Veganism

Options
Hey all,

I have tried to be a vegan in the past but failed after a week because I couldn't live without my babybell cheese wheels (so fun to eat!) and yogurt, I'm good eating meat alternatives, but I am also a sushi lover, I mean I have watched the documentary "Vegucated" which totally opened my eyes to this world and I cried throughout all the footage of the innocent animals being slaughtered. I guess what I am asking or rather, how can you go to family parties, go out to eat, or even bake/cook and not feel like you are depriving yourself or spending a bundle of money on vegan food? I'd love nothing more than to give this a try again but I am just worried that I won't be able to a) afford it and b) be able to cook and bake all that hoopla, I'm not a huge cooker and baker because I live on a busy schedule, I'm a full time student and work!

What is your input or advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    My advice is, if you don't have huge ethical reasons for not eating any animals and/or products made by animals, or medical reasons, you really don't have to eat vegan. If you're sorry for the poor animals, google for meat and dairy companies that treat their animals well, go to a local farmer's market if you have something like that. Not every company is evil and treating animals like crap.
  • That's true! I just feel that it is a good way to eat and what not, I just want to prepare myself you know?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    That's true! I just feel that it is a good way to eat and what not, I just want to prepare myself you know?
    It's not especially. Vegetarian diets have been shown to be better for overall health.
  • Good in terms of moral reasons
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    That's true! I just feel that it is a good way to eat and what not, I just want to prepare myself you know?
    It's not especially. Vegetarian diets have been shown to be better for overall health.

MMMMMKay. Well this is only partly true. Vegetarian (and even more so Vegan) diets have been shown, in good studies, to be superior to the average American diet - ie what most people eat. I have never seen any good data comparing vegetarian or vegan diets to other types of "healthy" or "clean" eating. If anyone has, please post! I suspect that most or all of the benefit is due to weight control, avoidance of too much saturated fat, etc etc.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If you want animals in general to be treated better, you should buy from good companies and boycott the bad ones. Cause market shares and stuff.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I think a vegan diet, rich in plant foods, is the healthiest diet someone can be on. It's about the animals too of course. I don't care if your buying 'free range', 'air chilled', or 'organic' animal products. They were raised on a factory farm, and they all get slaughtered the same way.

Maybe transitioning to a "pescatarian" diet would be a good starting point for you?

I find that giving up meat and dairy is less about 'replacement' which other fake alternatives, and more about just eating till your full of other foods. You can't 'crave' something when your full. At least in my experience.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Vegans get no bacon. Argument over.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    No one is perfect. I believe you could do your best and eat the most veggies you can- try not to eat animal products, but dont beat yourself up if you make a mistake. Its super hard and I have found a bunch of things that seem like they would be Ok to eat- then they aren't.

I believe anything in life worth it- takes time and hard work.

I have had a hard time because I keep eating what is around or because someone offers something. I have to learn not to worry about offending someone. Just a simple no, but thank you for offering is enough.

Good luck
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

MMMMMKay. Well this is only partly true. Vegetarian (and even more so Vegan) diets have been shown, in good studies, to be superior to the average American diet - ie what most people eat. I have never seen any good data comparing vegetarian or vegan diets to other types of "healthy" or "clean" eating. If anyone has, please post! I suspect that most or all of the benefit is due to weight control, avoidance of too much saturated fat, etc etc.
    I can't find the study at the moment - I am looking and I'm 90% sure I didn't dream it.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=814540 < this study concludes that a vegetarian diet is comparable on most health markers to non-vegetarian, assuming non-veg is eating 'comparably'; direct quote from the abstract:
    Overall, the data suggest that the health of Western vegetarians is good and similar to that of comparable non-vegetarians.

But, as the OP is more concerned with ethics than anything else, this point is rather moot for the purpose of this discussion anyway.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Family parties... my family is very supportive and understanding of my choices. When I visit my mom, she'll actually take me grocery shopping with her as she's preparing for meals so I can pick out things I like. She is pretty open minded so she'll try my vegan goodies for lunches and breakfasts. My meat-and-potatoes dad, not so much, so I will usually fix my own version of whatever they are eating for dinner.

Restaurants... I choose vegan-friendly restaurants. If friends pick the restaurant, I will call ahead and see if they can make something off-menu. I have never once been told no. Some of the best vegan meals I have had have been in non-vegan restaurants when the chef prepared something special for me.

Shopping... I find it is all about planning. If I go to the store knowing what I want, what I am making to eat that week, it doesn't cost me a lot. I actually think my grocery bills are much lower now. A serving of beans from the bulk bin is far, far cheaper than a package of meat.

Baking... Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. 'Nuff said. Also Pinterest is a goldmind of vegan baking recipes.

I really don't find this lifestyle challenging. I think when you are truly passionate about something you are generally pretty happy to do whatever needs to be done to pursue it. I am passionate about animals and it is a delight for me to shop and cook vegan meals. I enjoy cooking for others and introducing them to tasty, cruelty-free treats. It may sound silly, but it brings me joy to look down at my plate – my decision comes from a place of love and compassion and it feels really good to "walk the walk." I think, perhaps, it takes time for your palette to adjust to a new way of eating just as it would take time to transition from eating processed foods to whole foods, fatty foods to healthful ones. But you get there and it becomes what you prefer and what you crave. I used to eat bacon and cheese and more bacon and more cheese... now the smell of either turns my stomach. Then again, there are some amazing recipes for homemade cashew cheese out there and they are simple to make.

