Utter fail :(

Options
It's only 1:10pm here and I'm already nearly 1000 calories over AFTER a 45 minute kickboxing workout. I'm eating too much junk at night. Tips for 3rd shift snacking?

Replies

• Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Is this different than 1st shift snacking... seriously confused to what 3rd shift snacking is! :)
  • mrsieve
    mrsieve Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift. Snacking is a way for me to keep awake most nights. A lot of nights it includes a lot of junk/high calorie foods.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Low calorie, high volume foods? Cucumbers, celery, carrots, bell pepper?? And then some cheese or preportioned nuts to add a little fat and protein to help with fullness??
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How about keep a supply of low cal/healthy foods on hand that will keep you within you caloric goal. You know.. apples..celery sticks , carrots, a banana.. whatever.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Pack healthier, lighter snacks. and work on changing your behaviors. Instead of snacking, fill your time in other ways. Not sure what your job consists of or what would be allowed so it's hard to give ideas...
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    plan healthy snacks in advance and bring them with so you aren't running to the vending machine or something when the urge to snack hits.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It depends somewhat on what you are doing on that shift. A lot of 3rd shift snacking is boredom, so find other ways to cope with that.

If you are sitting, consider using an exercise ball or active chair. I love bouncing around on my exercise ball, but then I only keep it in the home office...

Have tea, instead of snacks.

Have something high protein around the middle of your shift.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's only 1:10pm here and I'm already nearly 1000 calories over AFTER a 45 minute kickboxing workout. I'm eating too much junk at night. Tips for 3rd shift snacking?

You don't need to snack. You've eaten enough for the day.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Definitely healthy snacks! My favorite go to when I'm craving super sweet is the Fiber One bars, so I'm also getting fiber to fill me up! My favorite is the Oats and Caramel ones... If you are a salty snack person, try doing mixed nuts! This is also one of my favorite go to when I'm at work and just wanting to munch on something.

Of course veggies and fruit are probably better... But I get that sometimes you just crave that little bit of junk, and I feel like the snack bars a good way of filling that temptation/craving!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How about caffeine to stay awake? I'd say that is the more conventional way over snacking.

If you must snack, make it veggies.
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    or you could do like 50 jumping jacks when you get the urge to eat :) Seriously, I use this tactic....especially at home...if I get the urge to binge either from boredom or whatever, I go do a mini workout before I eat. i find I'm not that hungry after

Good luck - shift work sucks!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    preplan your snacks to fit within your calorie goals.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Definitely healthy snacks! My favorite go to when I'm craving super sweet is the Fiber One bars, so I'm also getting fiber to fill me up! My favorite is the Oats and Caramel ones... If you are a salty snack person, try doing mixed nuts! This is also one of my favorite go to when I'm at work and just wanting to munch on something.

Of course veggies and fruit are probably better... But I get that sometimes you just crave that little bit of junk, and I feel like the snack bars a good way of filling that temptation/craving!

Nuts are very high in calories. On a day when there are calories left, sure, but not on a day you are over calories.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    HUMMUS !!!- great with pretzels, cucumbers carrots- anything

or just some raw veggies with a set amount of dressing on the side

thats what i do during the day -(SAHM)

i am a snacker

or plan your junk- measure it out and bring it with you
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Nuts are very high in calories. On a day when there are calories left, sure, but not on a day you are over calories.

Funny how almost every article you read about weight loss and snacks recommends nuts. They usually are under 200 calories (since I highly doubt you will eat more than 24 in one sitting) and packed with protein, fiber, and healthy fats. They are filling and good for you. I would still recommend for people who want to grab a bag of potato chips to go for the nuts instead!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Funny how almost every article you read about weight loss and snacks recommends nuts. They usually are under 200 calories (since I highly doubt you will eat more than 24 in one sitting) and packed with protein, fiber, and healthy fats. They are filling and good for you. I would still recommend for people who want to grab a bag of potato chips to go for the nuts instead!

I personally find nuts are a terrible snack food. Eating enough nuts to feel anything resembling satisfied ends up with a crazy high calorie number because nuts are so calorically dense. 200 calories worth of nuts is nothing.

Each to their own, though, if it works for you, it works for you....
  • deksgrl
    Options

I count out 30 almonds. Since the person is talking about snacking to stay awake.... this indicates to me longer term than just the time it would take to eat 24-30 nuts. I would eat a pound of them if I didn't count them out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Plan your day and don't have to large a deficit... Smaller deficit, the more you can eat!
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This seems to me to be a classic case of being "hungry" when tired and probably bored. Why does junk food appeal so much more than healthy snacks? Are there any healthy foods that would fill the need without overloading on calories and chemicals? This is something I struggle with.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    We get free coffee at work. I drink 4-5 cups per day in addition to the travel mug I have on the way in in themorning andineve rhaveAnYproBLEM wantingTOsnack!:wink:

Seriously: coffee and sugar free gum and mints.