Motivational Downers :(

Options
2»

Replies

• DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    it doesn't help when people tell you look puffy either. seriously. puffy. WAHHHH :sad: :sad:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Scales are liars!!! After 2 years of not having a scale at home, I finally decided to get a body analyzer scale to measure not just weight, but also body fat, since I'm trying to build muscle and lower my BF%. To my surprise when I get on it (after my morning constitutional of course) it said I weighed 170lbs, 15lbs heavier from the last time I weighed myself on the scale at work almost 2 months before. I knew I had indulged over the holidays, but not that much and I had been back on track since the new year. So when I got to work, though I was dressed, but on an empty stomach I weighed myself again...157lbs...whew! that I could handle. 170 had to be off since my measurements had not gone up nor my clothes fitting tighter and not even a die hard body building could put on that much muscle in such a brief amount of time. Not sure if the BF% is accurate, but it at least gives me a starting point and I will have to try to ignore the weight.
  • jrwilliams124
    jrwilliams124 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A motivational downer for me that isn't scale related is the way people talk to each other before a class sometimes. Last Wednesday I thought I'd take a step class for the first time. (like first time in a class period) and before class there was this group of ladies at the right side of the class who were sitting there gossiping. Saying things like "I saw her in the locker room in her underwear and couldn't believe it, I mean you know what her butt looks like. If I was her I would change before I come so no one would see me...." Not even kidding. It really killed my excitement about trying something new. Even though I knew this conversation had nothing to do with me I still felt really awful after all that negativity. I know I shouldn't let if affect me but it still made me sad you know?

This kind of thing is one of the main reason I am afraid to start at a gym. I am down 25 and have a lot to go and I am ready to start a program but do not want to deal with that kind of thing.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My brain knows we can vary in weight 5lbs or more a day, and over the course of a week, but I agree- it's still such a bummer when you get on the same scale, or a new one, and see that go up when you can't think of anything to cause that. Frustrating. I try to just let it go but I won't like, seeing a number I didn't like in the morning has been a start to a "oh f it day" which never helps!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Don't let such things affect your motivation. What you've done here is essentially compared apples to oranges. Stick with comparing apples to apples. Weigh yourself on a single scale if weighing in is your chosen way to mark progress.