My current weight questions

Options
Hi! im 18 and I'm 5'5 and weight about 142.. these seems like a high number to me because i wear i size 26 in pants, and a 0-4 in dresses depending on the brand. does that weight seem right... i took measurements too

waist=26
bust=33
hips=37

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Everyone carries their weight differently, has different bone structure, amount of muscle vs fat, etc. I've seen women on here who are my height, weight 30 lbs more than I do, and look way better than me! If you're happy with what you see and how you feel, does the number on the scale really matter?
  • floridagirl222
    Options
    i don't feel very good about myself though.. i want to loose weight but I'm not sure how much is healthy because i know I'm not overweight, but i want to be in really good shape.
  • amarisstorm
    amarisstorm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    From what you've said I would say you're very close to a good weight. You might wasn't to lose a few pounds, but not much. Your in a healthy BMI range. And based on measurments I'd say your doing fine.
  • floridagirl222
    Options
    Yea but i want to be in better shape lol. so I'm thinking 5-10 but I'm not sure if 10 is too much
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    i don't feel very good about myself though.. i want to loose weight but I'm not sure how much is healthy because i know I'm not overweight, but i want to be in really good shape.

Your BMI is pretty reasonable...a bit high for an athlete, but perfectly OK for a non-athlete.

Define "really good shape". Are you trying to improve your energy or cardiovascular fitness? Cardio workouts a few days a week. Do you want to be more toned? Either weightlifting or HIIT (high intensity interval training). If you're not sure, HIIT is a good thing to try -- there are a number of HIIT workouts that take around a half hour a day (T25, P90X3, etc.), so you can fit them in pretty easily.

I doubt I'd recommend any dieting, but you may want to monitor your calories at a "maintenance" level while you're working out to prevent the ol' "just had a big workout, so I'm gonna pig out" syndrome.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you want to be in better shape, start doing some strength training and lifting. That will help you get the look it sounds like you're aiming for.
  • floridagirl222
    Options
    hmm probably just more skimmer looking i would say
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you want to be in better shape, start doing some strength training and lifting. That will help you get the look it sounds like you're aiming for.

I agree with this wholeheartedly... and before you jump on the "I don't wanna be bulky" train, read this:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • MissCherrySwirl
    Options
    Yea but i want to be in better shape lol. so I'm thinking 5-10 but I'm not sure if 10 is too much

Losing weight and being in better shape are different things in my opinion. You could stay the same weight as you are now and have smaller measurements due to (heavy) weight training. Or you could just lose the 5-10 pounds and still look out of shape.

I would highly recommend checking out some of the threads on MFP about women who do heavy lifting. They are truly inspirational. :smile:
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5'' and 142 lbs ... and my waist is 29. & I feel good about where I am at. My GW is 130, but I am mainly trying to tone up and lose fat. Not worrying so much about the number on the scale.
  • shadriel7
    Options
    I'd agree with the "weight is just a number" assessment - don't worry about how *much* you weigh, as much as how toned/fit you are - or what your body fat percentage is - thats the important number. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat - you can be 142 lbs and have a lot of fat, or you can be 142 lbs thats mostly muscle. I have a friend that wants to gain enough muscle to weigh 160 - she needs to go up at least 20 lbs to hit that, but thats her goal. I'd like to weigh less than 140 again, but I honestly don't really care if I ever reach that or not, as my REAL goals are to be fit - have less body fat and more muscle, and look good in a bikini again. I could care less if it turns out I hit size 6, but have gained enough muscle (while losing enough fat) to look great and am still over 140 lbs - I won't care a bit - muscle is a great thing to have (within reason). Its how much body fat there is that I am worried about, not what number the scale reads out. Tho I will happily admit I giggle over every pound I do lose :D
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs a lot more than fat
    no. 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat. They don't take up the same amount of space.