Advice on best running shoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• runliftluv
    Options
    disagree on pay to play comment, you need to know if you are a neutral stride or if you over- or under-pronate and where you strike. . the shape of your foot will also come into play. once you know these details you can make decisions based on them, otherwise you are taking a shot in the dark every time.
  • Chem_X
    Options
    Lol, I was just going to suggest Asics! I'm kind of a shoe freak, and Asics are my favorites to walk and jog in.
    I scored a new 'cheap' pair on Ebay. When I'm active I do about 5 miles a day. The last time I tracked for a month using the Nike app was 112 miles (Half jogging/half running)
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Spending my hard earned money on the best shoes for the lowest price is a d*** move or wrong how?
    charge less or give me a better deal if they want my business.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If the difference were even 20% more than online, I'd patronize my local running store for ALL my running shoes. However, I found the same exact shoe at Amazon Warehouse deals for $120 dollars less (At that price, it had been taken out of the box, laced up, put back in the box and sent back to Amazon). Where else am I going to get that sort of deal?

But seriously, for starters - go to a store, get fitted. Spend the money; it is still less than a doctor's bill for stress injuries!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted, then buy them for cheaper online.

my current pair is brooks pure cadence. I really like the look of the new balance minimalist.

That's a d**k move and why running shops should (and sometimes do) charge for the fitting if you don't buy shoes from them.

I wouldn't have minded paying for the fitting and then buying shoes elsewhere. Frankly the price difference online and in-store was so huge that I felt like I was being ripped off in-store. I did buy my orthotics there, plus I stock up on socks when they have their big Balega sale twice a year. My next pair will almost certainly be purchased there.

I used to play ice hockey and still skate quite a bit, and the arena where I go sells skates but charges a fitting fee if you don't buy skates there for that reason. I think that's totally fair because sometimes matching online prices would sink a brick-and-mortar store.

So I agree that it's a d*ck move if the amount you're saving is very little, assuming you didn't pay for a fitting, but if the discrepancy is huge, then that's a different story.
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The best advice would be to go to a running store and get a run analysis done. They will record your stride and try and fix your running issues with the correct shoes. Everyone is different so what works for me might not work for you.

That said I am a over-pronating heel-striker who was suffering terrible shine splints. Got fitted for New Balance 860's V3 and have had zero issues since.
    Ditto...great advice
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

my current pair is brooks pure cadence. I really like the look of the new balance minimalist.

That's a d**k move and why running shops should (and sometimes do) charge for the fitting if you don't buy shoes from them.
    you're right, this attitude has doen it's best to Kill Brick and mortar retail in all categories then people ***** they can't find anything but the best selling/cheapest stuff locally and no-one knows what they are talking about (I spent 25 years in electronics and it's a huge issue there and I'm a photographer and moderated a photography site it's an even bigger problem in that industry- I'm fortunate living in a big city so there is always a couple of expert stores for anything
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I always go to the same store and they usually give me discounts because of it. I got 20.00 off my most recent shoe, 28.00 off my daughters and have a 25.00 loyalty discount coming on my next one. Plus, most will take the shoes back if you don't love them.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Spending my hard earned money on the best shoes for the lowest price is a d*** move or wrong how?
    charge less or give me a better deal if they want my business.

I didn't say shopping around was a d**k move - wasting their time and skill when you have ZERO intention of purchasing from them is a d**k move. If everyone came in and pulled that punk crap, we wouldn't have the benefit of running shops. If you don't like their prices, don't patronize them. They don't owe you a discount for anything, nor do they need to "charge less." Have you ever thought that the price of their consulting is built into the shoe? Like I said, d**k move.

What isn't a d**k move is buying subsequent shoes for a cheaper price.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Totally agree. It is fine to shop for the cheapest buy, but if you go into a running store and they give you great service and insight and you spend your money elsewhere it really is weak. The cost difference isn't that great as the 3 running stores in town give decent discounts to running club members. Buy a pair at the store, and if you want a 2nd pair you can always get that one online.

And in case anyone hasn't mentioned it, you should have at least two pair of shoes at all times unless you never plan on running consecutive days.

But I will say that race expo's are also places to get great deals. Nothing wrong with availing yourself of that.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options

I also figured that the chick who just spent 45 minutes watching my fat *kitten* walk and run and messing with my feet earned my business.

^^^THIS. I never would have found my current shoes myself, and I would still be in constant pain. The guy who had to endure the sight of my butt jiggling up and down as he analyzed my gait *definitely* earned his paycheck, and my gratitude, that day.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Totally agree. Local running shops do so much more for runners than provide a place to buy shoes. We need to keep them in business. That said, once you able to find a pair you like, I don't have any problem with ordering the next pair on-line.

But, please, please, people. Support your local running shops whenever you can!
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go to a running store and get an analysis done if you can to find the best fit of shoe for you. I personally love my Brooks Glycerin but I know plenty of people who like Asics, Saucony, etc etc better. Running shoes are very personal to your feet. :)
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

:noway:

I agree with all the people who say it's a d*ck move. Seriously.

I got fitted for my sneakers and the ONLY time I went online to buy a pair was last year because I didn't have time to go back to the running store.

I love my local running store (Fleet Feet) and recommend them to all runners. If I'm not happy with the shoe I can return them regardless of whether or not I wore them for a few runs. I know because I've done it before. I also returned the second pair that I bought and they took them back even though I threw the box away. How many online stores will give you that sort of customer service? My guess is not many if any.

ETA: And OP, when you DO get fitted for shoes and buy them also buy a pair of Superfeet inserts and replace the insert that comes with the shoe.
  • jensenta3
    Options
    Asics, you can't go wrong!!!!!
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm a Brooks girl! Adrenalines and now the (brand new) Transcend are my choices. Definitely check those 2 out if you find out you pronate at all!
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Totally agree. Local running shops do so much more for runners than provide a place to buy shoes. We need to keep them in business. That said, once you able to find a pair you like, I don't have any problem with ordering the next pair on-line.

But, please, please, people. Support your local running shops whenever you can!

and this!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If you have a local running store, go there. If not, find your nearest shoe store and laugh as your husband tries to keep up with the little ones while you try on every kind of shoe they have. That's what I did, anyway. I settled on the Asics Venture 4. I've been on several runs with them with no problem.

Edited for spelling
  • 140point6
    140point6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The other upside to going to a local store and actually purchasing there is that they usually understand that if you like something walking around the store it doesn't mean for sure that it will work for you actually running. Most stores are very customer friendly about making a return after one or two runs. You can't typically do that online.... Good luck