P90X3 or Insanity, help me decide

Options
I have been doing P90 and haven't worked out in a week. The same two videos over and over just got me bored out of my mind. They certainly got me worked out so the intensity was fine for my out of shape butt, it was just insanely boring doing it over and over again. Insanity would be easier from an equipment perspective as I would have to leave the room for pull-ups with P90X3. My concern with Insanity is the lack of weight use. I like Insanity as it does seem to be an easier routine and would burn more calories. Maybe insanity with a strength based routine afterwords? I've invested in a set of Bowflex dumbbells and don't think I'd have time to fit in a strength routine along with Insanity nor have the energy to do so. Thoughts? Open to other routines as well but not something an hour long. I work 12 hour shifts doing an hour long workout after that just isn't going to happen.

5'10"
185-187 depending on day
Goal 170
If curious diary is open.

So not a lot of weight to lose, it's all in my belly like a lot of guys. Looking to lose about 4 inches there. If i happen to add a bit of newbie muscle in the process I wouldn't mind, the rest of my body is extremely lean except my thigh/a little in the love handles.

Replies

• popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Eh, thinking T25 now. Probably better bet for my out of shape butt.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1443/

That evaluation is spot on for all three.

I did P90X, then took a month off, then did RushFit. RushFit, if you pony up and use heavy enough weights, will kick your *kitten* in ways that P90X never did. It humbles you.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity before and I'm doing p90x3 right now. Never done T25. P90x3 is easier so far and more manageable, Insanity was a lot more challenging. I'd say if you really want to burn a lot of calories fast, do Insanity. If you want more of a manageable full body workout try p90x3.

I would actually say do p90x3 and if you still have some weight to lose do Insanity after.
  • niqu11
    niqu11 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you're throwing T25 into the mix, I'd say choose P90X3 over that. It's more intense, and there's more strength training involved. Insanity is going to be more intense than those two, but it's a bigger time commitment (P90X3 is only 30 minutes, T25 obviously 25 mins). I agree with the comment above- go for P90X3 and then if you need another challenge step it up to Insanity!

With any of the programs, you'll get what you put in of course!

I have tons of info I can share on any of the programs, feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.
  • popo312
    Options
    I've looked through the videos of all three and have decided to start with T25 and did the first one today. It was a serious butt kicker and think I picked the right one. I was certainly beat after the workout and had to modify quite a bit. Insanity would have been way to much and the pull up requirement of P90X3 just makes it too inconvenient by having to go to a different room to perform them. I'll see how the first week goes but will likely add a strength routine to it as well. After a couple hours I was good to go. Thinking in the end doing T25 in the morning and a strength(probably my P90 video) in the evening. My body type is thinnish and I'll never be a muscle guy, just want to get rid of my little bit of belly and tone up. Main thing for the strength training is to not lose what I have more than gain since that really won't happen at a deficit anyways.

Once I complete this I'll move onto Insanity hopefully if I can get my legs to cooperate. I have an issue with whatever muscle is right above your knee, it just seems to refuse to improve and continues to want to lockup pretty much.
  • popo312
    Options
    Well, new plan. Tried day 2 of T25 and couldn't do it. It wasn't that the physical difficulty was to much, it was just to complicated. I couldn't hardly figure out what the heck he was doing and when I did I just wasn't coordinated enough to do it. Did five minutes or so and gave and just did my P90 cardio. Just learned of CLX and going to try it out tomorrow. I like the idea of getting weights back into the equation.
  • niqu11
    niqu11 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well, new plan. Tried day 2 of T25 and couldn't do it. It wasn't that the physical difficulty was to much, it was just to complicated. I couldn't hardly figure out what the heck he was doing and when I did I just wasn't coordinated enough to do it. Did five minutes or so and gave and just did my P90 cardio. Just learned of CLX and going to try it out tomorrow. I like the idea of getting weights back into the equation.

Don't be afraid to try T25 a couple more times before you totally dismiss it! I know what you mean- some of the moves are pretty fast, it can take a little bit to get used to them. But believe me, after a week or two you'll be a pro! I'm glad you found a program you're into (CLX), maybe do that and preview the T25 videos to get some of the moves down and practice them. Then try it again when you're more comfortable!