My Biggest Battle

Options
Recently I have realised, well when i say recently I have always known that my biggest battle is with my mind. I can be on an amazing high, so happy with my loss of inches off my body, and sometimes a couple of pounds, then I can wake up the next day to one of my dark days were nothing seems to make any sense I look in the mirror and it pisses me off, I feel disgusting I dont see why anyone would find me attractive at 183lbs! yet when i was at 154lbs before pregnancy I was still thinking the same way! I suffered from post natal depression for 10 months, depression after i lost my brother 8 years ago and another big battle with grief when I lost 2 uncles last Christmas, one whom i was really close too, so I understand how important it is for me to keep myself feeling positive and thinking positive.

SO!! I have decided that if stepping on the scales makes me feel ugly fat disgusting, then im going to remove them from my journey and go with inches loss, I know some people might think its stupid as it is a main part of weight loss and keeping on track, but I find that my obsession with seeing a certain number on the scales determines my happiness and mental well being, then its just not worth it. I am such a motivated person, I work out 5 days a week, I am a full time stay at home mum to an active 2 year old, so im constantly on the go, I dont eat any rubbish and all I drink is 2/3 litres of water a day and the odd cup of coffee. My son deserves to have a happy upbeat mum who loves herself for who she is at the present time, not a depressed, unhappy mum who is pining for what I could be in the future or what I was in the past. I have decided to start living in the now, a clean slate with new goals.

My goals

Every day, when I look in the mirror compliment one thing i love about myself and my life.

Focus on the inches loss I have from month to month and how I feel in my clothes.

Enjoy my life as it is, I cant change the past, the past is gone.

Take one day at a time

Stop feeling guilty for things, guilt is the lowest of energy and will NOT help me.

Everyone is amazing you are doing a fanstastic job and you keep me going on my journey when i read how you guys do it. You accepted me back with open arms when I got lost for 3 months in a downward spiral of depression and comfort eating. I am on track, I will keep my mind positive and happy.

HAPPY JOURNEYS PEOPLE YOU ARE ALL AMAZING :-)

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    that's a GREAT idea. Sometimes we tend to obsess over the scale (me included) and it brings us down. if removing that obstacle from your life helps you to succeed, DO IT , DO IT, DO IT !!! :) good for you for being able to!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I think the scale obsession is highly overrated as tool to stay healthy. I like that you haven't given up.
  • brwnsugababe
    Options
    Yes I agree, scales are truely overrated. I'm sorry that you have been feeling this way my friend, but it seems like you have put together a great plan to help you overcome the bad thoughts and feelings. You are strong in everyway and I KNOW you will succeed!

Love

Quanda
  • lovelypink13
    Options
    We're all proud of you!!
    I can;t stop thinking of weighing myself i might need a change of system
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Wow, I understand how you feel about the scale! I think I'll try the same thing, it can get so depressing thinking that you have been doing so well with eating only to go on the scale and see your at the same weight or maybe even a half a pound heavier! I can be so frustrating.... I think the scale is going in the closet for a while and I'll let it out once in a while for good behavior!
    keep on going, never give up!!
    Holly
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    Well said, I agree completely. I obsess far too much with the scales. I suffer with depression and when the scales show me what I don't want to see, it makes me feel even worse about myself and how I look.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You sound like you are absolutely doing the right thing for you and that's great. As long as you are making progress towards your goal it doesn't matter how you measure it.

We have had many threads about how often you should weigh yourself and apparently many people think of the scale as their enemy. So they tend to weigh themselves less frequently. It works for them so that's exactly what they should do.

I am the complete opposite, so I do what works for me.

But the thing to remember is that we are all working together towards the same goal, a healthier body and a healthier lifestyle.
  • scotslass
    Options
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, it means sooo much!! I am defo doing what works for me for my mental well being more than anything, I refuse to let a number ruin my day, if Im losing in inches!!

You are all amazing, and I love the support system behind you on here.

Keep up your hard work, you are amazing people :-)