Training shoes... which do you think good?

Options
on the hunt for some quality trainers ... leaning towards nike ONLY because I don't know the quality of any other brand...

Thanks!

Replies

• jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    really its gonna depend on what kind of training you will be doing. i have several different pairs for different types of training. nike and new balance are my 2 go to shoes for running and light weight lifting. if im doing squats i wear my Adidas powerlifts, and deadlifts are either barefooted or flat sole shoes like chuck taylors or vans.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    bumping because I wanna see what others think too.

I recently purchased asics gel kayano 20 shoes for the gym. I spent around 180$ on them so they weren't cheap. I asked the sales person specifically if they were cross trainers. He goes on to tell me all of asics shoes are designed to be used for cross training and that these ones even more so because they had some sort of stability in the midsole. Anyway, let me tell you...I have very little lateral support in them and it worries me because i cross train more than i run so it's necessary. We bought them cross border and really don't want to go back to return them but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for cross training. I am now looking into true cross trainers and very upset i dropped that kind of money on a shoe that doesn't serve me correctly. I have tried on a pair of asics gel craze and they felt wonderful on foot and I did a bunch of lateral moves in store and my foot barely moved. I'm waiting for them to go on sale. I think they would work beautifully for cross training.
  • SneakyWaff1es
    SneakyWaff1es Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Kayano's are running shoes, no lateral stability. They're stability running shoes with the post for runners that pronate. Flat soled shoes - New Balance makes some, Reebok makes the Nano, etc. - are ideal for lifting as they have a thin sole that doesn't absorb the energy you're expending to lift or push. Flat soles also keep your foot and ankle in better alignment for lifting than a running shoe which traditionally has a higher heel than toe.

The sales person that sold them to you was full of it. They're fantastic running shoes if you pronate - I ran in them for years in the Army. Outside of that...I wear them with my scrubs at work.
  • bitten2better
    bitten2better Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    on the hunt for some quality trainers ... leaning towards nike ONLY because I don't know the quality of any other brand...

Thanks!

You are going to get a lot of different answers based upon what OTHER people like, but remember these 2 things..

1) You don't say what kind of 'training" you're doing. Different shoes are designed for different things
    2) You're body and what it needs is different than anyone else. What works for one person, doesn't work for others.

But, in the essence of teaching you a little more about shoe brands here's what I use...

Running - Vibram's, Ultra's, or Saucony's. I struggle to run in anything that doesn't have a 0 drop. This is because of the way my body is put together as well as multiple surgeries that I've had. I tried to run in a pair of Asics and it makes me feel like I'm in high heels.

Lifting - Vibrams or Ultra's. Same thing with the 0 drop. I'm front (boob) heavy at it is, I don't need anything else causing me to tip forward on a squat. I want my feet to be in control when I lift, not my shoes.

Working (I'm an athletic trainer, so I'm outside a lot) - vibrams if I'm out at softball and standing on concrete. A lower drop Asics on the soccer field because my feet don't get as wet.

Cross training - barefoot if at all possible or Saucony's.

I can not wear Nike's. At all. I walk around in a pair of Nike's for 10 minutes and I wish I could cut my feet off. However, they work for others.

Evaluate your needs. Have a professional analyze your gait and help you understand what your body needs. Don't just follow a trend. Many will say I am hoping on the minimalist bandwagon BUT, I'm a highly educated health care professional and have a firm understanding of my body and what it needs. Also - I've been rocking out minimalism before it became cool.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Thanks!

You are going to get a lot of different answers based upon what OTHER people like, but remember these 2 things..

1) You don't say what kind of 'training" you're doing. Different shoes are designed for different things
    2) You're body and what it needs is different than anyone else. What works for one person, doesn't work for others.

But, in the essence of teaching you a little more about shoe brands here's what I use...

Running - Vibram's, Ultra's, or Saucony's. I struggle to run in anything that doesn't have a 0 drop. This is because of the way my body is put together as well as multiple surgeries that I've had. I tried to run in a pair of Asics and it makes me feel like I'm in high heels.

