No carbs starches or sugar?

Options

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of having weight loss surgery and part of my process is seeing a dietician. I understand that, after surgery, it becomes all about proteins and have no problems with that. However the dietician mentioned something to me that I don't think is quite right: I'm to no longer have carbs of any kind, no starchy vegetables, and no sugar. None, zip, nada.

It's been my experience that moderation is always key in lifestyle changes and that, unless for health reasons, completely eliminating something is not good because it can lead to falling off the wagon and even binging on the "bad" foods. And as far as I've read and been told this isn't for a health reason, it's just because these are "bad" foods.

I'm basically looking for second opinions.

OP, I open my diary up to friends. I follow a low carb diet based on LCHF eating. If you are wondering what sort of food meets that criteria you are welcomed to look at what I eat. Just send me a friend request, and I will accept. Also, there is a low carb forum on MFP you may be interesting in asking questions. Here's the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

I sincerely wish the best for you. Take care.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but surely she didn't mean absolutely 0g carbs, right? It's my understanding that our brains NEED glucose.

Yep, none whatsoever. That's what got me to questioning what she said. The no starches thing I could understand to a point but I've read before that carbs aren't the bad foods we think they are and all in moderation.

Personally, I'd get some clarification...green leafy vegetables are carbs...

That said, I know one person who had gastric by-pass surgery and he is on a pretty restrictive diet as well...it may very well be one of those things that "moderation" may not be the key when you're talking about weigh loss surgery...I would pretty much consider having weight loss surgery a medical condition, and certain medical conditions do require certain restrictions.

But I'd definitely check on the veggies...I could see no starches or added sugars, etc...but veggies are pretty minimal in RE to carbohydrate concentration and sugar and also required to get your vitamins and minerals.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    If you only have 130lbs to lose, and you have already lost 19 why are you getting a surgery that will force you to drastically change how you have to eat for life? And yes, I realize that's none of my business, just thinking out loud.
  • Sarasjourney
    Options
    If you only have 130lbs to lose, and you have already lost 19 why are you getting a surgery that will force you to drastically change how you have to eat for life? And yes, I realize that's none of my business, just thinking out loud.

I think you read something wrong. My goal weight is 130lbs, I'm currently 375lbs.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I think you read something wrong. My goal weight is 130lbs, I'm currently 375lbs.

Yep, I'm an idiot lol
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I know several people who have had some type of bariatric surgery, and they all have said that their doctor recommends high protein, low carb diets, post surgery. I am wondering - is this because they think high protein, low carb is most effective for weight loss? Or is this because hp/lc is what will not cause patients GI distress? I am just wondering where this recommendation comes from...
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    While you are researching options you might want to check out Overeaters Anonymous. There are some great podcasts online, particularly the Los Angeles chapter. Listen to half a dozen podcasts and see if you can relate to any of their stories.
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know several people who have had some type of bariatric surgery, and they all have said that their doctor recommends high protein, low carb diets, post surgery. I am wondering - is this because they think high protein, low carb is most effective for weight loss? Or is this because hp/lc is what will not cause patients GI distress? I am just wondering where this recommendation comes from...

Since post-bariatric patients have a much smaller stomach volume, they need to focus very heavily on protein and fat due to those macronutrients providing more satiety and the building blocks needed to repair their bodies due to the procedure.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Since post-bariatric patients have a much smaller stomach volume, they need to focus very heavily on protein and fat due to those macronutrients providing more satiety and the building blocks needed to repair their bodies due to the procedure.

And what a pity that this is done AFTER surgery. What about BEFORE surgery...use the high fat and moderate protein and low carb diet to achieve the SATIETY and subsequent calorie reduction to lose the weight so that surgery is not needed to begin with.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    OP - does he mean "refined sugars" like white bread, white flour, and sweets and starchy vegetables like potatos, corn and peas? or does he also mean natural sugar found in fruit and other nutritious food?
  • jollyquilter
    jollyquilter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First of all I wish you well what ever you decide to do. But I wanted to let you know something about a friend who had the surgery done. He is only allowed to eat protein (meat) he at one bite of kale from his wifes plate and ended up in the hospital. he cannot eat bread or sweets at all and no beans either. He explained it to me that your stomach is so small that it causes your body to digest anything except meat in a way that your body cannot deal with. He has lost alot of weight. But he feels bad and is not very healthy looking. He has become depressed after losing so much weight and now feeling so bad and not being able to enjoy being thinner and having energy to do things with his kids. His medical crew tell him this is normal for those who have had the surgery. He wishes he had known this part before.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    OP, besides what i said above (does he mean processed sugars or natural sugars like you find in fruit?

You need to clarify from your doctor what he meant, when you find you you will know why some foods are off limits.

could be it is temporary, as after surgery you go on liquids, then semi solids, then more solids, and some foods are introduced, some foods are forbidden like soda pop.

It may be like the poster above said, that you only have room for protein at first. this is the most important thing. it could be that sugars fill up your body with things that it does not need as much as proteins, but that might be temporary.

when i learned about weight loss surgery, i thought i remembered them saying some foods are gradually brought back in, but you HAVE to be careful as not everything can be introduced.

I've been watching on TV "My 600 pound life" on TLC, and i cannot believe the food some of the people eat post-op, i mean they eat fast food chicken nuggets and french fries and soda pop. I cringe when i see it and do noit know how they can eat that nor how their body doesnt vomit it all back up.

please check with your doc for specifics about your food post op, if you eat the wrong thing you might get serious complications post op. i would not leave it to guessing.
  • donohuge
    Options
    I think your dietician may be wrong here but you'd need to speak to another dietician and/or a gastroenterologist. It is well documented that post surgery, protein is a major determinant in recovery but the avoidance of CHO shouldn't be recommended...the goal for 90% of dieticians is to ensure patients get enough calories to avoid something known as the 'vicious cycle of malnutrition' ask your dietician about it and they'll explain.

