plateauing?

Options
I'm on my third week into my diet, I lost 12 pounds within the first 2 weeks, and since then i havent lose a single pound? infact i think its even went up a pound or two, I ve ate the exact same food types and done even more exercise than before i dont know if im doing anything wrong? i was recently eating at 1200, but since changed it up to 1400.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    **Sitting you down, looking you right in the eyes***

You have 150 lbs. to lose. You're in this for the loooooooooooong haul.

I can ask you all kinds of questions, and get more details. And that might help. But the truth is, you're gonna be doing this a while. Some weeks, you simply don't lose. Some months, you simply don't lose. It's possible you're not eating enough. If you want some suggestions, go ahead and post your age, weight, height and how much exercise you're doing. People will give advice.

But right now, you simply need to learn to be patient and be consistent with whatever you're doing.
  • kmglennie
    Options
    I think it's probably too soon to be thinking you're at a plateau. Also, you haven't been consistent, as you mentioned you changed up the calories. Give it some time and perseverance, and if after like, six weeks of same calories and no weight loss, maybe revisit what's going on and consider it a plateau.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

But right now, you simply need to learn to be patient and be consistent with whatever you're doing.

This. It isn't a race, it is a lifestyle change. Keep at it.
  • abbeyoconnor99
    abbeyoconnor99 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    **Sitting you down, looking you right in the eyes***

You have 150 lbs. to lose. You're in this for the loooooooooooong haul.

I can ask you all kinds of questions, and get more details. And that might help. But the truth is, you're gonna be doing this a while. Some weeks, you simply don't lose. Some months, you simply don't lose. It's possible you're not eating enough. If you want some suggestions, go ahead and post your age, weight, height and how much exercise you're doing. People will give advice.

Yeah I understand, thanks though
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Weightloss isn't linear and your already lost 12 in a short amount of time. You will not lose weight or even a large amount of weight every week that's just how it goes. You didn't put it all on instantly so it won't come off that way. Patience and keep doing what you're doing
  • newpalfan
    newpalfan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The key is to pace yourself. Don't overdo exercise or eat too few calories, or you will never reach your goal. You can do this!
  • abbeyoconnor99
    Options
    The key is to pace yourself. Don't overdo exercise or eat too few calories, or you will never reach your goal. You can do this!

Thanks!
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You have 150lbs to lose...Why are you eating so little?

I started at 308lbs (not sure where you started at) but I was given a daily goal of 2100. I have lost 73lbs since june and im still eating/netting 2000 cals a day.

Dont deprive yourself. If you DO plateau with a very low calorie goal you arent really going to be able to cut it much further are you. If you are quite overweight the weight will come off quicky at first anyway without having to resort to drastic calorie deficits.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This question speaks to me. I joined MFP last Fall and lost quite a lot of lbs but after Christmas I started to feel stuck and frustrated. Obviously 2-3 weeks with no progress doesn't really mean a plateau. But I felt discouraged and went right back to the behaviors that resulted in my being obese in the first place. I had stopped feeling achiness in my knees...that came right back when I regained weight. I have done better this week and want to get to the head space where I am patient and dedicated to eating right for it's own sake EVEN IF I don't lose another ounce. I know how important this is.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food and measuring your liquids? Every single thing that passes your lips?
    If no you're eating too much.
  • abbeyoconnor99
    Options
    You have 150lbs to lose...Why are you eating so little?

I started at 308lbs (not sure where you started at) but I was given a daily goal of 2100. I have lost 73lbs since june and im still eating/netting 2000 cals a day.

Dont deprive yourself. If you DO plateau with a very low calorie goal you arent really going to be able to cut it much further are you. If you are quite overweight the weight will come off quicky at first anyway without having to resort to drastic calorie deficits.

I started at 279, at 268 atm, i was suggested 1500, im eating at 1400 now
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    What have you set your weekly loss to be? I assume it must be 1.5-2lbs?

Maybe give it a few weeks to see if the scale starts moving again. I doubt you would be at a plateau already.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    But you're supposed to eat back exercise calories too.
  • abbeyoconnor99
    Options
    What have you set your weekly loss to be? I assume it must be 1.5-2lbs?

Maybe give it a few weeks to see if the scale starts moving again. I doubt you would be at a plateau already.

2lbs yeah, and Ok, Thankyou
  • abbeyoconnor99
    Options

All of them? I genuinely don't see the point in that
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    SIDESTEEL wrote this on the subject....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

This is a pretty big debate that pops up continually on the main forums.

Should you, or should you not, eat back your exercise calories? The answer is: It depends.

