Should you eat above maintenance on rest days?

Options
I've just started strength training (last week!) and am hoping to put on weight but without putting on too much fat. I don't mind how long it takes, and would prefer to gain slowly if this restricts the amount of fat gain.

I'm still trying to get my head around how many calories to eat. I'm 5'3, 105lbs and know my maintenance is around 1500 daily. Should I increase to 1800ish just on the days I do weights, or increase throughout the whole week? I'm going to do 3 days of strength training (1 day legs/shoulders, 1 day chest/back and 1 day arms) and a couple of days cardio (where I'll eat back burned calories).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    where are you getting your calorie numbers from? MFP or are you doing TDEE? I would think you'd want to do the TDEE method which would just be a steady goal regardless with your surplus netting out over the course of a week. Look for around a 250 or so calorie surplus, so a 1750 calorie net surplus over a weeks time.
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response!

The 1500 figure is based on choosing 'no exercise' on iifym.com (17% body fat). I wasn't sure if it's better for me to eat that amount on days that I don't exercise, and then up my calories to the 'gain' figure on days that I do, or if I should increase my calories all week round.

If I put in '3 times per week', my TDEE goes up to 1685 and my 'cautious gain' figure is 1769. Do you think I'd be better off having this amount all week, and not eating back any exercise calories? My biggest fear is that I could put on fat on the days that I'm not exercising but am eating above maintenance - I really don't know how all this works!

Thanks again :)
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    The problem with TDEE is that if your activity varies a lot, and isn't planned/accounted for in the calulations, you can end up chasing the optimal intake. I personally don't mess with TDEE. I find it a lot easier to take it day by day and eat back exercise calories. One day I might burn 650 exercise calories in February. Another day, I might burn 100 in April, or on the very the next day.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I know we are all different, but when it comes to bulking, the only thing that works for me is not counting calories every day. I monitor my protein intake, check my calories once a week or so, up the intensity on my lifts, and if the scale seems to be moving up too quickly, I cut back a little.

For your goals, it doesn't matter how you get your calories in over the course of a week. You can divide by 7 and eat at the same level daily, or you can divide by 3 and only eat more on workout days.

The end result will be about the same. Meal timing and calorie timing doesn't matter nearly as much as people think.

I can't imagine that you're going to have nearly the gains you are hoping for on under 1800 calories a day, but give it a couple months. If you don't see gains, up your calories. I'm 5'7, started my bulk at right around 119 pounds, and I'm needing way over 2000 calories to add weight. Usually over 2200. I'm sitting at a whopping 122 pounds this morning, probably mostly water weight.
  • mikeabboud
    mikeabboud Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat the same calories day in and day out. I estimate my needs and go from there. The problem with eating your calories back is how do you know how many you burned. Everything I have read suggests we over estimate the calories we burn and the machines are flat out wrong. Once you have an estimate work with that to determine what you need. Up or down you'll figure it out in about month and thats what you eat to maintain. if you are looking to gain or lose add or subtract. If you stop working out and you start to gain reduce your calories. Good luck
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I eat the same calories day in and day out. I estimate my needs and go from there. The problem with eating your calories back is how do you know how many you burned. Everything I have read suggests we over estimate the calories we burn and the machines are flat out wrong. Once you have an estimate work with that to determine what you need. Up or down you'll figure it out in about month and thats what you eat to maintain. if you are looking to gain or lose add or subtract. If you stop working out and you start to gain reduce your calories. Good luck

You don't know exact burns. It takes trial and error over time to get a feel for it after doing the same activities many times, which is why most people (especially those using this method) conservatively increase their caloric surplus over time.

The problem is, I might expend 500 calories on some activity, and then not do the same activity again for 3 weeks. How can I account for such a variable activity schedule using a flat-line calculation like TDEE? I don't think it's possible.

if I started over with TDEE now, I would lose more weight until finding the right balance again. I can't afford that.
  • torizia
    Options
    Hmm okay thanks, all food for thought! Maybe I'll aim to 'net' 1700-1800 per day instead, since I intend doing a couple of days cardio as well as the strength training. I think the key part is choosing a routine and sticking with it for a month or so, then checking how I'm getting on!
  • Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    No, IMO keep your diet consistent, allow yourself one cheat meal per week to keep your sanity (included in your calorie allotment) and do one or two active rest days per week.
  • mikeabboud
    mikeabboud Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    kind of sucks how you can get so many opinions as to what may or may not work for you. Some contradictory to each other. Makes it hard to figure out. Google alan aragon, lyle mcdonald, and Dr. Layne Norton. They all of books and websites that will help.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, IMO keep your diet consistent, allow yourself one cheat meal per week to keep your sanity (included in your calorie allotment) and do one or two active rest days per week.

Why?

as long as your weekly deficit/surplus is the same the weight gain/loss should be almost identical. OP, eating on maintenance days is a good idea, that is when your muscles grow and repair, and it will provide energy to fuel the next day's workout.
  • torizia
    Options
    OK thanks. I'm not worried about having 'cheat days' as I've been on 1200 calories for the past few months and haven't struggled - I did the occasional day at or slightly above maintenance but never more than a couple of hundred over so I don't have any urge to splurge (!)

I'm going to go with the majority and try the TDEE method - really useful advice about it being okay to eat above maintenance on rest days thank you! I'll aim for 1800 a day, and will see how I get on. I don't mind if the builds are incredibly small - I'm in no rush and am happy to focus on gradually building my strength. I can always increase my calories if I feel I'm not seeing enough of a difference!

Thank you all for your suggestions - you've been really helpful :)
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Having used both methods, I find using TDEE and keeping cals constant every day to be MUCH easier. Once you establish your true maintenance cals or TDEE value, you'll get the same results either way. It just boils down to what is easier for you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Cheat meal during a bulk?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Finding maintenance is tricky when you up your calories. I would suggest reversing up from your current intake (I am assuming here that you are logging accurately) - add say 100 calories and sit there for 2 weeks, add another 100, sit there...rinse, repeat until it looks as though you are slowly gaining. You may find however that you will end up leveling out after a while and may need to up calories periodically.

You can cycle calories, but I prefer just to eat to a static number throughout the week. On a bulk you really do not need the extra calories for energy for training.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Cheat meal during a bulk?
    For the diet soda and Skinny Cow products, perhaps.