Hope that helps! :smile:
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    @ironanimal- thanks for the link! "Comparable" (as opposed to a lot better) is also kind of what I remember but I am no expert on this topic. I have a cousin who is a nurse and a vegan (I am a doctor and a non-vegan fairly health eater) - and we have had this conversation as well. I think the data will come out later and will be interesting.

I'm an animal lover too and have often commented to people that I would for sure be a vegetarian were it not for supermarkets!! The good thing is that I live in Nicaragua, where all beef is grass fed, all chickens are free range (in and out of people's houses usually), and all pigs live in the front yard.
    Seriously. Except for the little piggies, who get to come in the house. Ethical issues are a LOT worse up there where most of y'all live.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Family parties... my family is very supportive and understanding of my choices. When I visit my mom, she'll actually take me grocery shopping with her as she's preparing for meals so I can pick out things I like. She is pretty open minded so she'll try my vegan goodies for lunches and breakfasts. My meat-and-potatoes dad, not so much, so I will usually fix my own version of whatever they are eating for dinner.

Restaurants... I choose vegan-friendly restaurants. If friends pick the restaurant, I will call ahead and see if they can make something off-menu. I have never once been told no. Some of the best vegan meals I have had have been in non-vegan restaurants when the chef prepared something special for me.

Shopping... I find it is all about planning. If I go to the store knowing what I want, what I am making to eat that week, it doesn't cost me a lot. I actually think my grocery bills are much lower now. A serving of beans from the bulk bin is far, far cheaper than a package of meat.

Baking... Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. 'Nuff said. Also Pinterest is a goldmind of vegan baking recipes.

I really don't find this lifestyle challenging. I think when you are truly passionate about something you are generally pretty happy to do whatever needs to be done to pursue it. I am passionate about animals and it is a delight for me to shop and cook vegan meals. I enjoy cooking for others and introducing them to tasty, cruelty-free treats. It may sound silly, but it brings me joy to look down at my plate – my decision comes from a place of love and compassion and it feels really good to "walk the walk." I think, perhaps, it takes time for your palette to adjust to a new way of eating just as it would take time to transition from eating processed foods to whole foods, fatty foods to healthful ones. But you get there and it becomes what you prefer and what you crave. I used to eat bacon and cheese and more bacon and more cheese... now the smell of either turns my stomach. Then again, there are some amazing recipes for homemade cashew cheese out there and they are simple to make.

Hope that helps! :smile:

I agree 100% with this :) If you choose something because you WANT to do it, you'll be successful. If you choose something because you THINK it's what you should do, well...it's just not going to happen.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    @ironanimal- thanks for the link! "Comparable" (as opposed to a lot better) is also kind of what I remember but I am no expert on this topic. I have a cousin who is a nurse and a vegan (I am a doctor and a non-vegan fairly health eater) - and we have had this conversation as well. I think the data will come out later and will be interesting.

I'm an animal lover too and have often commented to people that I would for sure be a vegetarian were it not for supermarkets!! The good thing is that I live in Nicaragua, where all beef is grass fed, all chickens are free range (in and out of people's houses usually), and all pigs live in the front yard.
    Seriously. Except for the little piggies, who get to come in the house. Ethical issues are a LOT worse up there where most of y'all live.

No, ethical people are alive and well up here, it just that our food system is so incredibly industrialized because there is no way food production can meet demand by farming Nicaraguan-style.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    I think the only valid reason to go vegan is for ethical reasons. It's not any healthier than an omnivore diet. Every time I tried to go vegan I always felt awful even though I was doing everything right and gave it time.
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....lots of ways to look at a plantstrong diet. I have a medical reason for choosing a plantstrong lifestyle. I had 3 vertebra in my neck fused, which didn't fix ongoing disc issues causing the exiting nerves (down both arms) to get pinched. It only takes a small amount of swelling of thesurrounding tissues to cause symptoms. I chose to try a vegan diet to see if it really cut down on swelling/ inflammation. I realized within a few weeks that I was feeling SO much more alive and full of energy that I didn't want to go back to my prior eating habits. I grow veggies in an organic garden, which makes it a lot easier! After the first year, I began to notice less severe symptoms. As I continued to refine my diet across the last 2 years, taking out more sugar products, I:flowerforyou: saw huge changes. Now if my neck hurts, it goes away quickly and doesn't increase in intensity or start the nerve pain down my arms. No numbness! I can do more physically and am able to garden with the best of them (including digging up new plots, spreading dirt and compost by the wheelbarrow full, and generally surprising myself at this age! I think that qualifies as a different reason (beside ethics) for choosing a plantstrong life!
  • ausheli
    ausheli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Why does nobody think of the millions of defenceless vegetables being slaughtered everyday??? Lol jk, we have switched to ethical meat suppliers I feel less guilty and the meat is extra tasty, harder to get but worth the effort, we have even visited some farms to see the ethical raising and treatment of livestock, most farmers who adhere to this method are usually more than welcoming to give you a tour of their farm
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Shoot your own meat then there is no ethical issue. You can grant an animal a quick and merciful death and use it for your nourishment. All deer die, all deer die horribly. Eaten alive by predators, freeze or starve to death. The kindest death is from the bullet of a well trained hunter.
  • stronghealthywoman
    stronghealthywoman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think that being a vegan should be more then just ethical reasons, but health reasons too.

Watch Forks over knives
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love animals, they are delicious. Especially baby seals.