New Again! Need friends and help with hypothyroidism

Options
2»

Replies

• jenie70
    jenie70 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What kind of medicine are you taking for hypothyroidism?
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I started about 3 weeks ago. I found myself extremely tired this week, too.... like problematically tired. I go back to retest my numbers in 3 weeks. (I too am on the Levothyroxine)
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's and am looking for friends as well, anyone please add me. It's nice to have support from those going through the same things :smile:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I have been reading around various interrelated health problems. I discovered the low functioning thyroid can influence the sugar absorption and make it more easy for it to be deposited, it also can cause cravings for sweet things especially chocolate. Once on the right dose and form of "thyroxine" all should be ""normal". What ever your normal is.

All the best.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    i am definitely a chocoholic. Pepsi, too, actually...
  • Scarbo1964
    Options
    Hi MFP! This is my second time with MFP. Last time here was a couple years ago. I have had several issues with weight loss in the past few years which wrecked my body. I had an eating disorders, depression and just recently found out I have hypothyroidism. I am so frustrated and depressed I cant even explain it. I have been doing everything I have been told! I see a naturalapath. .eat organic religiouly and exercise 5 days a week for an hour. No weight loss and horrible mood!! If anyone has any advice or personal stories of their own it would be appreciated.

I have this as well. I am a 49 year old male that about 5 months ago everything seemed to go down hill with my health. The reason I am replying is that I see you mentioned depression. I don't know what it is, but I am not the same always in a good mood guy. I am just kinda plaaaaaaaaaa. I have been prescribed the Levothyroxine as well as one of the others that replied, but have not been back to see if the problem has been corrected. Well, I would like to learn more about it so if you don't mind male friends I will friend request. Best of luck with this.
  • lprincess1970
    Options
    Right now I am only on a trial period of a supplement called Thyrostim. I go back to my NP in 3 weeks. .if there is no change in my T3 then he will put me on Armour. God I hope something helps I am getting so frustrated.
  • leannegray31
    Options
    Hi, have you ever been prescribed LEVOTHYROXINE. I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 5 days ago and I have been taking levothyroxine...by the 3rd day I was feeling extremely tired, I slept off and on most of the day. I had no energy at all. Today is the 5th day and I am still very tired. I take the medicine at 8am and I wait one hour to eat. But the medicine does suppress my appetite which is good for me.. I am not sure if my Doctor has to change my medication. But before taking it..I use to feel very tired and I had no energy and I always craved carbs and soda. I now have NO cravings for carbs or soda.

Levothyroxine is the same thing as Synthroid (which is the brand name. Usually levothyroxine means you're taking the generic - synthroid is a little round pill that will have the dosage in mcgs on one side and synthroid on the other), which is a synthetic t4. Armour is natural thyroid gland (usually from dessicated pigs thyroid glands, I think) which supplements both t3 and t4, though the exact amount of hormone you get from each dose can be slightly inconsistent. There is also a synthetic t3 that some people can be prescribed (I think it's called cytomel).

T4 is inactive thyroid hormone, which your body has to convert to T3. Some people lose the ability to do that conversion, so synthroid alone won't resolve their symptoms, and they need to switch to either a combined synthroid/cytomel regimen or armour. But it can take a month or longer before your body adjusts to a dose with synthroid - it's not one of those prescriptions that works immediately. Your blood hormone levels will take a while to normalize - for my first year I got tested every three months to make sure things normalized and to confirm that my symptoms improved.

I have better results taking the name brand synthroid - have tried the generic and it just doens't seem to work quite the same way. I have extreme fatigue and other symptoms when I'm off meds - can sleep 14 hours a day and still feel exhausted, have dry skin, lose hair, impossible to lose weight. Am basically non-functional. I've been on it for 7 years.

Don't lose hope - even if it seems like the pills aren't helping yet. You may just not have been taking them long enough to see complete results - or you may be on too low a dose. Your doctor should be monitoring you fairly closely and troubleshooting which dose works for you. If you are on it for several months and still feel crap, you may want to switch to a T4/T3 combined approach (make sure your doctor orders free t3 as one of your labs - it will show if you have normal levels of active hormone in your blood. Synthroid will normalize T4 & TSH even if your body can't convert T3 to T4, so it's important to have a complete blood panel).

If your thyroid hormone levels normalize and you still feel crummy, it's worth looking into other potential issues like low vitamin d levels, depression, etc. A lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism are also symptoms of other problems, but hypothyroidism can also *cause* other things (like high blood pressure, chronic fatigue, etc.).

I find that if I don't take good care of myself, I still feel pretty crummy even if I take my meds, but if I don't take my meds then I don't have the energy to take good care of myself so the meds are important. It can be difficult for me to lose weight even on medication (have to be very strict and consistent with both diet and exercise) but it is still doable.

Best of luck to everyone :) Best advice I can give is find a doctor you like, who listens and is willing to work with you to optimize your health. Hypothyroidism generally means pills for the rest of your life so it's best to find someone you're really comfortable with.
  • valyea
    valyea Posts: 1
    Options
    I personally just quick taking Levothyroxin. It had me going crazy. I was on lowest dosage, it was making me irritable, anxious, couldn't sleep (would wake up burning up in middle of night), and I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin. I feel better not taking it, but the doctor says to keep taking it. I just can't go through that.

I need to lose 20 pounds that I have gained in just a matter of 6 months and I am at a total lose!!