Kettlebell weights - any good?

Options
I think I need some new workouts, I have DVDs, gym membership, bike, cross trainer, vibroplate.......... Crikey what a lot !!!

Hubby wants to know what to get me for Xmas and I thought about trying the kettle bell weights, are they any good? What weight should I get ? Do I need a book or DVD to go with them ?

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Personally I am not a big fan of the kettlebells. They are good for some workouts... It's just personal preferences. Some people love to workout with kettlebells others don't like to. If they have them at your gym (my gym has them) try them out there first then you will know rather you will like them or not. And you can get kettlebell workouts online. Pick the ones that appeal to you.
  • ziggythecat
    ziggythecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    never used them myself but found a cool workout to use them with the other day on youtube. has to be done outside though. seems like a good way to take out some frustration on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZGlqM039C0&feature=player_embedded
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    if I did 30min kb swings or sit-ups every day for 6 months I had lost 60lbs (my goal weight) today did 200 swings in 12mins and 100 sit-ups in 10 mins. It loses over 1000kcal per hour ...and has health benefits!
  • Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love my kettlebell workouts!! I bought my 10lb kettlebell at walmart, and it came with a DVD, but I ended up ordering some DVD's that I love! http://www.kettleworx.com/ Ryan Shanahan is awesome.
  • RubiCube
    Options
    First, let me start by saying that kettlebells are awesome. They will kick your butt in a way that regular weights won't (although each have their time and place).

Kettlebells are a very specialized form of training that take time and coaching to develop the proper work out. Because of this I wouldn't recommend you to try them out on your own to start off with. If you are interested in starting to train with kettlebells, definitely begin first with a certified professional (not just any 'ol trainer, but someone who specializes in kettlebells). It is very easy to injure yourself with kettlebells if you don't have the proper form and execution.

I have been taking kettlebell classes for months and I still wouldn't feel comfortable doing them on my own without the tips from my coach. Also, if you have any back problems, I would think twice. They are very quick to aggravate bad backs.

Hope this helps!
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I LOVE KBs!!!

I started doing KB workouts back in June and love them. I still do them occasionally, though it's never my primary or only workout. It really is a great cardio and strength exercise. Though, if you buy a kb start small. I'm a strong woman and I wrenched my back when I started with the 10lb. Start with 5 or 8lb then work up.

The Danskin KB comes with a dvd and I really like it. Less that $20 at Walmart. The KB is smooth and easy to grip when you pass it between hands and the woman in the dvd is very informative and not overly peppy/annoying. However, I would strongly discourage you from The Firm KB and dvd. The KB is incredibly small and difficult to fit both hands on and I found the woman in the dvd very annoying.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me or friend me for more info.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love them, too. My trainer makes me use them sometimes. I suggest being careful with them. They can be dangerous if your form is not correct.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump