Meal planning newbie

Options
I'm starting meal planning on Monday and I've been googling for the last hour and am slightly overwhelmed! I only work 3 days a week but those 3 days are different each week. I'm also not a very good cook and have no idea what to season my food with, just came off of blood pressure meds so I definitely don't need extra salt. Can any of you guys give me any quick tips or tell me your favorite site/video with meal planning ideas and recipes? Thanks so much!

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't use any website for my meal planning. I have an office job, working the typical daytime hours M-F. For breakfast and lunch I eat pretty much the same thing everyday, so I don't include those meals in my planning. I create a dinner schedule for every day of the week. I cook for my husband and myself, so I get his input on what he would like. I take into consideration what nights I have plans and won't be able to cook and schedule a crockpot meal or leftovers for those days. I write down the schedule on a chalkboard in the kitchen and use that to make my shopping list.

The meals I make are ones that I have learned to cook over the years. Some are simple, like grilled chicken and steamed veggies. Others take a bit more work, such as my "Skinny" Alfredo with Chicken & Broccoli. I have created a catalog of recipes over the years and work from that. Anything that is more complicated than throwing meat on the grill and cooking veggies gets written on an index card and placed in a recipe box. Every couple of weeks I will try a new recipe that I found on a website. If I don't like it, it doesn't go in the recipe box. If I like it, I keep the card and make it again.

I always have at least one meal that uses freezer and/or pantry ingredients that way if something comes up and I can't cook (such as last minute dinner plans with friends) I can shuffle around my schedule and not worry about food spoiling.
  • TVISmith
    TVISmith Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use skinnytaste.com a lot for recipes.
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Pinterest literally has thousands of recipes!

I created a board just for what I consider "heatlhy" recipes.

Feel free to check it out for some ideas: http://www.pinterest.com/angelharmony/healthy-stuff/
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I second Skinnytaste.com--their website is really nice too. Great food pictures! Check out their crock pot section... ANYONE can cook with a crock pot, and it would be great for work days.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I also really like skinny taste
    BUT Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast series of cookbooks is also really good for a newer cook. All the recipes have 3-8 ingredients and they are all made within a 1/2 hour - some of them are like 15 mins. It also gives you the nutritional information for the recipes and it even has side dishes. They are also pretty cheap.

note: the cooking light website has all of these recipes. Call me old fashioned but I like having a book that you can bookmark, add notes to, etc. [I do use my kindle for most everything else!]

Also, if you have the Flipboard app there are some incredible recipe feeds on there, but they can get kind of complex.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Krissy Mae Cagney is a personal trainer I follow on Instagram. She's funny and down to earth (though probably not for those who are easily offended by swearing), and she's studied nutrition, so she's not just spouting bro science. She released an ebook a few months ago called "This Is Not a Cookbook" that talks about meal vs. food prep (meal being portioning things out, food being just cooking a bunch of stuff to have on hand for the week). The book has some recipes, which might be helpful to you since you're just starting out, but what I really found helpful was that she goes through a bunch of different proteins, carbs, and vegetables and talks about best ways to prepare them and store them, including how long they'll keep in the fridge or freezer. This is where I bought it: https://gumroad.com/kmaecags#lESt

Since you're just starting out, I'd say keep it simple at first. I cook just for myself, and I usually make three things on a Sunday so I have options for lunches and dinners and am not just eating the same thing over and over. Another thing I do some weeks is make a bunch of basic ingredients--chicken, veggies, rice or quinoa--and then try to combine them in different ways. I made chicken and whole wheat pasta the other night. I've had it a few times with tomato sauce and cheese, and I've also used smaller portions in salads with a lot of veggies.

Budget Bytes is another site I really like. Not everything she makes is healthy, but it can be pretty easy to adjust ingredients to get the recipes to suit your needs.