I sweat too little which leads to overheating. Advice?

Options
Okay, so I have never in my life gotten more sweaty than having a light "glisten" on my back or clammy hands. I am not talking out of my *kitten* here - I have been observing other people who are in way better shape doing the same stuff I am and I am always the least sweaty person.

I have recently added cardio to my workouts and I have realized that my lack of sweating (which I am usually very happy about) is an impairement when it comes to cardio. I am doing C25K and the dreaded W5D3 20 minute run came up. The gym was hot and I completely overheated, my skin just felt like it was going to explode, it seemed like everything started swelling, yet the only thing wet were my palms. I failed that run.

Next time I attempted that run, I took off my linen tank top, and put it under cold water and put it back on wet. During the run I would used it to wet my arms and neck. It helped immensely. Unfortunately, at the end of the 20 min run it was only damp and I wasn't able to wet anything with it anymore.

What do I do for longer runs? I don't think dumping water on myself on the treadmill would be cool with the staff... Any fabrics that would keep the water longer? Any practical solutions to this? What do others like me do?

Replies

• 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Drink more water, and I don`t mean at the gym. I start my morning with 32 oz. and drink a gallon everyday. I sweat like a beast! Plus I wear long sleeves and layer at the gym. You can always peel off as you heat up.
  • SavageAbbey
    Options
    Drink more water, and I don`t mean at the gym. I start my morning with 32 oz. and drink a gallon everyday. I sweat like a beast! Plus I wear long sleeves and layer at the gym. You can always peel off as you heat up.

Yes....drink more water!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Another vote to drink more water.

I used to be like you. Then I started drinking more water. Now, I sweat "normally."
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do drink a lot of water! This really has nothing to do with my hydration levels. I am constantly running from my desk to the water cooler, drink a lot of tea and, as a result, pee really often.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Have you ever asked a doctor about your inability to sweat? It could be that you're not properly hydrated or it could be a medical condition.
  • mildammm
    Options
    Okay, here's an example. My boyfriend and I were on vacation and went hiking. We ate together, drank together, took the same amount of water with us. He's in great shape. It was really hot and a rough terrain. Same exertion, same hydration levels. Sweat was running down his stomach, mine was barely damp.

Some people just sweat less than others. I have never in my life had a bead of sweat anywhere. Do you really think that I have never in my life been sufficiently hydrated to sweat out a bead?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    lol. never sweat a single bead of sweat in your entire life? this sounds unlikely. and if true, yeah maybe you should be asking a doc rather than internet people.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Tea = caffeine.... Drink water, drink, drink, drink = pee, pee, pee. Get fully hydrated and clean out. I don`t see the point of wearing cloths to soak up the sweat, let you body breath and sweat. I wear layers to heat up and hold my body heat, not to absorb it. But, if more water doesn't do the drink, like the other reply said. Go see a Doctor!

And never ask for needed medical advise from those who aren't Drs. All you get are untrained peoples opinions.
  • mildammm
    Options
    I think you misunderstood what I was doing with the shirt... I was trying to put water ONTO my body to mimic sweat, not to soak anything up.

And yeah, I don't know where I was asking for anyone's medical opinion... Just some practical advice to get my body to cool down short of pouring water all over myself and the treadmill.

But maybe I should go to a doctor, since this seems like such an unlikely circumstance to all of you. Do you guys really not see that one person in the gym who gets off the treadmill red as a tomato but dry?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Lots of causes for hypohidrosis (insufficient sweating). Might want to look into something called a "cooling vest" -- I know some runners and bikers that swear by those for racing in the heat.

And you might want to look into a technique called "pre cooling", where you eat / drink chilled liquids or ice / popcicles before a workout. The point is to drop the core temperature before the workout. It's not something that everyone can tolerate, 'tho.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    But maybe I should go to a doctor, since this seems like such an unlikely circumstance to all of you. Do you guys really not see that one person in the gym who gets off the treadmill red as a tomato but dry?
    I've never really noticed. I usually get red before I start to sweat, but it doesn't mean anything.

I did grow up with a guy with no sweat glands though, but I'm surprised you've never asked a doctor about it before.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    me too, I AM HOT ALL THE TIME
    GOOPYHOT
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medications?

ETA: I take Topamax for my migraines and one of the side effects is decreased sweating. I used to sweat profusely and ever since I started taking Topamax, I can't sweat at all. This causes me to overheat very easy. My face gets extremely red and I get very dizzy. I usually have to sit or lay down.
  • mildammm
    Options
    Lots of causes for hypohidrosis (insufficient sweating). Might want to look into something called a "cooling vest" -- I know some runners and bikers that swear by those for racing in the heat.

And you might want to look into a technique called "pre cooling", where you eat / drink chilled liquids or ice / popcicles before a workout. The point is to drop the core temperature before the workout. It's not something that everyone can tolerate, 'tho.

Very interesting. Didn't know it's a symptom of so many other things.

Thank you for the information! I will look into it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Watch an iron man run leg sometime. Sponges on the shoulders.

I used to be upset about my oversweating, now I feel it might be a gift for endurance training.
  • mildammm
    Options
    Are you on any medications?

ETA: I take Topamax for my migraines and one of the side effects is decreased sweating. I used to sweat profusely and ever since I started taking Topamax, I can't sweat at all. This causes me to overheat very easy. My face gets extremely red and I get very dizzy. I usually have to sit or lay down.

No, no medications.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I just drink a lot of water. My daughter also inherited that trait from me. She is very active, and we live in a very warm place. Just keep up with the hydration. You are going to be fine.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My dad LOVES these. You can find them or an equivalent at any sporting goods stores (though I think my dad gets his at REI)

http://www.becoolbands.com/

I have not tried them myself, I sweat like there is no tomorrow.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My dad LOVES these. You can find them or an equivalent at any sporting goods stores (though I think my dad gets his at REI)

http://www.becoolbands.com/

I have not tried them myself, I sweat like there is no tomorrow.

There are some that you can wrap around your neck
  • mildammm
    Options
    I've never really noticed. I usually get red before I start to sweat, but it doesn't mean anything.

I did grow up with a guy with no sweat glands though, but I'm surprised you've never asked a doctor about it before.

I think I have sweat glands... I do get "clammy", like a film of sweat but never more than that.