eat healthy on night shift ???!

Options
Any tips on what to eat and how to eat it during night shift 10pm-8am ..
Thanks guys

Replies

• Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    The same things from 8am to 10pm. How does time change anything.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift and eat what I would eat during the day...time changes nothing just because you're up at a certain time.

I've got protein shake stuff, I've got some healthy meals I pack, popcorn is a great snack (no butter, low sodium), it's easy.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Pack your lunch. Coming from a fellow night shift worker, you aren't goinng to have too many healthy, or low calorie options to eat out during that time frame. Pack your lunch and take it with you. Buy an insulated lunch box if there is no fridge. You will do better packing than eating out that time if night
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I work 10pm-8am / 8pm-8am shifts... What is it you're specifically looking for?

Do you work in an office environment?
    Are you worried about boredom bingeing?
    Do you eat a lot of protein to fill you up?
    I try to not pick at foods during the night (don't always succeed)
    I try & have breakfast between 6-7:30 so I have something to line my stomach before I go home & sleep.
    You might find it helpful to readjust your diary to hours rather than Breakfast, lunch, dinner - As I find I bite into my next daily allowance if I just log after 12am.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I work 24 hour shifts and if sleep doesn't happen I just plan to eat something every 3 hours or so. I figure that even if my numbers are "over" for the day, I have more than compensated with activity. Sometimes my 24's turn in to 48's so I pack a cooler with enough mini-meals and snacks to get me through, but also will "keep" a day or two if I don't need them. Time of day doesn't matter so much if you are prepared. I also log by type of meal as opposed to time. I plan out what I'm packing and log what I expect to eat. If I have to eat more then I put it into it's proper category. Hope that makes some kind of sense.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts and an apple with peanut butter during my weekly overnight shift. My biggest problem is with my ravenous appetite after I wake up from my post-overnight nap!
  • cassie77775
    cassie77775 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work 7p-7a and am fairly busy(RN). I eat dinner at 5pm at home with my kids, I pack a healthy lunch and eat that at 12am(fruit, meat and veggie or 2). I eat some ought and another fruit around 3-4 am and then get home around 730-745 and sleep. I try not to eat at 7 bc I need time to digest before sleeping. Sometimes I also make a smoothie to eat a 3pm after waking up.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Always pack lunch , some of my faves: tuna on whole wheat, hard boiled eggs, raw almonds, big salads with kale, cucumber, tomato, chick peas etc. , vega bars, make a few chicken breasts with olive oil and garlic, so u can grab and go from the fridge, chop up chicken breasts and pair with a salad or just make sure you have veggies with it ... Asparagus, peppers, etc.
    If you always have food and Healthy snacks, you won't be tempted to go to the vending machine or fast food drive through
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The same things from 8am to 10pm. How does time change anything.

This. And don't get out of bed during the day for an extra lunch and dinner, like I used to :/
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I work 7P-7A three times a week. I changed my diary to 6 hour time blocks. I eat a real dinner before I go to work, then I bring things I can grab and eat. It's a busy hospital unit and getting a break isn't a guarantee. I used to eat the hospital food, but got out of that habit over a year ago, it saves me money and calories. I bring things like fruit, hardboiled eggs, yogurt, cheese sticks. I try to space out what I eat but each shift is an adventure and hard to predict. When I go home in the morning, I eat something before I collapse into bed.
  • ball_FXDWG
    ball_FXDWG Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I work thirds, 7 days a week 12 hour shifts for about 6 months and it has helped me so much to lose weight. I eat the same thing roughly every day. Bowl of soup before work at about 3 and a little beef jerky, about 60 calories/9 grams of protein on the drive in.

~9:00 can of low sodium v8 juice

~11:30 can of no sugar fruit, protein bar, crackers

~1:30 banana

~3:30 greek yogurt with dried oatmeal added

I try not to eat when I get home but usually have a few really hot jalapenos slices with cottage cheese
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I work 10pm to 6am and i love it it keeps my eating habits on point. I bring in two lean cuisines, or vegetables and cheese, 2 pieces of fruit, a diet soda, lots of water and I am good to go.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I eat better during my night shift work week than I do at home. I have a cooler with the appropriate foods to meet my macros and it just magically works... On days that I am awake 24+ hours, I just eat normally (Bulking 500-600 cal every 3-4hrs) and allow myself to go over. The next day is under due to shifting sleep schedule and less awake time. Things balance out over time if you let them.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I eat better during my night shift work week than I do at home. I have a cooler with the appropriate foods to meet my macros and it just magically works... On days that I am awake 24+ hours, I just eat normally (Bulking 500-600 cal every 3-4hrs) and allow myself to go over. The next day is under due to shifting sleep schedule and less awake time. Things balance out over time if you let them.
    Yes, this! I pack my cooler to fit my macros and, on 24's, I eat every 3 hours or so, too. It does all even out!