11 hour shift at the hospital walking around 9 hours a shift

Options
can i add this as exercise. believe me my legs want to cave in..... x

Replies

• VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You got to sit down for two hours? What kind of hospital is this?

Is this every shift you work? How many shifts do you work a week? If its regular for you I would set your general activity level higher but not add it as exercise.
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I would think so but I wouldn't go overboard with it. I used to work in a busy ED and did 12 hour shifts. We had a long hallway that I requested to work for a whole shift. I wore my HRM just to see what it said when I got done with my 12 hours. I was quite surprised that it showed that I burned almost 1800 calories:)

I also had a Bodybugg on at the same time and the calorie burn showed a very similar number.
  • emzyloo88
    emzyloo88 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    yes i work on an emergency department... very demanding !!
  • snootmaster
    snootmaster Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I also work in a hospital, 12 hour shifts. I wear my body media arm band at work and I rarely log fewer than 15,000 steps on the days I work. I rarely have to do any extra activity on those days to "burn" my desired calories off. So I would think that yes you could add some as exercise. FYI, on average the body media gives me 475 calorie credit for "exercise" on my work days, but I do not know how much you weigh, so yours could be very different.
  • emzyloo88
    Options
    interesting :)
  • tiffanydawnn
    tiffanydawnn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I work in an ICU and burn 2800 to 3000 calories on days I work a 12 (according to my Bodymedia). I don't count it as exercise though, but I do eat accordingly and try to keep my deficit approx. 1000 calories below.
  • emzyloo88
    Options
    we get our hour break and move for the rest of it... i work on an acute medical ward
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you have your goals set up. If you are set at sedentary or lightly active, then yes, definitely add it in. If you're set higher than that, is this out of the ordinary for you? If so, add it in and eat it back!
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a Trauma Center RN and we used to joke we should be anorexic,but it just didn't work that way. I would often lose 3lbs a shift but it would come right back on my days off. (I work in a slower smaller hospital now.) It just didn't seem to work for me like regular exercise or work outs. I also ate terribly at that time so I don't know if it was the chicken or the egg(both were fried) :) Seriously, I do wonder if the extreme stress played a part.
  • emzyloo88
    Options
    its funny though as half my wards actually dieting....... surely the amount we walk should pay of ha x