Lightest chinese food?

Options
2»

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I made a pic about this last night! Can't share it though, adverts.
  • SonyaKou
    SonyaKou Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know this is too late for last night, but maybe it can help you for future reference. While high calorie does not mean unhealthy, authentic Chinese food is not particularly good for you if you are trying to lose weight. Their cooking methods involve a lot of frying and boiling so most of the nutrients are drained from the veggies and everything tends to be covered in sauces that are thickened with corn starch. Authentic food is a little better for you, steamed snow peas, bok choy, and yu choy, but even when done traditionally, they are generally covered in sesame oil or butter. Every restaurant tends to have a standard white-centric menu, but there are usually a few dishes on there that are authentic and what the staff make themselves. Virtually all meat and veggies are fried in a wok, but some regional style Chinese will have grilled lamb/ beef. Seafood options also tend to be more authentic and healthier. If they offer steamed fish, that's your best possible meat option. Best option is to be honest with your waiter and ask them what they would recommend for diet food.
    That being said, in all honesty, my Chinese family and friends all switch to eating Japanese or Korean style food when we want to lose weight. There are far more fresh veggies, probiotic rich foods and low-cal options in those cuisines. Especially when looking at European or North American Chinese restaurants. A really nice North American compromise is to try Vietnamese food. Those restaurants have many of the same options, but with lighter sauce, less oil and lighter cooking methods.
    Otherwise, I do what you did, when I know I am going to be having (what we jokingly call because of all the grease) "Dirty Chinese food", just set aside a good amount of calories, cut back on your rice and focus your meal around non-breaded meats and steamed veggies. Happy eating = )
  • williamshl10
    williamshl10 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Our Chinese restaurant here will make you a diet option, sauce is on the side with no added oils or salts. And everything is steamed.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a strange worry. I am going for chinese with my boyfriend and his friends tonight. I am asking your help so that I don't end up ordering a 1,000 calorie dinner! I'm a vegetarian so I usually just go for a veggie chow mein but after doing my research it looks like one of the worst choises!

If you eat eggs, egg foo young is pretty tits...
  • cmendoza13
    Options
    I always get wonton soup and sushi. I've found those are the lowest cal chinese options. Veggies are always good, just beware of the sugary sauces they cook them in. And go with white rice instead of fried, if you want rice! The biggest thing to watch out for with chinese food, as with most foods, are the sauces. Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I always get wonton soup and sushi. I've found those are the lowest cal chinese options. Veggies are always good, just beware of the sugary sauces they cook them in. And go with white rice instead of fried, if you want rice! The biggest thing to watch out for with chinese food, as with most foods, are the sauces. Good luck!
    Chinese sushi....yum. :tongue:
  • nicolef07
    nicolef07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Most Chinese restaurants now have steamed entrees which are a great choice. Moo Goo Gai Pan is also a good choice. Enjoy!
  • bachampion04
    bachampion04 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Dont let calorie numbers scare you...Not all high numbers calories are bad. For one, having a "cheat day" after a long time of discipline will never hurt you. Also, not all calories are bad calories, if you are vegan then youa re definitely good lol. As long as there are healthy calorie easy to digest with some high quality H2O you are good to go. Never starve yourself or let calories keep you out of social events.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump for if I ever eat chinese
  • siinahei
    Options
    I'm very grateful for all these answers! Thank you so much. I'm off to enjoy a nice evening now (it's only 6.30pm in UK time) and will not think of the calories.
    Just a slight comment about high calorie not being unhealthy. I know that very well. But calories coming from fat and sugar (which this "chinese" food is full of) are not good. I will be looking at the menu based in all these great advices - thank you!
    I personally would prefer another eastern restaurant but as this has been organised by other people I can't complain (much).

Have a lovely weekend everyone! I am ever so grateful for having all this from you all. :):):)
  • brock_west_houston
    Options
    Eating out Chinese is a once-in-a-great while treat for me. Some of the calories are inevitable but I am able to practice restraint. I eat mostly meats and vegetables. I'll have maybe a 1/4 cup of fried rice, and a bowl of wonton soup (with just one pork dumpling in it) and maybe one or two pieces of sushi (which has that sticky white rice). Other than that I lay off the carbs, except for the sauces some of the meats are covered in. I don't find it too difficult to use moderation and don't crave the eggrolls as badly as I used to so I usually just skip them. If you feel a deep urge for certain items, try limiting them to two or three bites, and space them out, and then stop after the thrid satisfying bite and ensuing chew.
  • Jess1caLe
    Jess1caLe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What kind of vegetarian are you? Lacto/ovo?

If you're really strict, stick with the steamed veggies and tofu, lightly pan fried. In a separate pan, otherwise you'll get your food deep fried in the same vat as the chicken.

Not only do a lot of the sauces and soups are high in sodium, they're made with beef/chicken stock. Even the bottled sauces have oysters, eel or sardines in them. Ask for a specific (traditional) vegetarian only menu they usually have something on hand. My mom is Buddhist and has to ask for a specific menu item that doesn't include animal stock, dairy or eggs.

And referencing back to the high calorie worry, it's one meal and a specialized one at that lol It's not like you eat it all of the time. I'm Asian, I always have to find a healthier way of eating when I visit my family. It's not an easy task lol

And someone said it best when they mentioned that a high calorie meal doesn't mean it's unhealthy and a low calorie meal doesn't mean it's a healthy meal. That's spot on.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    Sesame and Peanut soba noodles
    Shiitake/Tempeh/Cabbage Stir Fry
    Mushroom/Tofu Potstickers
    Ginger Lo Mein
    Any veggie crockpot dish (Buddha's Delight)
    Garlic eggplant or Broccoli (ask for less oil)
    Mabo Tofu
    Steamed buns
    Cold Rice Salad
    Tomatoes and Eggs
    Stir Fried Green Beans

^^ Classic healthy Chinese dishes I grew up with. Not necessarily low-calorie, but definitely nutritious and delicious.