Here are some background definitions before going into this:

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The number of calories you burn at complete rest.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.
    NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of activity that is not planned exercise. Vacuuming, driving, brushing your teeth, for example.
    TEF/DIT (Thermic Effect of Feeding or Diet Induced Thermogenesis): Caloric expense of eating/digestion.
    TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) = Sum of the above. BMR+EAT+NEAT+TEF

Exercise calories, as they are typically used in MFP specifically, is represented by EAT in the above definition. Whether or not you should eat your EAT (giggity) depends on what system or method you are using to calculate your intake needs.

If you are using most other online calculation tools to determine an intake estimate, that estimate is going to already include EAT as part of the suggested intake. For example, it will ask you an activity factor that includes an average of your exercise, and with this it increases your TDEE to account for the fact that you are exercising.

If you are using MFP to tell you how much to eat, that estimate is NOT going to include EAT as part of the intake estimate.

Myfitnesspal uses a caloric estimation tool that expects you to eat back calories burned during exercise.

Consequently, MFP will essentially give you a LOWER intake estimate than an external TDEE calculator would give you.

In other words:

You tell MFP: I'd like to lose 1lb/week.

MFP says: Hey, you should eat X calories every day to lose 1lb/week.

You then decide to exercise and you burn 400 calories.

MFP says: Hey you pecker, you said you wanted to lose 1lb/week. Now you need to eat X+400 because you told me you wanted to lose 1lb/week.

So based on this:

If you are using MFP to tell you how many calories to eat, you should probably be eating back some portion of your exercise calories.

If you are using an external calculator and then customizing your intake to match that, you should not be eating back your exercise calories.

Lastly: Exercise expenditure is often over-stated.

My general opinion is that it's much simpler and uses less guess-work to use a custom intake and just forget about the exercise calorie model entirely, but that's a different topic of sorts, more discussion of which can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

All of them? I genuinely don't see the point in that

Essentially, large deficits can lead to muscle loss and a slower metabolism. Since you have 150 lbs to lose, it's not as big of a deal as long as you eat foods higher in proteins and weight training. The bigger thing is, you don't wan to over restrict calories too much because, for many people, this is one of the main reasons for binging which can halt progress. Additionally, over restricting calories can make it difficult to get all the macro and micrinutrients that your body requires. For example, a person should aim for .8 -1g of protein and optimize muscle retention. Grant it, your body will burn muscle anyways as you will not need as much as you get lighter. I will mention, that losing at a slower pace helps with lose skin issues, as done lifting. So it's not always a race.. it's about doing it right the first time so you don't have to spend another year fixing your mistakes. And the last reason you should eat more calories... you will be able to push yourself harder, longer and get stronger with more calories. So performance is increased almost immediately with more calories.
  • abbeyoconnor99
    Options
    SIDESTEEL wrote this on the subject....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

This is a pretty big debate that pops up continually on the main forums.

Should you, or should you not, eat back your exercise calories? The answer is: It depends.

Here are some background definitions before going into this:

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The number of calories you burn at complete rest.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.
    NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of activity that is not planned exercise. Vacuuming, driving, brushing your teeth, for example.
    TEF/DIT (Thermic Effect of Feeding or Diet Induced Thermogenesis): Caloric expense of eating/digestion.
    TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) = Sum of the above. BMR+EAT+NEAT+TEF

Exercise calories, as they are typically used in MFP specifically, is represented by EAT in the above definition. Whether or not you should eat your EAT (giggity) depends on what system or method you are using to calculate your intake needs.

If you are using most other online calculation tools to determine an intake estimate, that estimate is going to already include EAT as part of the suggested intake. For example, it will ask you an activity factor that includes an average of your exercise, and with this it increases your TDEE to account for the fact that you are exercising.

If you are using MFP to tell you how much to eat, that estimate is NOT going to include EAT as part of the intake estimate.

Myfitnesspal uses a caloric estimation tool that expects you to eat back calories burned during exercise.

Consequently, MFP will essentially give you a LOWER intake estimate than an external TDEE calculator would give you.

In other words:

You tell MFP: I'd like to lose 1lb/week.

MFP says: Hey, you should eat X calories every day to lose 1lb/week.

You then decide to exercise and you burn 400 calories.

MFP says: Hey you pecker, you said you wanted to lose 1lb/week. Now you need to eat X+400 because you told me you wanted to lose 1lb/week.

So based on this:

If you are using MFP to tell you how many calories to eat, you should probably be eating back some portion of your exercise calories.

If you are using an external calculator and then customizing your intake to match that, you should not be eating back your exercise calories.

Lastly: Exercise expenditure is often over-stated.

My general opinion is that it's much simpler and uses less guess-work to use a custom intake and just forget about the exercise calorie model entirely, but that's a different topic of sorts, more discussion of which can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

thankyou for the information!