new to running and Protein.

Options
I am about 6 weeks into my new life style and things are going fairly well. I started at 218 pounds and I am down to 202 pounds in just under 6 weeks. I am doing the c25k and I am running 5km in about 40 minutes now, I do a full body weight circuit once a week and I am running 5-6 times a week. My goal is to lose between 12-20 more pounds. My preference would be not to lose any of the muscle I do have and I realize that weight training once a week might not do that for me. I am just getting into running and it is my main focus at the moment. Would you guys recommend a protein powder from what I have mentioned?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Would you guys recommend a protein powder from what I have mentioned?
    Only if you aren't getting enough protein in your diet from food. Powders aren't magic, they just supplement your diet if you aren't eating enough as is.
  • edalvara
    Options
    I do not think their is a particular brand or anything that will specifically help with this situation.

It is important to meet your TDEE or stay just below it but no more than 500 calories below it.

I would also recommend lifting maybe 2 times a week, ideally 3 would be good. this will prevent you from losing

any additional muscle mass.

good luck and welcome.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Your protein macro is set quite low. I would definitely up it - general recommendation is 1.1 to 1.5 g/lb of lean body mass. I weight 125 and aim to get ~ 100 g/ day myself. If running is your main focus, and what you love to do, just keep doing it. OTOH, if you are seriously worried about losing muscle mass, I would add a couple of days a week to your weight training program.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Whey protien is pretty generic. Find a 5lbs tub that is cheap and tastes good. Don't get blinded by marketing with all the brands that add in BCAAs, vitemens, and other stuff.

I use ON Gold standard 100% whey.
  • Andrewclancey8
    Options
    I Guess that leads to the next question. I have read that at my body weight I should be consuming between 74g and 202g per day. I typically get over 74g but less then 100g. How much should I be getting with these goals?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I Guess that leads to the next question. I have read that at my body weight I should be consuming between 74g and 202g per day. I typically get over 74g but less then 100g. How much should I be getting with these goals?

I'd shoot for 150-170g of protein daily.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

And I would consider that a min, not a max.
  • trogalicious
    Options

And I would consider that a min, not a max.
    exactly. a good starting point.
  • Andrewclancey8
    Options
    To stay within my calories I think I would have to supplement then.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    To stay within my calories I think I would have to supplement then.
    if only there were a website where you could preplan meals...

all kidding aside, I don't think it's impossible to hit 150-170g of protein on a reasonable intake. What's your calorie goal?
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    if it's not been pointed out already, muscle building and running are not good bedfellows. it will be challenging to attain those goals simultaneously.

if your aim is muscle building, add protein - whey is fine, although soy and casein also have their place.

if your goal is running, especially for time/distance, you will need more carbs; glycogen replenishment becomes your main focus.

*I run marathons - I went through this struggle myself, if it helps.
  • Andrewclancey8
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1700 calories. I am not looking to build muscle but rather maintain while focusing on running. I am running in order to lose weight.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1700 calories. I am not looking to build muscle but rather maintain while focusing on running. I am running in order to lose weight.
    where did that goal come from?
  • Andrewclancey8
    Options
    Calorie goal is 1700 which is pretty easy for me to hit due to the fact that I burn 300-350 at the gym daily.
  • Andrewclancey8
    Options
    MFP
  • trogalicious
    Options
    MFP
    are you counting your workouts? Just eating the 1700? I would check another calculator. Iifym.com comes to mind. Just seems awfully low. Or update your goals to 1 lb per week... max.
  • Andrewclancey8
    Options
    I add my workout calories on workout days.... burn 350 at gym allow 2050. I have checked a few other sites and have seen as low as 1560 per day for my height and weight. I will check your recommended site now.
  • Andrewclancey8
    Options
    maintain is 2757 so with trying to lose 2lbs a week that puts me at 1757?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    with 30 lbs to go, 2 lbs per week may be a bit aggressive. Set it for 1 lb, eat more, still lose, profit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Unless you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is much too afressive. I would suggest 1 lb per week at most if u are worried about losing lean muscle. For your last 10 lbs that should change to 0.5 lbs. smaller deficit + strength training + adequate protein will minimoze the amount of lbm lost