Eating better/less making periods worse?

Options
I don't know if this is a weird/awkward question for some people >>
I used to have pretty heavy periods until I started my nuvaring. Since starting the birth control, I have been getting VERY light, very short periods (for the last 6-7 months, I believe.) I finally got up off my *kitten* and started working on losing weight for real a couple of weeks ago, and my period is crazy heavy. My cramps are much worse too.

Is this normal at all? .-.
I tried to google it, I didn't find much of anything.

Replies

• PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Any major change can mess with your cycle
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    They shouldn't be related. But I don't know much about the birth control you are on.
    I'd check with your doctor or a birth control clinic.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    just go to the doc...they can help

kinda weird since most people who start losing weight and exercising it usually gets lighter and less crampier
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you incorporated a lot of commercial diet foods? Soy can really mess with your hormones and is found it tons and tons of prepackaged diet foods, even ones not marketed for high protein. For example, I cannot find a ginger lemon tea that does not have soy in it!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is a weird/awkward question for some people >>
    I used to have pretty heavy periods until I started my nuvaring. Since starting the birth control, I have been getting VERY light, very short periods (for the last 6-7 months, I believe.) I finally got up off my *kitten* and started working on losing weight for real a couple of weeks ago, and my period is crazy heavy. My cramps are much worse too.

Is this normal at all? .-.
    I tried to google it, I didn't find much of anything.

Changes in diet, exercise, etc. can have an effect on your menstrual cycle.

However, usually women experience lighter and less painful periods when exercising. Not saying this is the case for everyone though.

Contact your doctor whenever you experience a change in your cycle.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the side effects the Nuvaring but I have Implanon and the side effect is variations in cycle from zero to regular to everything in between. I went for about six to seven months after insertion to having no cycle at all to it going back to normal. I would speak with your doctor about your concerns.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If it's only been a few weeks since you've made the diet/exercise changes I would say that the heaviness of your period doesn't have to do with that. I'm not a doctor but it does seem like that's a very short period of time to change a cycle that is a month long. Any birth control can give you changes in your cycle even when you've been on it for a while and your doctor should know about changes.