Looking for an activity tracker!

Options
I'm looking for an accurate activity tracker to track my calories burned during all activities. I'm just not sure what I should be looking for. Any info will be appreciated, Thanks!

Replies

• miked84
    miked84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Endomondo. Tracks calories burned, distance, time and even maps your workout. Also allows you to sync it with a heart rate monitor.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Get a chest strap heart rate monitor. Wear it when you work out. Bands and other gadgets only estimate. I have a Polar FT7, although I think the FT4 is a better value and does everything the FT7 Does. If you want more Bells and Whistles, there is a Polar BlueTooth Chest Strap, I think it's the H7. Then you can use your phone.

Personally, I like having the wrist watch to be able to quickly glance at my wrist to know my Heart Rate and Calories.

The Polar Devices are generally compatible with gym cardio equipment. In other words the machine will pickup your chest strap pod and display it on the console.

The next best thing IMHO is the BodyMedia Fit device. There is a lot of research that shows it's very accurate, however it doesnt monitor your heart rate and uses sensors to figure it out.

Don't let anyone tell you that the chest strap heart rate monitors aren't comfortable or a pain. They're not, I've been using mine for a couple of years, no big deal. Just don't go cheap, the no-name Walmart ones aren't any good.

Polar or Garmin all the way!
  • JessicaMKennedy
    Options
    My problem is that all the machines at the gym are calibrated for a 150 lb. woman and I'm definately well over 150 lbs. So I don't know accurately how many calories I'm burning. I would also like to know how many calories I'm burning during other activities such as cleaning house, cooking, strength training, yoga, zen class, and other activities that I may be doing between the times that I get up in the morning and go to bed at night.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Bodymedia FIT.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide between Fitbit and Body Media fit. Will I need a heart rate monitor in addition to either of those?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide between Fitbit and Body Media fit. Will I need a heart rate monitor in addition to either of those?

I am not sure about the Fitbit but you can link a HRM to the BMF.
  • sunkizzed
    sunkizzed Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and it tracks all my steps during the day. I love it. It has been such a great motivator for me. It really is in the mind on whether you succeed or not. Check it out on fitbit.com. YOu can use runkeeper as well to track your walks or runs.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I really like it, but I wish that I could upload my workouts without having to manually enter them. I tried the Fitbit and returned it because I didn't find it to be reliable. That was about a year ago, so I don't recall which one it was, just that there were several different color options at the time.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Garmin Edge 500 or 405........Garmin makes Polar look like the toy that it is.
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    fitbit force!
  • WinterWait
    Options
    I love my FITBIT. It's a step counter that goes with you everywhere (on land). In addition to counting your steps you can also use it to add in activity for non-stepping activities (ex: yoga, swimming, biking). The best part is that it syncs up with your MFP app and all your exercise is added automatically. I'm all about making my life simpler.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Garmin Edge 500 or 405........Garmin makes Polar look like the toy that it is.

Isn't the Edge a Cycle Computer? How would you use that in the Gym or jogging?
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Body Media fit
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Fitbit one! I love mine! It's great for walking/running and also just tracks your daily expenditure through your steps. Really simple and great fun when you have friends with them! :D
  • forever_winter18
    Options
    i use nike wrist band thing it tracks steps and calories :)
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    fitbit force!

The Fitbit Force was actually just recalled...http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/02/21/fitbit-force-recall/5699549/

I have the Flex and I like it, but it's not something that will tell me how well I worked out--it just motivates me to move. If you're looking for something that will track workouts and whatnot, I suggest a heart rate monitor.
  • pumpkinkatt
    Options
    Bodymedia Fit .... is great ...