Will 30 minutes once or twice a day on treadmill tone me?

Options
I'm 18, female 5'1 and 98-103 lbs.

I was bulimic for a year and a half and am in recovery. Yes I can work out now.

So I decided to start exercising 30 minutes a day by treadmilling on an incline.
I don't really want to lose weight

but you see I have flabby thighs, butt, arms, and stomach. I'm skinny fat all over and I want to be lean and muscular.

So along with treadmilling I want to figure out some weight training, but I'm treadmilling for right now.

I'm also not really counting calories all that much so on assumption I ingest about to 1200 but usually I just clean the house, mopping, organizing, running around vaccuming and doing yard work and taking care of my outdoor work.

I tend to usually consume most of my calories around breakfast and dinner. but if I'm in a hurry maybe lunch or dinner. (My digestive system is still recovering)

So along with exercising for 30 mintutes, I want to know if this is enough to make me tone and not gain or lose weight? I still have eating disorder thoughts and I never never want to be obese or fat like I was a year ago. I also drink tons and tons of water

Should I exercise for more? I tend to get paranoid about this whole thing out of fear of gaining weight. I'm trying to be as active as possible, I'm looking to work at a kennel and work with dogs, and I'd like to do other active things but Idk yet.

So is 30 minutes enough to tone my legs and make them leaner and what can I do for being overall skinny fattish or not "tight"

Replies

• lilisa516
    lilisa516 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is no way that at 5'1 and b/w 98-103 lbs you are flabby.....I'm 5' and 124 lbs and flabby. When I was your weight I looked toned and thin.
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You could try either lifting weights or do bodyweight exercises to help you get lean, although the treadmill is still great exercise overall even if it won't help you get "toned" so much. In my opinion any exercise is great, but it sounds like what you want is to build muscle. And try not to be too hard on yourself :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There is no way that at 5'1 and b/w 98-103 lbs you are flabby.....I'm 5' and 124 lbs and flabby. When I was your weight I looked toned and thin.

So you measured the OP's body composition? Just because you looked one way at that weight does not mean that they do.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'm 18, female 5'1 and 98-103 lbs.

I was bulimic for a year and a half and am in recovery. Yes I can work out now.

So I decided to start exercising 30 minutes a day by treadmilling on an incline.
    I don't really want to lose weight

but you see I have flabby thighs, butt, arms, and stomach. I'm skinny fat all over and I want to be lean and muscular.

So along with treadmilling I want to figure out some weight training, but I'm treadmilling for right now.

I'm also not really counting calories all that much so on assumption I ingest about to 1200 but usually I just clean the house, mopping, organizing, running around vaccuming and doing yard work and taking care of my outdoor work.

I tend to usually consume most of my calories around breakfast and dinner. but if I'm in a hurry maybe lunch or dinner. (My digestive system is still recovering)

So along with exercising for 30 mintutes, I want to know if this is enough to make me tone and not gain or lose weight? I still have eating disorder thoughts and I never never want to be obese or fat like I was a year ago. I also drink tons and tons of water

Should I exercise for more? I tend to get paranoid about this whole thing out of fear of gaining weight. I'm trying to be as active as possible, I'm looking to work at a kennel and work with dogs, and I'd like to do other active things but Idk yet.

So is 30 minutes enough to tone my legs and make them leaner and what can I do for being overall skinny fattish or not "tight"

Strength train.
  • confidentlyfit
    Options
    treadmill doesn't 'tone'
    and I'm assuming by using the word 'tone' you mean, build a little muscle?
    you need to familarise yourself with heavy lifting :) that'll get you the 'tone' you want.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    yup to get a toned look your time will be much better spent in the weight room, also make sure you get plenty of protein in to support those muscles while you work them
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

So you measured the OP's body composition? Just because you looked one way at that weight does not mean that they do.

Exactly this.

Its very possible to have a low weight but have a higher body fat (whoch makes one look flabby) - this is where the term "skinny fat" came from.

Duebto her eating disorder, as she lost weight, she lost both fat and muscle. The more muscle and less fat you have, the tighter you look. The less muscle and more fat you have, the flabbier you look.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you're still struggling with an unhealthy attitude toward food and weight, I strongly encourage you to talk to a professional. They're there to help:)

Cardio isn't going to be particularly helpful toward your goals. Try these steps instead:
    1) pick up heavy item
    2) put said item down
    3) wash, rinse and repeat

:flowerforyou:
  • ValGerman
    ValGerman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Completely skip the treadmill and do strenth-training instead. If you don't have access to a gym, google body weight exercises or buy some weights for your home.