Not losing weight!

Options
Hi all! I'm 5 weeks in to trying to lose weight now. I lost half a stone in the first 2 weeks and have lost nothing since. No inches lost either. My calorie intake is below 1200 most days, though I especially struggle at weekends. Still, my weekly average is usually 1200-1500. Can anyone offer some advice please?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is pretty normal to see large (and not maintainable) losses early on due to water weight and gut fill.

Weight loss is not linear so you will face some stalls and then see the drops later so you will have to learn some patience in that aspect.

Make sure you are logging accurately (if you want some tips look up a thread called "you probably eat more than you think), if you don't weigh your food then you need to.

You weight loss goal does not appear to be super large and I suspect you have your goal set at 2lbs a week? You should probably be set at 1 to give you more calories and lose a little slower (patience again) but it might serve you well to prevent burnout.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't fret about it. It takes time and patience. You have other things to worry about. I'm sorry you have MS. My dad has had it since he as 27 and it's not good.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Your initial loss was almost certainly mostly water weight. You have less than 20 pounds to lose, according to your ticker, yet you are only eating around 1200 a day? Up your calories a bit. When you only have a little bit to lose you can't really expect to lose 2 pounds a week. Set your goal to a .5 pound loss a week, but no higher than 1 pound a week, and eat a bit more. You'd be surprised how well it works it most cases to get the weight loss going. Good Luck!
  • WiredN
    Options
    You could have lost visceral fat first (fat around the organs) this tends to be lost first before you see any changes on the outside.

As for the actual -weight- loss, 1200 cals is incredibly low. Personally I got smaller eating more than that, around 1800-2000ish and I'm under 5ft.
    If your intake is too low, you body tries real hard to hold onto its energy stores and your metabolism may slow down.
    Otherwise have you looked at what you're eating rather than how much?
    I mean you could have two big macs everyday to meet that 1200 goal and nothing else and end up worse for wear, -or- you could make healthier choices, plenty of fresh food and not go hungry.

Do you have an exercise regime at all?