BROWN RICE HELP

Options
jaw783
jaw783 Posts: 40 Member
Hello MFP,
I'm trying to utlize brown rice more but the only way I seem to be able to make it edible is by adding chicken broth. How do you cook your brown rice?? Do you have any good recipes??

Replies

• goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I sometimes cook onion, garlic, courgette and tinned chopped tomatoes (plus any other veg like mushrooms) and chicken in a pan, add a fair amount of herbs, pepper and chilli, then stir it through the rice.
    I think the spicyness offsets the flavour of the brown rice a bit?

Make sure you are cooking the rice for long enough - brown rice takes far longer than white.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    fried rice! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What's not edible about it? I prepare it the same as I would white rice, though it requires slightly more liquid.
  • kosmosEP
    kosmosEP Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious to if I can just cook brown rice in my rice cooker like white rice. My rice cooker does not have instructions (thrift store shopper here) I've never tried brown rice in it, but I'd think it would work right? I would imagine I just need to add more water.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I normally cook it in a pot on the stove. 1 cup of brown rice to 1 1/4 cup water. Sometimes I replace some or all the water with chicken broth. put on stove to simmer, turn down heat and cover for 45 minutes. Stir and enjoy.

Sometimes I like to spice it up by sautéing onions and garlic before adding the rice and water/broth.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I make my brown rice as a base starch for my own stir fried fried rice with lots of veggies and add one egg or eggbeaters. It is my quick health meal, no meat.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious to if I can just cook brown rice in my rice cooker like white rice. My rice cooker does not have instructions (thrift store shopper here) I've never tried brown rice in it, but I'd think it would work right? I would imagine I just need to add more water.

This does work, just be sure to have enough water to cook it. IDK how the rice cooker knows, but it'll know when it's done.
  • xscat
    xscat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Jambalaya!

I'd replace "real" sausage with chicken sausage (cajun flavor preferred), white rice with brown and add more pepper (and thus yields more water) I wish I had photos from last time I made it... It was delicious :)
  • avm1962
    Options
    I have only ever used brown rice (other than Red Camargue which is awesome) for years. Sometimes I make a hot breakfast using brown rice. Cook as normal in my rice cooker - then I add a couple of tablespoons of Elmlea single light (low fat diet cream alternative), granulated sweetener, and either raisins or chopped dates. Kind of a brown rice pudding - its delicious and nice and warm for a winter breakfast.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with cooking it with chicken broth?

I use brown rice (wild rice, red rice, etc.) the exact same way I'd use white rice.

This is by far and away the best method I'd ever used, it comes out absolutely perfect, and frying in butter or oil first is a necessity for me: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-brown-rice-113856
  • jaidenphyr
    Options
    Yes it is basically the same, except you add an extra cup of water. In the rice cooker when you add three cups of rice you fill the water up the "3" line but when it is brown rice you fill it up to the "4".
  • Gemzzz12
    Gemzzz12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Something even healthier than brown rice is cauliflower rice! It's amazing and really healthy. All you do is grate a cauliflower then you can cook it how you want such as steaming it. I use it as a substitute in egg fried rice and it tastes great.
  • deedee2ks
    deedee2ks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have found that the best tasting brown rice on the market is the parboiled from Wal-Mart's brand. The consistency and flavour is good. It's better than any out there.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    pineapple rice! in the pot you're going to cook it in saute garlic & onion in a little olive oil, grapeseed or coconut oil, dump in your water, rice, a little soy sauce, diced pineapple (if you're using canned dump it in juice & all but cut out 1/2 a cup of your cooking water), ginger and lemon or lime juice. bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and let it cook covered until most of the liquid gets absorbed, about 45 minutes for regular brown rice.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I just put hot sauce on it:)
  • ktfole
    Options
    Cook two cups of brown rice then add 2 tsp of toasted sesame oil and a little bit of tamari or soy sauce to taste (start with 2 tsp). Stir in really well. If I am in the mood sometimes I slice three green onions and chop a half bunch of cilantro and add that too.
  • jaw783
    jaw783 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    hi jaw783! i've been cooking brown rice for decades. i use 2 cups of water and 1 cup rinsed brown rice. bring to a boil then turn down to low for one hour, stirring a few times. makes about 3-4 cups of cooked rice. you can double the recipe but any more than that and it does not cook so well. cooked rice can sit in the fridge for at least 5 days and stays nice and fresh for quick meals.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It makes for better egg fried rice than white in my opinion and goes crispier - make sure it's day old or really cold though before cooking.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bumpin for new ideas