How do you cope eating out?

Options
2»

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out often.

But definitely plan ahead and check out the menu prior to going to the restaurant.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    II order the meal and a salad. Only eat half the meal. Either est it for dinner or lunch the next day with a salad or broccoli.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the hell out of it because it doesn't happen often.

One day isn't a deal breaker.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I either plan ahead or just enjoy myself!! :drinker:
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I figure out what I'm ordering before I go and I do it on a long run or hard workout day. It might help you to have a small snack before you leave for the restaurant. And bring gum for when you're done eating and everyone is just sitting around talking and drinking so you don't feel the need to munch so much. Ask for extra lemon for your water in between drinks if you're drinking.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I say screw it, go big or go home. It's not a life style.
  • Mjreiman
    Options
    What I do now is I eat something small and healthy before I go out then get a low cal or high protein meal while I'm out. If you feel like you have to be part of the in crowd and drink, I get vodka or wine depending on the setting.
  • tavasue
    Options
    I don't drink because it's not worth the calories. I plan ahead by looking up the menu and nutritional info. If possible, I order the lunch portion instead of the full portion. If I'm feeling jealous of what my dining companions are eating, I remind myself that I've "given up my right" to eat that way (a variation on a quote from AA Big Book..."I've given up my right to chemical peace of mind") because I abused food for so long.
  • clfhanger
    clfhanger Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try to check out the menu online beforehand and find some healthy options.

My typical choices: green salad, grilled chicken or fish, eggs, grilled/steamed veggies.

If there's nothing on the menu you want, you can always ask the wait staff for something specific.

Sometimes I will eat beforehand and then just have a tea at the restaurant.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It is actually quite easy to keep a calorie deficit and eat out a lot. You just have to be smart about what you order. Pick whatever main course you want, and with the sides opt to double up on vegetables. At least that is what I do. I stick to drinking water, or having only one alcoholic drink and then water. Also, try to avoid the heavy sauces...they can have a lot of calories for even a tiny amount.