December Exercise Challenge

Options
December being what it is, most of us tend to gain weight. In fact, I recently read that the average American gains 4-5 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you gained that every year, that would be 50 pounds every decade!
I have decided that in addition to watching my intake, I will challenge myself (and anyone else who cares to join) to exercise 20 days in December. The intensity, degree of difficulty, and amount of time that you exercise is up to you, but lets get up off the couch, OK?! Anyone in?

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I am in. I try to do some form of exercise everyday. But I know I will be busy and might not be able to everyday,. So here goes to at least 20 days of exercise
  • drjei
    drjei Posts: 34
    Options
    themommie- 39 pounds lost is nothin' to sneeze at! good on ya! Let's all just commit to stay active- that's half the battle :smile:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Okay I am in!

I used to exercise regularly and now I am slacking. I just picked up a $20 treadmill of Craiglist so I am hoping that exercise will be easier for me to actually accomplish.

I used it for 30 minutes today so I have Day 1 in the bag. :smile:
  • CTK3989
    CTK3989 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I'm shooting for every day.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Count me in.
  • MRSHUNWICK
    Options
    Cool... Im in!
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    Thanks for the challenge and the reminder! I'm in! :) 20 days it is.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Strength training count?
  • mystic333
    Options
    I'm in! I love these challenges! They give me that extra push I need to stay on track. I'm going to try to work out a lot this month bcuz I'm also doing a weight loss challenge for Dec and would like to look better by Christmas :happy:

12/1/10 45 min. Biking = 535 calories burned

I'll log todays when I'm done my evening half of the workout :smile:
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Day 2 Done - 30 minutes on the treadmill burnt 262 calories.

Would like to get back on there today but will see the day holds. :smile:
  • drjei
    Options
    Boreseasily- ANY exercise counts! Much of mine is strength training. Welcome to the challenge!:glasses:
  • netter43
    netter43 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am so in!! - I didn't work out last night (day of rest), but wishing I would have. Does anyone else do a day of rest? - I will be starting my 20 days tonight after work. Thanks for the challenge!!
  • lefrance12
    Options
    I am so in!! - I didn't work out last night (day of rest), but wishing I would have. Does anyone else do a day of rest? - I will be starting my 20 days tonight after work. Thanks for the challenge!!

Yes, it is wise to take at least one day off and let your body recover fully. This is somewhat like a healing process. I have found this is when I gain strength. Just a lil tid bit
  • mystic333
    Options
    Day 2

47 Minutes Biking 521 Calories Burned
  • drjei
    Options
    Wow Mystic! That's dedication. Great job! :happy:
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Thank you for that.

12/01/10 hour of strength training + 20 minutes cardio
    12/02/10 3.5miles walked.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    netter, I agree with lefrance. Rest is so important because that is when muscles take form. If you didn't know already, when you exercise a muscle it creates micro tears and those tears need time to heal, usually a day is sufficient. That's why it's important if you're strength training to not work the same muscles two days in a row because you don't give them time to heal. During the healing process is when the muscle becomes stronger. That's why any program that does the same thing day to day with no rest is ridiculously stupid. Always rest at least once a week, two is better. If you're doing any strength training then you'll need to rest more.
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Day 3 -

Exercise was a 55 minute hike up the hill and then back down. 413 calories burnt!
  • mystic333
    Options
    Thanks drjei :smile: I'm trying my best to stay motivated and dedicated. Had to take it easy today tho...feeling rly under the weather and coughing like crazy.

Day 3 = 30 Minutes Biking 312 Calories Burned
  • drjei
    Options
    Day 3- 40 minutes of biking- 553 calories. 40 suspended crunches (ugh). Mystic- Kudos to you for gettin' in 30 minutes when sick! Don't think I'd have the fortitude. :-)