Still not losing weight :( comments welcome

Options
Hey :)
I have been using my fitness pal for 10 days and started exercising and eating healthy 3 days prior to using this.
I still haven't seen any results :( I am the same weight.
I had to re enter my starting weight on the third or fourth day so I haven't but on any weight I just haven't lost any. Can anyone have a look at my diary and offer some help?
I post everything that I eat and don't drink anything but water and tea (with soya milk) which is but on sometimes. I also drink green tea, both teas which amount to about 3 kcal each time.
I'm not lacking motivation but it is disheartening :(
I only want to weigh what I did before university, only need to lose just over a stone.
Thank you :)

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    When you started your account, what setting did you use for how much weight per week to lose? You don't have much to lose, so you're probably best at either 1/2 lb per week loss or 1 lb per week. Are you set at 2 lbs per week right now? If so, then you might want to re-think your goal. With only 17 lbs to lose, eating at the 2 lbs/week goal simply isn't enough calories.
  • tibsons_girl
    tibsons_girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i know its disheartening to not see any results, but you've been on this journey for 2 weeks. Give it more time. According to your diary you aren't eating terribly, maybe on the low side of calories, but i don't know your stats so i can't say for sure. Just don't give up, it will happen soon enough :flowerforyou:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i second everything that was said before me.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I will tell you something really interesting! I started MFP wanting to lose 2lbs per week - so my calorie goal was 1200 per day. After about 4 days, I realized that was way too low for me so I bumped it to 1.5lbs per week (1470 calories). After a week at this calorie goal, I was just still way too hungry and weirdly enough NOT losing weight. So this past week, I changed my goal to 1lb per week (now at 1760 calories) -- and you know what? I weighed myself today and lost 2lbs!!

I am just wondering if maybe you are eating too low of calories and that is messing up your weight loss? Try changing your weekly goal and see if you notice any difference.

How much do you need to lose?
  • BeckeeHumphreys
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I was just hoping for at least a pound or two. :) I'm 5ft3 and weigh 135pounds :) xx
  • BeckeeHumphreys
    Options
    And ideally I'd like to be 120pounds xx
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You are within a healthy weight range for your height, depending on your body frame size. The weight loss is not going to come fast or easy.

Set your goal to lose half a pound a week. You need to weigh/measure your food and log accurately because there is not as much room for error with a small calorie deficit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the less you have to lose the slower it comes off. With 15 pounds to go, you're looking at 1 pound to 1/2 pound per week, and there are going to be stalls along the way.

We all want the weight off as fast as possible, but expecting too much from your body at this stage can lead to other problems.

It's only been a couple of weeks. Your body may take some time to adjust to your new habits.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    How carefully are your measuring your food. Estimating serving sizes generally does not work for most people as what they think is a serving is actually sometimes as much as two servings. A food scale and measuring cup/spoons are a necessity for accurately logging what you eat.

Second, assuming you are measuring carefully, if you just started working out, especially if it is intense workouts that are causing muscle soreness, you could be retaining water which will mask fat loss. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis I suggest if you haven't done so yet, take pictures of yourself and use a measuring tape to measure as least your chest, waist, and hips as the scale is a very inaccurate way to measure progress.

Third, you may be over estimating how many calories your exercise is burning. This is especially true if you are exercising for long periods of time. You may want to eat only a portion, say 75% of your exercise calories back.

Finally, it has only been a short period of time. Some people start with big losses at the beginning then have it slow down or stop in the second or third week. Others take a while to get going and then suddenly after 2-4 weeks a huge amount of weight comes off in a day or two. Give it at least 4 weeks.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you recently started exercising you could still be probably retaining a bit of water. Don't panic, you are doing a great job, just keep doing what you're doing for a while longer and hopefully you'll see some results.
  • BeckeeHumphreys
    Options
    I have always been very fit and exercised a lot before uni. I use the gyms calorie counters and match them to my recorded exercises and I measure everything out carefully as well :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor.
  • mreilly013
    mreilly013 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It def takes some time especially since you are within a healthy range, I've been at this for about 7 weeks and lost 4 pounds. Just give it a bit more time and you'll see progress. Have you taken pictures also? That really helps me because I can visualize that changes better.
  • mreilly013
    mreilly013 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    *Sorry it posted Double. I deleted this one.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have always been very fit and exercised a lot before uni. I use the gyms calorie counters and match them to my recorded exercises and I measure everything out carefully as well :)

Watch out for gym machines. They're notorious for overestimating your calorie burn.
  • sabianhunter
    sabianhunter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I didn't see any measurable change on my scale for about a month.... I DID see changes to my body that I liked and kept me going. My once not-waist started seeing just a slight indent around the middle so I knew that things were moving in the right direction, but I had to keep on going trusting that my effort would eventually pay off! That was October, I lost something like 11 lbs in November and December, even through the holidays. So yeah, keep at it!!

BTW, I am a TDEE method gal, so I've love my almost 16 lbs by eating an avg of 1600-1700 calories a day.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    if youre weight training you may be retaining water, you may not be eating enough, it may just be slow going - as we age our metabolism takes increasingly longer to get going...dont be discouraged. Your goal should be to be healthier - not just to drop lbs.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    sometimes our bodies take a while to start losing... in the past i've had to eat right and exercise for around 2 weeks before the weight started coming off... i've even heard of it taking up to a month or so of keeping with it, but then its a complete turn around and the weight comes off much faster. i'm not sure why some bodies are like this, and it hasn't happened to me every time i've tried to lose weight, like this time around i started losing right away. do you have any kind of insulin resistance? if so, you could try cutting your carbs down and that might help... that is what i am doing for my insulin resistance this time (started exercising about 2 weeks ago and watching carbs about 1 week ago) and i have dropped 5.6 pounds since i started. i wouldn't suggest the low carb if you aren't insulin resistant though
  • BeckeeHumphreys
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)
    I have noticed things being a bit loser and my waist becoming slimer and legs more defined but just no change on the scales. Thank you xx