Lifting - Vibrams or Ultra's. Same thing with the 0 drop. I'm front (boob) heavy at it is, I don't need anything else causing me to tip forward on a squat. I want my feet to be in control when I lift, not my shoes.

Working (I'm an athletic trainer, so I'm outside a lot) - vibrams if I'm out at softball and standing on concrete. A lower drop Asics on the soccer field because my feet don't get as wet.

Cross training - barefoot if at all possible or Saucony's.

I can not wear Nike's. At all. I walk around in a pair of Nike's for 10 minutes and I wish I could cut my feet off. However, they work for others.

Evaluate your needs. Have a professional analyze your gait and help you understand what your body needs. Don't just follow a trend. Many will say I am hoping on the minimalist bandwagon BUT, I'm a highly educated health care professional and have a firm understanding of my body and what it needs. Also - I've been rocking out minimalism before it became cool.

A shoe for cross training and lifting would be my best choice of words. (btw I'm also very top heavy lol so I know what you mean)

Thanks for that info, I'm not trying to follow a trend of any kind, just looking for a starting point to figure out the best options.

... Sorry I thought using the term training was enough, I tend to leave questions way to open ended sometimes,
    ... I don't need a running shoe since I'm not too interested in running in general and I have walking shoes...

I've tried doing my workouts in my walking shoes cause that's what I have, but I've nearly rolled my ankle several times so I've been doing them barefoot.
    I was under the impression a good shoe would help give me better stability and support....I'm just as content doing the workout barefoot since i am at home anyway, if that is just as good as having a good shoe....?

Where would I go to find someone to analyze my gait?... I didn't know I could do that.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    Kayano's are running shoes, no lateral stability. They're stability running shoes with the post for runners that pronate. Flat soled shoes - New Balance makes some, Reebok makes the Nano, etc. - are ideal for lifting as they have a thin sole that doesn't absorb the energy you're expending to lift or push. Flat soles also keep your foot and ankle in better alignment for lifting than a running shoe which traditionally has a higher heel than toe.

The sales person that sold them to you was full of it. They're fantastic running shoes if you pronate - I ran in them for years in the Army. Outside of that...I wear them with my scrubs at work.

Don't I know it now. ;( And the funny thing (or not so funny thing) is the guy that sold them to me said he is a personal trainer so he knows his shoes. Huh..biggest load of crap i've heard. I'm using them just until I can find a reasonable priced pair of cross trainers, especially since I already dropped all this money on the other ones. I plan on using them outside as the weather turns nicer. Very expensive pair of leisure shoes I might add. Next time I will research before I buy.
  • ReturnToRunning
    Options
    I would suggest finding a specialty running store in your area. Whether you are running or not, They can take a look at how you move in a neutral shoe and help you get a shoe with the right support that will protect your fee the best and help keep you from getting injured. My favorite brand has been Saucony . .. . but I also like . .. Nike, Asics, and New Balance.
  • debiann1958
    debiann1958 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recently bought Nike Pegasus and am really happy with them. I am training for a 10 km run in Winnipeg MB May 24th. I haven't run any races since school so this should be interesting. One day at a time!!
  • debiann1958
    debiann1958 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree, checking in with a good running store is the way to go!! We have a Running Room here and they are very knowledgeable.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my arches so I got some Brooks specifically for that purpose. They fit like a glove and are very light. They have a double elastic band in the arch that keeps it supported which is what I need. And they were only like $90.
  • lovehatefood
    lovehatefood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just bought Saucony grid cohesion women's shoes - They were very reasonablem, $40 on sale, $70 regular price & I have worn them only a few times but can tell a difference during my workout already! I agree with finding a shoe that is good for you - I cannot wear Nike's, I need arch and heel support and I need to make sure that they are wide but not too wide.. So in this case I bought a 9.5 wide, instead of a 10 or 10wide. I used to be all Adidas and that was it, but this brand came highly recommended by many! Good luck -