Am I eating too much?

Options
I'm a vegan (about two months in) and I feel like I'm eating SO much more than I did when I ate meat, but I'm still always hungry! I'm 5'2" and 110 pounds and I'm trying to lose about 6 pounds/tone up. I've always been a runner and I run about 24 miles per week. This is what I ate today. Is it too much? it added up to about 1,430 calories (without subtracting exercise calories, which makes it about 1, 1160).

Breakfast:
1 tablespoon of peanut butter, one quinoa waffle (105 calories), 1 banana

Lunch:
A sandwich with 2 pieces of whole wheat bread, 2 tablespoons of hummus, some tomato, onion and lettuce
An orange and an apple

For a snack at around 2, I had a banana

When I came home, I had a fiber one protein bar, a quarter cup of almonds, an orange, and two dried figs..

After I worked out I had another banana.

I did cardio yoga and ran two miles. I feel like I shouldn't eat dinner tonight because I've already eaten so much...when I ate meat I usually only had around 1,300 calories per day (without subtracting exercise calories).

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You probably feel hungry because you're not getting enough protein.
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    And also because you aren't eating enough.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like 1430 calories to me. You're eating too little.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    eat a hard boiled egg or 2 and 1430??????? LIAR!
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    you better recalculate that lol.......eat some more food or a protein shake..............even a quest bar cookie dough would help around 20g of protein and 17g of fiber or and around 190 calories,
    anyways you need to eat more. I don't know how many 18-21yr olds i see post these :grumble:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Why don't you open your diary?

But it sounds really high in carbohydrates and low in fats and protein. For most people, these have a satiating effect. You could try incorporating more vegan sources of fats/proteins.
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    you need protein.
    add in some protein shakes. low minerals and low iron can wreack havoc on your body, not to mention if your not building muscle you could be burning muscle, which is not good.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Why did you decide to go vegan? If you are cutting out all meat then you need to up your natural sources of protein, like beans, or tofu. That, and more fiber will help you feel fuller longer. Maybe ease your way into the whole vegan thing. Start with eliminating red meat, then chicken, then fish. Dairy and eggs are excellent sources of protein - maybe try being a vegetarian first before diving head-first into veganism?
  • jazzcatastrophe
    jazzcatastrophe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You definitely need more protein: tempeh, tofu, beans, lentils, etc, and also more fats (more pb, avocado, coconut cream). Both will help you feel more full
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    To be quite honest, I am not surprised you are hungry. A toddler would be hungry eating that amount.
    You are doing yourself no favours, and setting yourself up for issues further along the line, eating this way.
    I suggest you get over this fear of calories and start eating to fuel the activity you enjoy doing, before you totally burn yourself out.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I suggest you go get your info from a vegan forum. This forum is the opposite of that....."where uget your protein" is all u gonna hear around here.
  • almostplenty
    almostplenty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You need fat & protein, you will feel less hungry! Try nuts & nut butters, seeds, coconut milk/cream/oil, avocado, olive oil, soy, tofu, beans (beans + corn = a complete protein, try making beans & rice and mixing in some corn).

Try spreading peanut butter or other nut butter on your bananas and sprinkle with chia seeds. Add slices of avocado to your sandwich at lunch. Sauté veggies & pasta in olive oil. Make a curry with full-fat coconut milk. Google "high protein vegan recipes" there's lots of stuff out there.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting to keep a strict vegan diet, make sure you're checking the ingredients in your protein bars. I'm pretty sure Fiber One products have dairy in them. I'm pretty sure Clif bars are vegan, but a lot of them aren't that high in protein.

In addition to the good protein suggestions you got from another poster, there are definitely vegan protein powders that you can mix with water or soy/almond/etc. milk.

I recommend the vegan cookbook Appetite for Reduction. I'm not vegan, but I like to eat a variety of foods so I don't get bored with the same things over and over. What I really like about this book is that all of the recipes are low in fat and calories, but many of them are very filling. There's also nutrition information for each recipe, which will help you make sure you're getting enough protein.