Polar Chest Strap

Options
I've had my Polat FT4 for about a year now and have loved it. Recently I have been having issues with the chest strap not transmitting very well. It'll show 00 on the watch. I've tightened the strap and wetted it as much as I could. Has anyone else had this issue? If so what did you do to fix it?

Replies

• BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    Yes, with the brand new I bought. It didn't even work out of the box and did the same thing you described. I returned it to Amazon and bought another one. Works fine. I know that isn't much help, have you contacted Polar?
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Have you washed it? Sweat build up can cause it to have difficulty reading. I rinse my FT7 strap after every workout (and rub the sensors) and wash it in the washer with a load of towels every 5-6 uses (per Polar's instructions)
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the battery to me. I had this problem, but it was the battery in the receiver causing it in my case.
  • burnt_irish1
    burnt_irish1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 & had the same issue.... If it isnt the transmitter battery then the transmitter is faulty. I would try to replace the battery 1st. If that doesnt work, contact Polar customer support
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Have you washed it in the washing machine? And have you changed the batteries
  • summerlauren007
    summerlauren007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a polar chest strap and watch. The watch battery went well before the strap battery. I would suggest trying out the band with a treadmill or cardio machine that links to the band and see if it's still not working correctly.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You need a new battery. That is probably all.
  • tospaa
    tospaa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar HRM, but never had any problems with it yet; so I'm just guessing now but I think there is a high possibility that it might be a dead battery issue in that transmitter device which goes on the chest strap, especially considering you used it for a year.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Polar sucks. No, seriously. Go buy a Garmin device. It makes Polar look like the toy that it is.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I haven't changed the battery yet. Haven't really washed the strap except for rinsing it in water when I'm done. I'll throw it in the wash and see if that helps! As well as changing the battery!
  • wanderlustrr
    wanderlustrr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The battery in the transmitter is probably dead. The same thing happened with mine recently! The only thing that I could do was replace the transmitter because I couldn't get the backing off.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    have you changed the battery??:smile:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    if you have had it for a year, get a new battery for the transmitter, Mine went just over a year, they are pretty cheap as it is just a flat watch style battery
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yes, with the brand new I bought. It didn't even work out of the box and did the same thing you described. I returned it to Amazon and bought another one. Works fine. I know that isn't much help, have you contacted Polar?

bought another one?
  • kmatti844
    kmatti844 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar problem with the FT60. The first few times I used it, it would stop working within 10 minutes. Thought my sports bra was rubbing against it and moving it. New sports bra, tried it again, and it wouldn't transmit anything. Since it was still under warranty, I sent it off to the company for service last week.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I've had my Polat FT4 for about a year now and have loved it. Recently I have been having issues with the chest strap not transmitting very well. It'll show 00 on the watch. I've tightened the strap and wetted it as much as I could. Has anyone else had this issue? If so what did you do to fix it?

Time to change the battery. I just replaced the battery in my watch and the strap. It's easy to do and fixed that problem.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    If you change the battery, dont you need the seal as well?
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use an electrode gel to help with the transmission. I apply the gel to the strap and then wet the skin. No more problems.

This is what I use: Parker Spectra 360 Electrode Gel. The tube sells for less than $6 on Amazon and goes a long way.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have a polar chest strap and watch. The watch battery went well before the strap battery. I would suggest trying out the band with a treadmill or cardio machine that links to the band and see if it's still not working correctly.

I had this thought too, but I wasn't sure if most people have access to that. My elliptical came with a polar chest strap, and reads my FT4 if I don't use the machine's strap. My receiver showed 00, but the machine read my hr just fine. This showed me the transmitter wasn't the problem, which makes sense anyway since the watch doesn't turn off. Changing that battery fixed my issue.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Haven't really washed the strap except for rinsing it in water when I'm done. I'll throw it in the wash and see if that helps!

that's your problem, right there. The instructions state that it needs to be properly washed, on a frequent basis.

I put mine in a lingerie net bag, and toss it in the washer with my workout clothes once a week. If i ever have trouble with the strap, it's because I've forgotten to toss it in the washer that week.

(don't put it in the dryer, though)