Am I lifting too light? Help!

Options
Hello!

So lately I have been doing around 30-40 minutes on the cybex arc trainer, usually on an interval workout. Then I do planks, push ups, crunches, squats, basically what I feel like I want to do that day - I like to switch it up. Finally, I grab the 20 lb free weights and do calf raises and side dips (I clearly don't know the correct term, obliques maybe??). Then I do a few different arm exercises with 10 lb weights and a couple with 5 lb weights.

I am about 5'6 and I currently weight 142. I have been taking in about 1200-1500 calories lately, but I always make sure to have a deficit. I am looking to lose, I would love to be under or around 130.

So, am I good with my workout for now? Are the weights too light or are they a good start? Lmk! Thank you :)

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to accomplish. I have never been focused on weight lifting, free weights are just part of my routine for strengthening, but not aiming at building muscle volume. For me, 4-5 kilos, with a few exercises going to 8-10 kilos is normal for my goals. If the goal is to gain muscle volume and be serious about weight lifting, then you need to gradually increase weight. If you want to just stay toned, there is no reason to push yourself more.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

If you simply want to lose scale weight then you don't need to exercise, it's all about the calorie deficit.

If you want to lose fat but preserve muscle mass (i.e. decrease body fat) then you ideally should be doing some sort of progressive lifting programme where are consistently adding weight and challenging yourself.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    I'm under-informed compared to trainers, but from what I gather you should be lifting a heavy enough weight where you can only do a handful of reps until you reach failure. For example, today I started doing weighted squats and used 10lb dumbbells in each hand (combined 20lbs). I was able to do 30 reps before moving on to another exercise, so that tells me I should up the weight until I can do only 10-15.

edit: heavy weight + low reps are more focused at gaining muscle as an endpoint. This is great for weight loss as the more muscle you have, the more baseline calories you burn. That's only a good thing!
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me. Don't underestimate light weights, you could increase reps and train to failure (Creatine would help here). I guarantee you'll feel it the next day. Circuit trainers do as many reps possible for one minute straight per set per exercise. If you're not failing by the last rep in 1 minute, it's probably too light and needs to be increased. Speaking from personal experience.
  • amg394
    amg394 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! For those asking, I would love to lose the weight and also be toned. I am not really looking to gain a ton of muscle, but of course I don't want to lose it either. Sounds like I should try a bunch of reps with my 10s until I can't anymore!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    OP, follow the below. It's the best advice you've gotten in this thread.
    What are your goals?

If you simply want to lose scale weight then you don't need to exercise, it's all about the calorie deficit.

If you want to lose fat but preserve muscle mass (i.e. decrease body fat) then you ideally should be doing some sort of progressive lifting programme where are consistently adding weight and challenging yourself.