side benefit. Finding workouts that you enjoy really helps. I started off with Walk Away the Pounds (several years ago) and now I'm doing P90X3 (who would have thought). My father thinks my transformation is a miracle, lol.

What has also helped me is I never feel neglected because I always have a small amount of whatever I want. Sometimes I eat more than I wanted to but I just get right back on the band wagon afterwards (as in the same day). I make healthy foods that I enjoy and keep healthy snacks with me because I am a grazer. Don't try to change yourself but find a way that works with your tendancies.

I know some people avoid scales and go by how their clothes fit but that has never worked for me. As much as I get scared every time I step on the scale, I have to face the numbers because I will decieve myself.

I wish you all the best. I know you can do it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Avoiding bread, sugar and processed foods makes it easier to meet your caloric goals. These foods are packed with calories compared to the nutritional value you are getting. Can you lose weight and eat them? Sure can, but you better pay close attention to your portion sizes. I would rather eat a big steak and a full plate of veggies though, much better nutritional value from your cals.

And that's great if you are low carb, but most aren't so while you say bread is lacking in nutrients, so is a plate of steak and veggies.