:(

Options
so here's the deal i weighed myself today and found i had gained 3 pounds when i had been bustin my butt for about 2 weeks. im hoping that its just water weight or im jus bloated haha. it also might be from lifting weights as well....ive never been too concerned with the numbers on the scale but more concerned with how my clothes fit, but when i looked at those numbers this morning it was like a slap to the face. i need some encouragement please.
(or maybe those numbers are my encouragement because i worked my ace off during my workout this morning)
HELP!

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • lefrance12
    Options
    More than likely a little muscle gain along with some water weight. Do you have a scale that gives water weight also? Something to think about? Hope this helps!! Good Luck! Also 2 weeks, a lot a people show gain before the actual loss begans
  • laurenbausch
    Options
    I'm really watching my caloric intake after Thanksgiving, and it's tough!!!! I gained a pound since yesterday, but I ate soup twice!!! I'm sure it's water weight!!!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work!!!! Don't get discouraged, you have been doing great :smile:
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    What about food - what have you been eating? I assume you've been good on calories, but what you are eating is pretty important too.

Just keep up the good work on the exercise and it'll happen.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You're probably losing fat and gaining muscle...muscle weighs more than fat. I would suggest going to My Home, then Check-In, and keeping a log of your measurements. I weigh myself once per week and take my measurements on the first of every month but if you're regularly doing strength training, you might want to measure yourself more often. It really helps with motivation! I learned some tips on taking measurements:
    Chest: measure without bra, across nipple area and exhale all breath out.
    Waist: measure at the narrowest point, where the curve is.
    Hips: measure at the widest part, where the butt protrudes the greatest.
    All others (Thigh, calf, bicep): measure largest part.
    Don't be discouraged, if you're "busting your butt" then you will see results! Keep up the good work.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    My post from yesterday:

"I felt like I was getting smaller even though the scale has me up a pound or two for a few weeks now.

For whatever reason, I pulled out the old size 4 jeans. Dusted them off. Put them on. Zipped them up. BEHOLD! THEY FIT! Not 'they're on' but they actually fit. I will be leaving the house in them on Friday for casual day at the office.

Last time I wore these jeans, I was a good 7-10lbs lighter.

Moral: The scale is only one tool to gage success. I totally could have let the number on the scale drag me down, but I know how great I feel and know that I'm living a healthy lifestyle. There was no reason to let the scale rob me of feeling great about myself. Now that my sanity has been validated, I'm extra glad I didn't give the scale any power to dictate how I feel about myself because,no matter what the scale says, I'm still reducing in size. "
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Mussel is properly what has made u seem heaver, have u looked up about mussel gain. R u due a visit from auntie flow, I become bloated & retain water the wk before.
    Dont get dishearten i lost some then kept the same weight for 3 wks, then put it all bk on. I have lost some but i know my stomach is starting to get tighter, if i pull it in it moves.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Moral: The scale is only one tool to gage success. I totally could have let the number on the scale drag me down, but I know how great I feel and know that I'm living a healthy lifestyle. There was no reason to let the scale rob me of feeling great about myself. Now that my sanity has been validated, I'm extra glad I didn't give the scale any power to dictate how I feel about myself because,no matter what the scale says, I'm still reducing in size. "

This. :flowerforyou:

Recently my "fat pants" have been getting loose and there's one pair that I don't even have to unzip to take off. But, I've only lost 4 pounds total since I started MFP and the scale has yo-yo'd several times. I am still skeered to see the number now that Turkey Day has come and gone, but since my clothes are fitting better, I am not even motivated to get on the scale in the first place.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    More than likely a little muscle gain along with some water weight. Do you have a scale that gives water weight also? Something to think about? Hope this helps!! Good Luck! Also 2 weeks, a lot a people show gain before the actual loss begans

I agree, my guess is muscle gain. That is good because muscle is leaner and it helps you burn more calories even when at rest. You didn't gain in two weeks remember, it will take time. I would try hard not to weigh for two weeks, by then you might have a really big happy loss to show for your hard work!
  • khogue07
    Options
    thank you everyone. all the encouragement is greatly appreciated. its exactly what the doctor ordered. hehe.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If you have been lifting weights every day that could cause an increase as well. When your muscles are working there are small tears that form between the fibers. Those fill with fluid while you are recovering. Once you have recovered, the fluid is passed but in the meantime its very possible for the scale to show a small increase. I notice that if I weigh myself the day after a really good, hard workout I see a small increase. 2 or 3 days later, I show a loss.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    you are doing the right things...eating well and exercising. Keep it up and the pounds will be coming off before you know it!