Fasting or Intermittent Fasting

Options
I've read a tiny bit about it, and thought I'd come here to get the real scoop from people that are actually fasting (any type). How it's working for their weight loss and what type is the best for losing weight?

Are there books out there on it?

Thanks,

ang

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've read a tiny bit about it, and thought I'd come here to get the real scoop from people that are actually fasting (any type). How it's working for their weight loss and what type is the best for losing weight?

Are there books out there on it?

Thanks,

ang

generally speaking, intermittent fasting is an eating style not a weight loss technique. i guess the exception to that is 5:2 which is designed to give you a deficit from the fast days... but a calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight, it doesnt matter when you eat.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I follow a very informal 18:6 schedule, because it works with my lifestyle and how I enjoy eating. What's best for losing weight is eating at a calorie deficit, being consistent, and finding what works best for you to achieve that.
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I follow a very informal 18:6 schedule, because it works with my lifestyle and how I enjoy eating. What's best for losing weight is eating at a calorie deficit, being consistent, and finding what works best for you to achieve that.

Sorry I'm new to this plan, what do you mean by 18:6?

Also, if possible, anyone writing about their plan, can you elaborate? I'd like to hear what you eat in a regular week, how much you exercise and if you're losing weight?

And if there are any books you are following?

Thanks!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Sorry I'm new to this plan, what do you mean by 18:6?

Also, if possible, anyone writing about their plan, can you elaborate? I'd like to hear what you eat in a regular week, how much you exercise and if you're losing weight?

And if there are any books you are following?

Thanks!

18:6 means typically I do not eat for 18 hours and my feeding window is 6 hours. You can view my diary to see what I eat, I don't follow a plan, I eat what I want to eat as long as I can fit it into my day. I've lost a little ...

I lift 3 times a week, ride my bike normally 4-5 times a week.

There's a group on MFP you can look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting

this site might help you as well:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Great thanks!