1370 is a really difficult number

Options
I lost some weight and MFP re-adjusted my calorie-intake needs. It's reduced me from 1400/day to 1370/day, which I know is not that much of a change, but for some reason I'm finding it really hard to stay under every day. I'm usually satiated at 1500/day, but to stay under 1370 is hard and I'm STARVING all the time. And yes, I pay attention to my protein and fiber to try and not be hungry, but ugghhh I can't stay under.

Anyone else having this issue?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any issues meeting my current 1,320 but I do eat back a few (couple hundred) exercise calories each day. Do you eat back exercise cals?

I will say it takes a bit of adjustment each time my calorie goals change. For me that is usually a matter of feeling 'hangry' when I get off work - I shifted more calories from dinner to lunch and it helped.

Best of luck!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If 1400 was working for you -- if you were losing weight and not feeling miserable -- then stick with it. You can input your own custom calorie goal.

It's much better to have a smaller deficit that you can stick with than a large deficit that isn't sustainable long term. You'll keep losing weight, even with a smaller deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stay under...you should be hitting your goal. It's only a 30 calorie difference...if you're "starving" now but weren't before with a mere 30 calorie difference then it is in your head. 30 calories isn't going to make or break your hunger.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So eat 1500 and lose the weight slightly slower, but be happier.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    So eat 1500 and lose the weight slightly slower, but be happier.

This!

Or, possibly, open your food diary for other helpful suggestions.
    I generally eat between 1300-1400 per day and not feeling deprived.
  • SouthernMommy11
    Options
    If 1400 was working for you -- if you were losing weight and not feeling miserable -- then stick with it. You can input your own custom calorie goal.

It's much better to have a smaller deficit that you can stick with than a large deficit that isn't sustainable long term. You'll keep losing weight, even with a smaller deficit.

Perfectly said
  • Cookie_4
    Cookie_4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

^^I totally agree. To lose 1 pound a week, MFP calculated 1380 a day for me. I felt hungry still and adjusted and I found that 1440 is maintainable for me. I'm maybe not losing as fast as I can, but this way works best for me because I never feel like I'm starving, I can still have my favorite foods while still staying within my calorie limit and I won't quit because I hate it. Even if it's just for "mental/emotional health" to have a slightly higher number, go back to 1400! Good luck :)
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any type of exercise?

You don't have to be, but if you do, you get to eat back some or all of them if you choose to. So, if you really want the extra 30 calories, perhaps a quick workout?

It's no fun feeling like you are starving, even when it may only be a mental thing. My caloric allotment just recently dropped 40 calories for the day as well. I have tried not looking at the total for the day, just when I log my food, to not go over. I'm watching as the day goes by how many calories I have left over, not how many I have consumed. Don't know if that makes sense or not....

Good luck!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    A 10 minute walk burns 34 calories OP - I know this because I log it frequently, takes me that to walk around my block

Could you just do a 10 minute walk per day to make up the difference?
  • djflowerz
    djflowerz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Alter your goal so it's around 1500 or 1550 and work at that for a while. Slow weight loss is better than none at all, right?
  • kal509
    kal509 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to 1300 a day but I actually consume about 1400 a day which hasn't really slowed me down at all. I had to play around with numbers a bit to find what actually works for me, and obviously what you're eating will be a big factor. You're right, it wasn't a big calorie jump for you, but it sure can make a difference! Just find what works for you and keep with it! :)
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    That's my biggest problem with MFP. After I started and lost the initial 10lbs it started lowering my calories and it was becoming very difficult not to exceed it every day. I started at around 1500 calories a day (234lbs), briefly went down to about 1450 but that's the lowest I've ever gone and had no issues with weight loss. I lost most of my weight at 1700-2000 calories. Now at maintenance I net about 2200.

Keep your calories at whatever you were doing and only make temporary adjustments UP AND DOWN if you stall. Slow and permanent weight loss is so much better than fast and unsustainable. Don't completely trust MFP's numbers; if you continue to lose on a higher calorie then don't lower them! Play around and find what works for you. I disabled the 'complete your diary' function because it tells me based on the amount I'm eating I should technically gain a pound a week.

Eta: congrats on your weight loss so far! Keep it up!
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I had a hard time with it as well when I put in my new weight and it lowered my caloric goal. So I lowered my goal to .5 pound a week and increased my cardio from 3 to 4 times a week. To be perfectly honest, I plan on a big "cheat" meal every couple of weeks usually on a long run day and spend the whole day looking forward to my fatty dinner, eating low calorie meals the whole rest of the day LOL. I am still under my calorie goal for that day but doing that about every other week has helped me feel "satisfied" instead of deprived.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with it as well when I put in my new weight and it lowered my caloric goal. So I lowered my goal to .5 pound a week and increased my cardio from 3 to 4 times a week. To be perfectly honest, I plan on a big "cheat" meal every couple of weeks usually on a long run day and spend the whole day looking forward to my fatty dinner, eating low calorie meals the whole rest of the day LOL. I am still under my calorie goal for that day but doing that about every other week has helped me feel "satisfied" instead of deprived.

Like :love:
  • Beet_Girl
    Options
    Ramp up the workouts and eat back your exercise calories?