waking up at 2am starving

Options
I am waking up at 1:30- 2am starving but I don't want to eat. Would you? The best I've come up with so far is chew gum but that doesn't always get it to were I can go back to sleep. Any pointers?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough food during the day? Waking up with hunger is most surely a sign that you really aren't meeting your macro requirements.
  • LainaBaina5
    LainaBaina5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drink some water.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am waking up at 1:30- 2am starving but I don't want to eat. Would you? The best I've come up with so far is chew gum but that doesn't always get it to were I can go back to sleep. Any pointers?

IMO your eating too early in the day before bed time. Assuming you're set at the right goal, your stomach holds a little over 4 cups or a quart of food or liquid and it takes 2 hours to empty itself out. For obvious reasons, liquids empty faster than solids. Hope this helps the pangs.
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    in general, that tells me that you've chosen an unrealistic calorie goal for the day. however, it may simply be where you choose to place your calories. There are no rules as far as when you *should* eat except for whatever works for you. If this really is an issue, I suspect one of the 2 options:
    1) you found the right calorie amount, but you need to spread the amount out so you can eat a few more calories later, meaning you don't feel starving later.
    2) you are actually focusing on a calorie amount that does NOT work for you...and your body is telling you to EAT MORE. How did you find the calorie amount you currently eat? I would recommend using Scooby's calculator (google it!) and go from there.

Pretty please feel free to message me for actual links and things :)
  • olliebodman
    Options
    you look like you have lost a good amount, how did you do it?
    i have lost 1stone 10lbs so far and have been doing it for 5 weeks does that sound right?
    i have only set my goal at 1000 calories a day but am only managing 800 calories, am doing tennis once a week and walking everyday.
    i have googled this and it says its dangerous??
    all help much welcomed
  • froggiebecky
    froggiebecky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ollie--it's best to start your own thread rather than posting your questions in others'.

OP, when do you stop eating for the day (generally)?
    You might try eating something with a bit more fat or protein for your evening meal, or have something like a piece of cheese or boiled egg as a snack before bed. A little something with protein and/or fat would keep you from waking up.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Ollie (to post above) I would up your calories and lose slower. That does sound like a huge amount of weight lost in such a short space of time.

This isn't about starving yourself or punishing yourself by not eating enough. I am eating 1,200-1,500 calories a day depending on how hungry I am/how much exercise I do. I have *never* woke up in the middle of the night hungry, ever.

It baffles me that so many people do, maybe I am just a heavy sleeper?

OP, if you're not eating enough this could also be the same for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I go back to bed. Happens to me all the time.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    My trick is to save at least 300 calories and I have a protein shake before bed--you will sleep like a baby except for trips to the bathroom.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me when I strength trained. I take it as a sign that I wasn't feeding my body enough food.

Moral of the story... if your body is waking you up in the middle of the night starving you need to be eating more. I do not care if you feel you met your daily calories or not. Eat more.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're not eating enough during the day or stop eating too early. Try tweaking your awake diet first.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for a little bedtime snack.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for a little bedtime snack.

^^This
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. You probably need more protein and fiber, these two keep you fuller throughout the day and when you are sleeping. Water is a key also. I drink about 20oz before I lay down for bed. I never get up to pee at night. Keeping about 200 cals or less for a bedtime snack is not a bad idea. Granola, yogurt, slices of turkey, a chicken sausage, protein shake, whole grain crackers with hummus. I would try half servings of any of these foods. I don't always eat before bed but I always have water and hot tea. Fills the belly and makes me warm like I'm a baby. :)
  • estherharvick
    estherharvick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read in a magazine the best time to starve is while your sleeping. Just think your sleeping it off. That's what Ive been doing and keeping my hand on my hip bone that I can sorta feel while I lay there, thinking Im 28 lbs lighter and what I am doing it working, so keep it up and Don't eat after 6 pm !!!! Drink water while sitting on couch and take vitamins at night also they can absorb into your body while sleeping rather then peeing them out during the day !!
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    That happens to me occasionally during weight loss. I look at it as my body confirming its in calorie deficit mode. Usually I can go back to sleep. If it were happening every night though I'd probably adjust my calorie intake and assume the MFP goal number was off for my particular make up.
  • fificrazy
    Options

IMO your eating too early in the day before bed time. Assuming you're set at the right goal, your stomach holds a little over 4 cups or a quart of food or liquid and it takes 2 hours to empty itself out. For obvious reasons, liquids empty faster than solids. Hope this helps the pangs.

haha I think this is the most fascinating bit of info I've read on this website.