Okay... it's time to tackle the mid section.

Options
I have done extremely well in my weight loss journey and have maintained my current weight for awhile making me feel confident that I am choosing the correct foods and using portion control.

Now, my next journey is toning my mid section. Like most men, I put on most of my weight on my mid section. I went from a size 42 waist to a size 34 waist. I know my mid section will never be perfect, but please give me advice and links on certain exercises i could do to help firm and tighten that area.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    No advice for ya, but I'm in the same boat... (err, will be soon, gotta lose some more lbs first)

The ab ripper X workout from p90x is only 15 minutes, I plan on doing that every other day.
  • lefrance12
    Options
    Cardio is the key I have found. Any abs exercises will aide in the mid section but cardio, varied cardio, has given me much success in that regard. Hope this is helpful!!
  • lauramorris85
    Options
    Like most men, I put on most of my weight on my mid section.

Not only men have their weight gain concentrated there. Women also do (as in my case). In a year's time, I went from a size 7 to an 11, and some of those are tight so I have one pair of size 13s. I'm not "fat" really but b/c I'm so short (5 ft 2 in) it has no where really to go. lol
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    There are no exercises to tackle the mid section.. I wish, we all do. It all comes down to how high of a body fat percentage you have.

You can't just take away fat from certain areas by exercising that area. In other words you can do ab works for 80 hours a week, and you may never see you're abs, or look smaller.

The general rule is you need less than 10% body fat to see the abs.

Ok, I realized I didn't answer you're question at all.. Do cardio, and watch the diet, strictly.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    There are no exercises to tackle the mid section.. I wish, we all do. It all comes down to how high of a body fat percentage you have.

You can't just take away fat from certain areas by exercising that area. In other words you can do ab works for 80 hours a week, and you may never see you're abs, or look smaller.

The general rule is you need less than 10% body fat to see the abs.

Ok, I realized I didn't answer you're question at all.. Do cardio, and watch the diet, strictly.

SO TRUE! I do 200 crunches and 50 situps every single night. I have since high school (I'm 29 now). I had gained about 20 lbs since high school but still continued with the same amount of ab work. I wondered why my abs were no longer visible. I lost 17 lbs and boom my abs popped right back out. Or rather, they just became visible from behind that layer of fat. So key to a great midsection? Lose any extra fat that may be hovering there then/and do some crunches. Good luck!!!!!
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Believe it or not, most people have great abs. However most people will never see them since they carry to much fat. And trust me, losing body fat is not an easy thing to do. It takes a great diet, with a good workout every day.
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much more weight I should lose so I've slacked on the cardio becos I am happy with my weight according to my height... I am 6' 4'' 175lbs... i look skin and bone on my face, shoulders, arms, back, legs, calves... but still have a somewhat meaty middle... maybe its just skin... thanks for the advice.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Women do struggle with it too. I think overall weight training and building muscle is the key!:smile:
  • leslieheb
    leslieheb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What foods should I avoid if you are trying to done the mid section ... I have heard that certain foods adds to this problem,......
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    From my experience, it's sugar. If I avoid simple sugars and white carbs, I can see my middle get smaller!
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    I don't know how much more weight I should lose so I've slacked on the cardio becos I am happy with my weight according to my height... I am 6' 4'' 175lbs... i look skin and bone on my face, shoulders, arms, back, legs, calves... but still have a somewhat meaty middle... maybe its just skin... thanks for the advice.

Have you got you're body fat percentage measured? It is probably pretty high. Do you strength train at all? If not, during your weight loss you probably lost some lean body mass (muscle)
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My friend suggested that I get the book YOU on a Diet. It talks about reducing waist size instead of looking at the pounds lost. Perhaps it can help?

http://www.amazon.com/YOU-Revised-Owners-Manual-Management/dp/1439164967/ref=pd_sim_b_10
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Everything Uptopar said is correct. It's all down to body fat%. You have to REALLLLLY want them. From what I've read it's all about the diet to get them to show. Low sugar/sodium/refined grains. If you do ab workouts before your body fat is low enough for them to show, you will strengthen them and possibly make those areas bigger, but to see a six pack you need to lose a lot of fat.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering where mine are too! I've been working out for a few years now - inc some tough (for me!) ab work and loads of cardio.... I guess my body fat % is low - it was measured over a year ago at around 14% and I've lost more since. I'm wondering if it's just skin - I've had 3 kids so my tummy has been stretched to the max! Maybe I will never see my abs.... sob!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    You're at the right body fat % it's under 17% for women. Do you not do any strength training? 2-3 days a week of strength training would make a big difference I think.