Protein Shakes?

Options
Are protein shakes really necessary if you lift? I have heard they are a must & like wise I have heard they are unnecessary to get protein in your daily diet. Are those sold at GNC really worth the extra expense as opposed to those more than half the price at Walmart?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Protein shake are just a quick and easy way to help hit your protein macro. If you can get it fine without, they are not necessary. They're nothing special :P
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If you want quality protein get something from an online retailer (Amazon and Vitaminshoppe are both cheap and have free shipping). For most people ON Gold Standard is a good choice for value, taste and mix ability.

Most proteins powders are purely FOOD supplements.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I personally use protein shakes to lose weight. Because once I have a sip or two I just don't want to eat or drink anything for a really long time. And I'm only half kidding.

For ages I curbed my snacking by keeping a protein shake at my desk and telling myself that if I was genuinely hungry and needed to eat so much, I'd have to get through the shake first and then start on cookies etc. It worked.

I like proteiny things though! I love scrambled eggs and chicken and yogurts and even tofu. Just please not those shakes. I still have a big tub of the stuff from like 4 years ago when I first joined the gym. It's probably sentient by now.
  • 7213Melissa
    7213Melissa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I use it as a quick and dirty meal replacement, particularly on exercise days when I don't want to be weighed down by food prior to a monster effort.

Last thing I want to do is puke or **** myself while on my bike.
  • edalvara
    Options
    Are protein shakes really necessary if you lift? I have heard they are a must & like wise I have heard they are unnecessary to get protein in your daily diet. Are those sold at GNC really worth the extra expense as opposed to those more than half the price at Walmart?

a good starter protein that isnt going to break the bank and is sold in 2lb increments is body fortress at walmart.

it taste good has everything you need and is relatively cheap. it has tons of reviews on bodybuilding.com

in general i just buy whats on sale as i just use it as a supplement for when i cant eat enough and immediately post workout.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I only have a shake on days when I am really low on protein by the end of the day. Those days I tend to be low on calories too, so it works out. Without yummy things like peanut butter, ice cream or oatmeal cookies added, they are too yucky to gag down, so I have to be really low on calories for that to be my solution.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options

a good starter protein that isnt going to break the bank and is sold in 2lb increments is body fortress at walmart.

it taste good has everything you need and is relatively cheap. it has tons of reviews on bodybuilding.com

in general i just buy whats on sale as i just use it as a supplement for when i cant eat enough and immediately post workout.

Be careful with Body Fortress. The one I have seen at Walmart has creatine in it. This supplement can spike your cortisol if you aren't careful.
  • edalvara
    Options

Be careful with Body Fortress. The one I have seen at Walmart has creatine in it. This supplement can spike your cortisol if you aren't careful.

I also take creatine post workout.

Stress can also raise cortisol levels.

Research on creatine goes both ways, with many studies i read saying the group who took 5g of creatine vs the placebo group showed no significant changes in cortisol levels.

Some people dont like it, some do. I even know some people who get headaches when they take it.
  • 7213Melissa
    7213Melissa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll try some of whatever is on sale at Walmart on the days I can't get in enough in my diet.