"When are you due?" Im not pregnant you jerk

Options
is what Id LOVE to say to those random strangers that have the nerve to ask me that when they are not sure if I am or not....pfft!

Note to others: Never, I repeat NEVER ask a woman when she is due unless you KNOW she is pregnant. End of story!

Ok, vent over, lol, but seriously....Im a fairly tall woman, almost 5'10, and unfortunately I carry most of my excess weight right where I dont want it...right around my lower ab section and hips....Ive always been "curvy" with a small waist and large hips...its just my shape and that cannot be changed...but whats up with my belly?! I cant tell you how long Ive had the pregnant appearance! Certainly long after my 3 children have come along (24, 16 and 12) ....am I just destined to have a preggo belly forever? Ive lost 5 lbs so far and Im so proud of myself :o) however....it sure as hell didnt come off my stomach! LOL...not really sure where it came off of....

Replies

• Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Lol! Ive had this from 5 different people this year…. grr!
    Its carrying most of the spare where the babies USED TO BE!

Well done for losing 5lb. Im with you here hoping the belly will go :tongue:
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Belly fat seems to be the last to go for many women. I have a theory that way back in our evolutionary history, it served a purpose. (Extra protection for the womb? A last reserve in case of famine?) Don't know if it's true, but it makes me feel better that maybe it's so hard to lose because I'm fighting evolution.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I hate this, too. I've had two kids but years before I had my first I had a woman pat my stomach and ask if I was having one!

Fat loss is predisposed to come off where it will. There's nothing more you can do but keep a moderate calorie deficit and make sure you're getting enough protein (about 1g per pound of lean. Body mass) to help aid your loss being fat and not muscle. Resistance training in some form (I love heavy lifting) would also help retain muscle to give you a lean look. It took me 40 lbs almost to start seeing significant fat loss in my stomach (started at 170 lbs at 5'3.5 "). For a lot of people it seems stomach is the last area to see significant change.
    This is a great read that really is much better written :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have that stubborn belly fat due to diastasis recti. I don't hear it anymore but for about a year after having my son I would get asked that. My response would always be a stone faced "6 months ago" (or whatever the time.) It would usually make the person feel uncomfortable and I'm pretty sure that those who did ask me and got that response have never asked that since.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I was at work a couple weeks ago and a lady wouldn't let me pick up a cast iron griddle. I insisted it was ok and then she gestures at my stomach and says "you shouldn't be lifting this."

I laughed and said "my 18 month old weighs at least that much." And just ignored the fact that she thought I looked prego
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I have a puffy winter coat with a belt that cinches around the middle. Beautiful coat, and so warm, but makes me look about 5 or 6 months pregnant due to the puffiness and cinching. I never paid attention to it, until one day last winter, when I was on the subway. It was jampacked, and we're squeezed in like sardines. From across the car I become aware that pretty much everyone is staring at me, then looking at this woman across the way who is pointing at me and waving her arms. So I remove my headphones and nod her way, only to have her offer me her seat. Totally confused I say "no thanks, I'm fine standing". "No," she says, "you're pregnant. Getting jostled around like this isn't good for you or the little munchkin." "No, thanks, I'm fine," I say again. To which yells, because... across the car and all, "no really, please take my seat! I insist! You are pretty far along aren't you?! Not long now!" So I say "No thanks, I'm not pregnant." To which she says, "No need to be shy, you're pregnant, it's obvious!" Finally, I said "Lady, I'm not pregnant, just fat" and smiled broadly. Shocked silence in the car, and then applause by two women near the door. The mortification and blushing alone was worth the public shaming of being called out on your "baby bump" in public. I highly recommend using that line.
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    This never happens to me.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Probably from your boobs. Fat likes to be ironic like that.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    This never happens to me.

Show off.
  • hestia1986
    Options
    Never happened to me...
    but my ex's mother was kind enough to tell me: "You look like you were still expecting," the day after I had given birth.
    Never can forget that wonderful feeling.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    took my 2 year old for his well visit, and his pediatrician asked when i was due. i tell him i'm not pregnant, and he tells me i should wear better clothes. i should have told him to give me his credit card so i could go shopping.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Next, you're going to tell me I'm not supposed to poke a woman's belly to see if she makes a giggle noise . . .
  • alottamama
    Options
    lolol good times
  • Ellazzzz
    Options
    too funny but all too true. Its the hardest place to lose. Especially after children. There ain't no memory muscle in that region. I deal with the same issue. Its even more noticeable on a short person such as myself. But with each others support, we will get there. :smile:
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    took my 2 year old for his well visit, and his pediatrician asked when i was due. i tell him i'm not pregnant, and he tells me i should wear better clothes. i should have told him to give me his credit card so i could go shopping.

LOL yes, that would have been the perfect response.

Last summer, my fiance (not my fiance yet at that time) and I went on vacation and stayed at a nice but relatively inexpensive B&B. I hate large breakfasts, always have, and we had requested that there be lots of fruit for breakfast. . . because in summer that's what I prefer and I figure if you're paying a bunch of money to stay somewhere and have someone provide breakfast, you should be able to have what you like, within reasonable limits. So anyway, the lady said something that made it abundantly clear she thought I was pregnant. I guess the pickiness about breakfast food led her to think that in advance. . . but unless I am pretty thin, my figure is such that my tummy sticks out and I bet that's what really made her think I might be pregnant. That was the first and so far last time that someone has said such a thing to me but I was SO offended!!!
  • fireflyz2
    fireflyz2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and build as you, but I don't think it is so much about the ab area. I was asked once when i was only about 10 lb overweight and had a very flat stomach just because I had on a loose shirt. But I agree, people shouldn't ask that sort of thing unless they know in advance!
  • nanadayana
    Options
    I got the same question last December. She was pregnant and maybe thought that we can share something in common. At first I felt that she's being rude that I wanna answer her with something like, 'When is this due? (pointing to my belly), I don't know yet but maybe tomorrow some of them will end up in my toilet. Not a baby by the way!'

But after looking at her, I just laughed it away. She immediately said sorry after that.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    First... I think you should visit your doctor. There's a few conditions out there that cause you to gain weight mostly in your abdomen.

Second...if you pretend to burst into really loud tears, it really does a number on your commentator.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    When I was a little kid, I asked my aunt when she was due.

She was not due. She basically said what you said: "I'm not pregnant, you jerk."

My relationship with my aunt was never good after that. I always thought she was the jerk for shouting at a little kid who asked a perfectly innocent question.
  • DEgal99
    DEgal99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When it's OK to ask a woman if she's pregnant: http://imgur.com/C4Q2A