will my calorie goal decrease on here as i lose weight?

Options
i haven't taken notice if it has decreased as i never go over, do i have to update something in my settings or will it simply decrease as i add my new lower weight each week?

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    it will usually prompt you and ASK you if you would like to change your calorie goal to your loss.
  • joeykrax
    joeykrax Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i haven't taken notice if it has decreased as i never go over, do i have to update something in my settings or will it simply decrease as i add my new lower weight each week?

If you use the app it asks you if you want to recalculate your target calories after you lose each 10 lbs. Not sure if it is a setting if you have to set up or if it's done automatically.
  • DebraKHempfling
    DebraKHempfling Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't think so.... it takes 600 calories just to keep your brain functioning correctly..... the other 600 is to prevent muscle loss, but I try never to hit my goal lol and I get these little messages from MFP telling me I am not consuming enough calories.....as you lose your metabolism may increase and you will notice that you are burning calories at a faster rate and my even want or need to increase you calories to not feel sluggish or tired....those are the days I cheat mercilessly lol Good Luck! Keep up the good work
    !!!
  • kaydoh2014
    kaydoh2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Supposedly the app will prompt you to recalculate after you lose 10 lbs, but I didn't notice that happen when I lost 10. But you can do it online. Go to myfitnesspal.com, go to myhome, then goals, and then follow the prompts. As you lose weight, your body will need less calories to maintain so it's in your best interest to adjust your calorie goal as you lose. Otherwise you're going to wind up frustrated because you're still taking in your initial calorie goal and, at the very least, won't be losing weight at the same rate. Good luck!
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What about if you're not using the app? ( I am assuming this means a smart phone/tablet thingy)
    I only use the online version. I've lost more than 10lbs and I've not been asked yet to change.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    just go to Goals at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals and re-run the calcs
  • noah_mac
    noah_mac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wondered this myself actually. Also why 10lbs? is that when your metab noticeably changes or is it just a nice number?
  • birgitte101
    birgitte101 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    just go to Goals at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals and re-run the calcs

Thanks!!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you have a good bit of fat to lose, initially your new calorie goal will be less. However, as you get close to your goal weight, your recommended allowance will increase closer to what is needed to maintain present weight/body composition.
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you have a good bit of fat to lose, initially your new calorie goal will be less. However, as you get close to your goal weight, your recommended allowance will increase closer to what is needed to maintain present weight/body composition.

This! You won't keep subtracting calories as you lose weight, you may not drop the weight as quickly because you have less body fat to lose, but you will still have at least 1200 calories a day.

There are some great posts explaining tdee and bmr on here if you really want to figure out how much you should be eating based on body composition.

Best of luck to you!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to wait to hit the 10 pound mark. You can get the daily calorie allowance to change by going into goals, make a change, and then change it back. For instance, change losing 1 pound a week to 2 pounds, save it, then go back and change it back to 1 pound again.