Mexican Resturants

Options
Anyone have a suggestion on what to use for authentic mexican resturants? I have tried surfing the net to find out the calories but can't seem to find anything. I usually use ingediants but that can be misleading.

Replies

• skinnyack
    Options
    I battle this all the time as I am a Mexican Food addict... I have tried estimating off of chains like On The Border, Chipotle or Chevy's- but yeah, it's a guessing game.

Bump- hopefully someone else will have an idea!
  • reginabroyles
    Options
    When I go to save calories I take a bag of baked tostitos with me and they never say anything about it. Im not sre about the calories tho its a guessing game.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Good question I love Mexican....marking this to see if anyone else can help out
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ahh craving some mexican food here, but ohhh I want a margarita with it!
  • regi1
    regi1 Posts: 28
    Options
    I love mexican too and went to my favoite mexican resturant. The good thing is that I have learned what a to go box is. (LOL) Thanks for all of ur replies maybe together all of us mexican food lovers can figure itout :)
  • doris_day
    Options
    I love the idea of bringing your own baked chips. That's totally brilliant. I'm afraid I've stayed away from mexican restaurants because I always eat too much and pay for it the next day.

My goal, which I don't always stick to - is to not order anything with cheese. Not as yummy tasting, but I reduce a ton of calories and fat by not eating cheese. I like anything with black beans, which I hope are somewhat healthy. That is usually fairly filling.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I've stayed away from mexican restaurants because I always eat too much and pay for it the next day.

This is me. I just know Mexican is like the worst thing out there. I still eat it, but I make it myself. I can't even enjoy it at a restaurant (not) knowing how bad it is.
  • stephnsuarez
    stephnsuarez Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you go to a real authentic Mexican restaurant (not Moe's, Chipotle, etc), then there is a dish that can be either chicken or pork or beef that is called Mole. It is made from bittersweet chocolate and spices. It is full of antioxidants and probably the healthiest "saucy" meal you can get there. I read this on Eat This, Not That. Also, ceviche is relatively low calorie as it is basically shrimp in a lime and cilantro sauce. Look them up :)
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Get hard tacos. Corn has about 100 calories less than flour tortillas. I will get a hard tacos with chicken, NO CHEESE!!! DO NOT get refried beans. They are cooked in FAT. You can get regular beans if you want them, just ask. Umm, tostadas are good, too.
  • whalenmich7295
    whalenmich7295 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I live in Denver, and we have some of the best mexican food around. Truth is, its really hard not to break the "calorie bank" at these dinners. But when you get right down to it, eating out all together will cost you unwanted calories. Id suggest really wantching what you have and not going overboard ("Guac, and the marg, and the green chili, AND The cheese, etc...) Id say 86 the cheese, get things that are fresh and not fried (like soft tacos), and skip the marg (They have an average caloric value of 350, each (the price of 3 coronas).

As far as accuratly tracking the calories, i'd add them up indiviually when you get home, "x amout of cheese + y amount of tortilla shells, + z amount of pulled pork). Also some (not many) will have nutrtional fact son their food.
  • skinnyack
    Options
    I have been ordering grilled fish tacos on corn tortillas (soft not fried). It's just grilled fish, cabbage and a tartar based sauce (which there isn't that much of). Oh and Salsa- which you can have a ton of and it's not too bad on calories. Probably some butter that they grill it in but overall... maybe not too bad (comparatively).

I forgot to put in that Rubio's is another place you can ballpark calories off of.
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    We have a few family run places in my area and I always get a burrito with BBQ Chicken, lettuce and salsa. It's filling and doesn't make you explode with the extra beans and rice. I add quac when I feel like getting a little crazy ;)
  • sandeepnair
    Options
    When I visit places, I try mexican restaurants based on Yelp ratings and almost all top rated ones were awesome. By the way, Chipotle bol & salad is awesome!