The ol' speed vs. distance debate.

Options
I've been reading a lot about running a set distance vs. walking the same distance. People say that you'll burn the same calories over the distance, but running will get you to your finish line a lot faster. I've been getting my roommate to come out and go walking with me. He's a pretty big boy and finds it difficult to walk over 3 mph, and generally slips down into the 2.8-2.9 mph zone. He still finds this speed pretty exhausting, as to where I feel like I'm taking a nice stroll on a summer day. If I'm walking with him am I burning less calories than I would be if I was walking at, say 3.5-3.7 mph? I don't have a HRM, but I know I can't really be getting my heartrate up all that much. I barely break a sweat (it's still hot in South Florida) and never feel like I'm out of breath. I'd like to continue to walk with him and help get him motivated, but at the same time I feel like I'm not getting the most out of my exercise. I try to get him to bring his speed up, but that normally shortens his total time walking. He says that if we go slower (perhaps 2.5 mph?) he has no problem walking a longer distance.

Which is more important? Speed or distance?

Replies

• ginnyroxx
    Options
    for him? I'd say distance. at 2.8 or 2.9 his heartrate is probably elevated enough that, that would be a good workout for him.
    do you have gym memberships? maybe walking side by side on treadmills would allow you to each walk at your own pace.

it's very nice of you to take an interest in your friends health and offer to walk with him :)
  • snailshoe
    Options
    I would think that if your heart rate isn't going up, you wouldn't be burning the same amount of calories if you're covering the same distance.
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's wonderful you're helping motivate your friend, but make sure you get exercise in that feels challenging for you. That way, your heart rate will be up and you'll be gaining fitness and endurance.

I know I burn alot less calories walking than running.
  • wreckage
    wreckage Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    for him? I'd say distance. at 2.8 or 2.9 his heartrate is probably elevated enough that, that would be a good workout for him.
    do you have gym memberships? maybe walking side by side on treadmills would allow you to each walk at your own pace.

it's very nice of you to take an interest in your friends health and offer to walk with him :)

Unfortunately we don't have gym memberships, so the treadmill isn't really an option. I'm thinking maybe I'll do a lap with him, then we'll plug in our iPods and go at our own pace for the remainder of the walk.
  • wreckage
    wreckage Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's wonderful you're helping motivate your friend, but make sure you get exercise in that feels challenging for you. That way, your heart rate will be up and you'll be gaining fitness and endurance.

I know I burn alot less calories walking than running.

Yeah, the lack of challenge for me is what worries me. He's under the impression that we're both getting the same workout, but I just don't believe it to be so.

Thank you for all the replys =)