Advice on Strength Training

Options
Hi there.

I am looking for some advice.

I lost a significant amount of weight but still have more to go. Problem is I have high bodyfat and don't really have any muscle mass.

I think I need to mix in strength training with my cardio, and hopefully build ssome muscle mass while I am reducing weight.

I read advice on another site that I should begin using dumbells. I am considering purchasing a bench and dumbell set and would like some opinions on this.

I cannot go to a gym, so I have to do the strength training at home.

Do you think that a dumbell set and bench would be a good way to work in strength training as a complete weakling and beginner, or do I have to look at barbells, other weights, etc.

Are these good to buy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000N3T0S2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000N3T0VE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Thanks

Replies

• stephfly
    Options
    Really need advice
  • Heather737
    Heather737 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Google "bodyweight exercises" and start there before you buy anything. Once you get the hang of those you can add weights for extra oomph.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You can do similar exercises with dumbbells, so you do not "need" a barbell. You may not be able to lift as much with dumbbells due to the fact you have to stabilize them independently as opposed to a bar that you use both arms to stabilize.

As a beginner you should be lifting light and right. Focus on form, not how much you are lifting. Strength and mass are side effects to doing the exercises the right way. Injuries and pain are side effects to doing exercises the wrong way...

Free site to see form is bodybuilding.com. They have workouts and instructional videos. I also recommend that you do not blow a lot of money on weights or supplements since you are starting. Just learn and use what you have. (Body weight workouts, etc...) The time will come soon enough that you know what you need and what brand to buy.

All you need for supplements are a good multi-vitamin, fish oil and plenty of good food and rest to help you heal after workouts.

Cheers!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Check out these resources before buying anything. You don't need much equipment to get strong
    Convict conditioning
    Nerdfitness
    YAYOG
    A
    Shot of adrenaline
  • 4My40th
    4My40th Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Google "bodyweight exercises" and start there before you buy anything. Once you get the hang of those you can add weights for extra oomph.

THIS....definitely this :) Good luck
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'd recommend You Are Your Own Gym, that'll keep you going for a while before you need to think about investing in any kit.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    From someone who has bought dumbbells, kettlebells, indoor cycling trainers and a pull-up bar and then sold everything all except for the pull-up bar (which I'm keeping):

Having spent too much time worrying about whether I can safely do weight lifting at home, where the money was going to come from for a squat rack, bench press and weights etc. etc. I found myself right back where I started - in my own body. And that's what most folks on here who are looking to maintain muscle while losing fat need.

So long as you approach bodyweight exercises progressively and do some research, there is no reason why you would need to use weights to reach the same goals - unless you want to.

I found YAYOG was a good starter manual and am finding nerdfitness a really helpful website - loads of information there.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with the bench, save the money and invest it in a wider range of weights to use.
  • stephfly
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for all the advice.

I might begin with YAYOG and maybe in the future try out the dumbells

"Don't bother with the bench, save the money and invest it in a wider range of weights to use. "

Thanks. Which weights? You think the dumbells are a good way to start into weights in the future?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, when I got into lifting I started with exactly what you're wanting - a bench and in my case a set of Bowflex adjustable weights. I made very good progress with these and eventually moved on to the Barbell, but of course I still use the dumbbells for isolation lifts.

That said, I think you're headed in the right direction to start. If you have the funds, get the bench & the dumbbells to get you started, then add to your gym as needed (Barbell, Weight Plates, Power Rack, etc.)
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Instead of a bench, consider a stability ball (also called a body exercise ball. You can sit or lay on it, and you have to engage your core to balance on it. There are tons of videos, like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc-gxPWWdXg

It doesn't take a lot of effort to balance on a ball, but a bit more than a bench, plus you can use it for all kinds of exercises, for example: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/gear/equipment/best-stability-ball-exercises/#page=10.

Good luck!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Instead of a bench, consider a stability ball (also called a body exercise ball. You can sit or lay on it, and you have to engage your core to balance on it. There are tons of videos, like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc-gxPWWdXg

It doesn't take a lot of effort to balance on a ball, but a bit more than a bench, plus you can use it for all kinds of exercises, for example: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/gear/equipment/best-stability-ball-exercises/#page=10.

Good luck!

If the OP is interested in strength training (which it sounds like she is) she or anyone will lift more weight on a bench as opposed to a ball. Sorry, I am not a fan of the stupid stability balls. As far as "engaging your core" goes, if you're lifting weights overhead or doing other functional exercises like squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc. they will strengthen your core better and you'll be able to lift more weight than you ever will on a stability ball. In weight training, the goal is to put more weight on the bar each week. The "stability training" will come naturally with that.