How do you cope eating out?

Options
I often eat out and I'm getting better at choosing the healthier option but how do you cope in a group of 6 or 7 people all eating huge TGI meals with alcohol? The last time I ate out with a group of people it was Nandos and I truely felt tourtured. How have people coped with groups of people eating large quantities of bad food?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Don't eat a lot.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    we do not even eat out once a year,
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    How have people coped with groups of people eating large quantities of bad food?

Well, sort of like my folks who used to say, "Well, if your friends all jumped off a bridge, would you do it?
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Choose a nutritious healthy option. Even in Nando's the veggie burger in a bun is a pretty low cal option and you can have salads as well.

If you can, look up the nutrition info online before you go somewhere.

Another option is to just have whatever you want as long as you stay on track the rest of the time.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead.
    Get an extra workout in.
    Order an appetizer and a salad as your main meal.
    Order something, cut it in half and immediately put the uneaten portion in a to-go box for lunch the next day.
    Drink more water than booze.
    Eat at home more than going out.
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I always ask for a to go container immediately when I order to be brought with the food. I pack up half (or whatever is over a pepper serving size) and then eat what remains.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead.

The week before or the week I will leave myself a couple hundred calories left over at the end of the day. The day of I eat light for all the other meals besides the one going out.

I see how many calories I have left over from that day + the deficit I left myself throughout the week. A little research will tell me if I have enough calories to get my meal based on website nutritional info. Usually with this method I can get what I want and will be under my calorie goal for the week (not that day though, obviously). I make sure to include in calories from drinks when calculating everything out.

If its spontaneous, I pick a light choice off the menu (salad, grilled chicken, etc.) and drink water.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I always ask for a to go container immediately when I order to be brought with the food. I pack up half (or whatever is over a pepper serving size) and then eat what remains.

This is also what I have been doing lately and it works! I have also taken to ordering protein, usually steak, and double veggie, no starch. I can usually allot myself a beer or two too as long as it doesn't kill my calorie goal for the week and I usually work in an extra workout or two during the week, even if its only a 30 minute, 250 calorie burn.
  • Stitch_down_carbs
    Stitch_down_carbs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ahh thank you , I like the appitizer and salad as a main idea.
  • hellzak
    hellzak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I say, as long as you arent eating out ALL the time, enjoy yourself for the night! This is how people that don't need to lose weight do it. You just cant make it a regular habit.
  • Stitch_down_carbs
    Stitch_down_carbs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt but those things are nothing alike XD
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    and that would be a side salad/green salad, not a big full sized dinner salad...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How have people coped with groups of people eating large quantities of bad food?

Well, sort of like my folks who used to say, "Well, if your friends all jumped off a bridge, would you do it?

This!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You can almost always find something at a restaurant that's reasonable to eat. I tend to follow "restrictive" macros (*gasp* :noway:) and I still eat out quite a bit. Don't be afraid to make substitutions and don't go wild but honestly gorging on food is not a requirement for having fun. The last time I went out with a group we went to a sushi place. I had a small glass of sake, quite a bit of sashimi and appetizers, and then abstained from dessert (while all of my friends ordered a piece of fried cheesecake - each, haha). I had a great time and I actually ended up under my calories for the day. Just pay attention to what you eat, talk to your waiter about any substitutions and have fun.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I eat.

/Thread
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Like many have said, I plan ahead. Look at the menu online to see what kind of calories you're looking at. If the meal is more calories than I'd like, I just cut the meal in half, place my napkin over the food, then put in a piece of gum to ensure I do not continue to pick at the food.

Good luck!
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat all the carbhydrates it really does work.
    For example if there is a nachos eat the salsa or cheese and use veggies to dip.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    when i go out to eat with my friends i actually end up eating way less than i plan because they are the kind of girls who eat like 5 bites and say they are "so full".... it actually drives me a little bit crazy and makes me feel terrible about still being hungry. i wish there was some kind of middle ground between your situation and my situation! :(
  • firelight4321
    firelight4321 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Definitely look up and see your options before you go. Know the restaurant and check the nutrition facts for what is in your calorie budget. You might think a salad is low cal, but drench it in dressing and throw croutons, bacon bits, seeds or nuts on it and it's a high calorie meal. Also, try suggesting restaurants with low cal menus. Logan's Roadhouse has a 550 calorie or less menu.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Eat a smaller quantity than your friends.