Non-perishable high protein snacks

Options
I sometimes struggle with meeting my protein goal. I'm also a huge snacker, and like to have a little something every few hours. I usually just toss some snacks such as granola bars or a bag of popcorn into my purse and basically graze all day. I often eat things like chicken and greek yogurt at meal times, but they don't make the best snacks because I can't exactly store those things in a purse or pocket.

I'd like some high protein, preferably 200 cal or under, snacks, which can be stored at room temperature for extended periods of time and eaten easily without a lot of immediate prep. My first thoughts are jerky and protein bars, which I am not opposed to, but eating those all the time will get expensive.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Bumping for replies too!
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    best thing I've found is nuts...raw almonds are my favorite:) If you don't like nuts on their own, mix them with some natural dried fruit...the kind without sugar added. Mixing walnuts with dried banana chips is good too...tastes like banana bread:)
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    protein powder in a water bottle w\water.
  • dancephysics
    Options
    Haha, I knew someone would say nuts. I do enjoy them sometimes, but they're not quite as high protein as I'm looking for. 200 calories of cashews (my favorite nut) only has about 7g of protein. Almonds are similar. Though that's a great tip of mixing walnuts and dried bananas, and it sounds delicious.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My 190 cal Nature Valley Salted Caramel Nut bars have 10g of protein.

They really satisfy my sweet tooth, too, when I'm dying to break out the cookies.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    jerky
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There are high protein bars with about 20g.
  • onedaybeforethenext
    Options
    I always have a bag or Perky Turkey Jerky in my purse :)
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted edamame (Seapoint Farms brand -- they have flavored options too, like wasabi). 130 cal, 4g fat, and 14g protein in a 1/4 cup serving
  • smedynski
    Options
    I second the recommendation for protein shakes. I'm using an Egg White protein (chocolate flavored) that is 100 calories, 22g of protein and only 2g of carbs per serving.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Power Bars. I grab the vanilla, cookies and cream, chocolate or chocolate peanut butter and they each have 20g of protein at 210 calories. They're awfully delicious too!

These guys: http://cdn3.volusion.com/k46xj.v6mdo/v/vspfiles/photos/PB_FCPROBARS_12-2.jpg?1364905132

I know it's a bit over 200cals, but you don't have to eat a whole bar every time.
  • Polarsnow
    Options
    I've been eating these Pure Protein Bars (Brand name). It has 20g of protein with very few carbs and sugars. It's a pretty good snack when you get used to the taste. (:
  • NapsAndNachos
    Options
    You could make the jerky yourself in large batches, so it wouldn't be so expensive.

Cans or pouches of tuna.

Low fat hard cheese is really high in protein and would probably last for a while, but not terribly long and not in warm temperatures. Certainly not if you need to store the food, but if it's for taking a snack with you to work, it might be OK.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    jerky

Chicken or turkey jerky, etc. Buy a dehydrator and make your own for low(er) sodium.
  • Omar_USAF
    Omar_USAF Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Protein bars can be high in sugars and other bs…just buy a lunchbox and take your chicken with you :yawn:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Protein bars can be high in sugars and other bs…just buy a lunchbox and take your chicken with you :yawn:

Not all of them. Quest bare are not. Otherwise... yeah.

And yep... cans of tuna or beef jerky. I'll take a protein bar anyway over cans of tuna though, but I have a sweet tooth, lol.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There are recipes out there for lower cal protein bars that you can make.