Weekends

I have been on and off MFP for over a year. My weight fluctuates up and down but only a1 or 2 lbs. But I have lost 2 lbs this week and would like to continue downward. One of my biggest problems is that when Friday night arrives, my husband usally wants to order pizza and wings. Then Saturday we play cards, order take out food and drink with family members. All of my hardwork from the week is thrown out the window.

I need help with keeping my resolve. I sometimes justify that I can eat the take out or pizza as long as I am working out.

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    3 slices of pizza = 600 calories (ish)
    3 pints of beer = 600 calories (ish)
    Total = 1200 calories

2 hours on the treadmill = 1200 calories (ish)

You can't outrun a bad diet.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I hear ya.

You can continue to have your indulgences, but you could average them out during the week. So like, if your weekly calorie goal is 11,200 per week (avg of 1600 per day). You'd eat like this, maybe?

S-Th=1360
    F&Sat=2200

And then log everything you eat. Doing this, you probably won't lose weight in a steady, predictable manner. Sometimes you'll lose, sometimes you won't. But you will be learning the "cost" of those high calorie meals and be able to decide if they're "worth" the effort they cost.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Do you log it? o:

I was getting Dominos every weekend with my boyfriend, and when I finally logged it I realized it was CRAZY calories. It's not to say that I can never have Dominos, but it's easier to order something slightly lower calorie or not do it every week now that I know how much it sets me back. No amount of exercise is going to undo 3,000 calories of grease and cheese (oh my god, that cheesey bread.)

That being said, you can have a couple slices of pizza and pretty easily fit it into your plan. Just don't go overboard.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    I still eat food like pizza and wings, have a beer, etc., as long as it's within my calorie allotment. I think of my goal as a weekly average, not a daily target; sometimes on a weekday I'll eat 200-300 calories under my goal so I can eat more on the weekend while still meeting my overall goal.

The thing you need to learn - and it is hard, no denying it, with food you enjoy - is how to stop eating when you're no longer hungry, especially with tasty food. Take small bites, chew slowly, and, most importantly, before taking another helping, ask yourself whether you are hungry or whether you just feel like eating more. If it's the latter, ask yourself whether you'll feel better in the morning if you eat the wings now or say no. I find that helps a lot.
  • jeannie2596
    jeannie2596 Posts: 11 Member
    You can't outrun a bad diet.

LO, so true.

You can continue to have your indulgences, but you could average them out during the week. So like, if your weekly calorie goal is 11,200 per week (avg of 1600 per day). You'd eat like this, maybe?

That's an idea. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet per MFP and they go fast. Thank goodness working out gives me a little wiggle room.
  • jeannie2596
    jeannie2596 Posts: 11 Member
    Do you log it?

No, because I feel guilty and figure I will just try to work it off. Then it just becomes a vicious cycle. Then I fall off MFP.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Do you log it?

No, because I feel guilty and figure I will just try to work it off. Then it just becomes a vicious cycle. Then I fall off MFP.

Do it, but don't feel guilty about it!
    I always log when I treat myself (big sushi nomfest last night) and remind myself not to feel guilty about it.
    Knowing what it looks like in terms of your weight loss goal is important.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Do you log it?

Don't feel guilty. Just log it. The ap won't judge you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You got to log it. But you can totally fit one or two slices of pizza in your goals.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Definitely log it!!! I'm in the same boat as well... I lose weight during the week, and gain on the weekends. I told my boyfriend that he needs to be more supportive of my efforts. So we try and order "healthy" take-out on the weekends now like sushi or Japanese or make our own meals. Then drink lite beer (I know it never tastes as good, but gotta make the sacrifices for your goals!!). The day after, make sure to drink green tea or water and eat lots of vegetables (more so than usual) to flush your system (I got this tip from a weight loss consultant a long time ago and it does help). Really though, you have to be realistic about your lifestyle and why you are losing weight. Ultimately it's your choice.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Do you log it?

No

*shrug*
  • david6111
    david6111 Posts: 7 Member
    I do exactly the same!

But my weaknesses are home-made burgers, pizzas and wine. I log every bit of it and end up going way over my allowed calories pretty much every Friday and Saturday. It's OK though because I catch up over the following week days mostly.

I would try logging these weekend delights to see if you can actually make up the calories (I have to walk them off for hours) and maybe sub in some lower calorie alternatives occasionally. Good luck!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    I focus on my weekly average rather than daily which makes this whole thing much easier. I am a pizza monster and probably have it once sometimes twice a week and have still lost. It's all about balancing out your indulging days with less calorie days. Some weeks I've eaten a whole medium pizza for dinner and because my weekly average is still in a deficit I still lose! You can indulge and lose weight too :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Don't feel guilty. Just log it. The ap won't judge you.

^ This. Your log is for YOU, not anyone else. Be honest with yourself. That's the only way to make any progress. You have to know what you are actually eating before you can decide how to modify your eating habits.
  • pepper176
    pepper176 Posts: 16 Member
    I know that weekends are harder - I'm home where snacks are easily available, I often go out for breakfast on Saturday mornings, and we all like to have a treat while we relax, right? So I try to start off every Saturday morning with a really great workout, burning 400-500 calories or more, so I know I can "afford" to treat myself a little more on those days. It helps!

Also, as you learn more about your eating habits you can make better decisions about what you can trust yourself not to totally binge on. I LOVE pizza, and if I order one and bring it home I will eat so much more than I need or really even want to. If I go out and order pizza in a restaurant, I will eat a much more reasonable amount.