Juicing

Options
Has anyone seen a substantial health benefit/extra weight loss when you have added juicing into your routine?

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Fine so long as it's part of a balanced diet. You actually need dietary fat and dietary protein, also.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Juicing can cause stress on the especially if taken orally. Be careful.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying there aren't benefits to some juicing. I prefer to eat my foods, rather than drink them. Plus you need the fiber. If you have certain digestive issues, I might see a benefit … otherwise … eating your food rather than drinking it is the better option.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Why do I have to instantly think of steroids when I see "juicing" threads...?
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I did a juice fast once in my younger, dumber days. It was almost nice because I got a break from cooking. It was not so nice because I had a raging headache and felt horrible.

I still think juicing/smoothies are a nice addition to any diet, but these days I prefer smoothies so I can keep the fiber. I also like to add activia laban (middle eastern yogurt drink), spinach, and sometimes fresh mint, which I couldn't add in a juicer.

All things in moderation.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I like to add juices to my day just like I would coffee, it perks me up, gives me energy and I dont know if it has anything to do with this, but EVERYONE around me has been sick and i havent been sick this season once.

I do juicing fasts every now and then, and I add 2 protein shakes a day, which brings me 4 calories over my daily goal and my protein is about 74. If you are worried about fiber, you can always use fiber supplements too.
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Last year I juiced after being encouraged by my trainer to watch the doc "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". Lasted 5? days, lost 8 pounds and ended up in Urgent Care after almost passing out at work. And I broke the fast by eating McDonalds. I only had low blood sugar and granted I was ONLY on liquids and probably wasn't consuming enough since my bladder is not the biggest and I was too busy to spend all day in the bathroom. Try it but also EAT.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have done a 7 day and a 5 day juice only program, yes it knocked a few extra pounds off as you would expect from taking in about 800 - 1000 calories. There's plenty of fibre as the juice machine isn't a filter and apples have pectin which is a soluble fibre.

Best to follow some sort of plan that has thought about incorporating fats (avocado blended into smoothie), yoghurt, banana etc.

I think it's fine for a short period. If you're a carb addict you may need to supplement with electrolytes as I've seen people juicing suffer with Atkins-flu type symptoms as juicing with a lot of exercise puts you into ketosis. My wife does juicing for 5 days once a month as a weight control strategy.