From my clinical nutrition experience, here are my thoughts: in gastric bypass patients certain foods can cause some mild to major problems, soda being a MAJOR culprit. In bypass patients soda can cause bloating, irritation, excessive gas and even malabsorption of nutrients.

Maybe your dietician wants you to refrain from CHO intake for a short period of time? Just to ensure you meet your protein requirements whilst you're healing, then reintroduce the CHO.

Another idea they might be toying with is what's known as a 'low residue diet' these diets aim to eliminate all fibre and are typically used in patients with GI issues such as IBD or diverticular disease...there may be applications for such diets in bypass surgery but again, speak to your gastroenterologist.

I hope this helps

Jordan
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    There's someone on my friends list who had the surgery. He can only eat small amounts of food, so he mostly focuses on protein, but he does eat other things sometimes and even had a slice of pizza for dinner one night. I can show him this thread and maybe he can friend you and offer some advice. He has lost a lot of weight and works out every day. Good luck. <3
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I didn't ask her to clarify. What I've been told is when I eat post-surgery my proteins must come first, then the veggies or whatever else I'm having since I'll be getting the sleeve and I'll only have a quarter cup of stomach room to work with.

Makes sense, if you can eat very little the first priority should be proteins - even the word protein implies first or priority.

There are proteins, and some fats, that we have to eat as we can't synthesis them. This isn't the case with glucose / carbs.

400-600 calories should get you all the fats and protein you need and leave room for some vegetables.
  • guardianwill
    guardianwill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello, great question! I went through bariatric surgery in Sept 23 2013. Was 2 pounds away from 300 pounds total. Had many issues that demanded my attention and surgery to help loose weight or I could have been refused surgery to save my life. Nevertheless-I got on the band wagon and followed completely and the last time I weighed myself I am now 184 and shrunk I just dont weigh myself that often. Nevertheless-Gastric Bypass surgery is what I had. I also do not eat, even now, much starches and not a whole lot of veggies ect. Mostly protein. I do take, as you will four vitamins a day to allow for such. The reason especially after surgery that sugars, starches ect are a no no is because of what they consider a dumping syndrome. Won't go into too much detail but if you get too much sweet or starches with sugar you could quickly loose your meal. Also, since your stomach pouch is so small if you were to eat anything but protein you would not get your 80 or so grams of protein in because the pouch would be full of other things. Anyway, stay in touch--good luck with your surgery and just a side note--I really don't miss all those other foods and don't regret getting my life back on track and being in control instead of the insurance companies with my life decisions.

For information of what a sleeve operation does, see this link. They actually remove most of your stomach and create a vertical pouch for your new stomach for the sleeve. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007435.htm

Also, as time goes by you will be allowed to eat some veggies-just not the really stringy kind and when you hit your 70% weight loss weight set by your doctor and approved by you you can then start having small amounds of grain. Starchy veggies, in about the 3 month mark you can start having beans ect as well.

Also, as well, realize the no carbs at all could be the first three days after surgery, but even milk has carbs. The carbs though will be very limited especially at first but almost everything has carbs. I was taking maybe 20 or 30 grams of carbs a day while on my liquid diet and soft food diet but like I said you really don't miss it and you won't feel hungry and sipping 64 oz of water a day will seem like a chore....
  • Thursdays2014
    Thursdays2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm not 100% sure but from what I've been informed by surgeon cutting things out and focussing just on vegetables (and also milk) is related to shrinking the liver prior to surgery bt this is for gastric bypass so think you really need to explore the advice you've beeen give carefully. Know it's daft questiob but have you googled it or looked on bariatric surgery websites?
    x BoBo:frown:
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The dumping syndrome is for patients that had the actual surgery. Besides stapling your stomach so it's only very tiny, they also remove a certain amount of you small intestines that help with the process of sugar/carbs.

I believe the OP is just getting the sleeve. which is just a rubber band filled w/ saline that restricts the stomach size. It can be removed. It can also be adjusted to make less room, or more room if needed.

Since OP is just getting the sleeve, i don't see the reason to completely cut out everything but Protein. I can see if they recommend you eat the protein part of your meal first, and then have some veggies after if you 'have room'. Unless they just tell you NO you cant have so you wont' be tempted to eat something starchy or sugar before you eat the protein you need to heal. I would see another dietician, or get 100% clarification from the one you've already seen.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I was initially going to have gastric bypass and I've NEVER heard them say anything like this to me. I was just told I'd have to take vitamins after the surgery and my intake would be limited as far as how MUCH I could eat, but basically I was told to eat balanced and healthy. There was no mention of eliminating anything totally (for the exception of things like carbonated soda, etc because obviously after the surgery your stomach can't take things like that but otherwise...you get my point)

And eating ZERO carbs is next to impossible. Even things like green beans have a few carbs.
  • Filmlotus
    Filmlotus Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Actually the topic of "Brain needs carb for fuel" has been addressed by many low carb/ketogenic diet scientists. The brain does NOT only run on glycogen from glucose. Your body also makes ketones which your brain actually prefers to burn. In fact, I've read that ketones are preferred and more efficient for brain function.

Here's a few excerpts I've found on Psychology today.

"Ketogenic diets, which are very high in fat and low in carbohydrate and protein, have been prescribed for seizures for a long time."

"Breast milk is very high in fat. Newborns spend time in ketosis, and are therefore to some extent ketoadapted."

"For the brain, it means a lower seizure risk and a better environment for neuronal recovery and repair."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/your-brain-ketones

A longer but more in depth read in the book http://www.artandscienceoflowcarb.com/ The science is quite overwhelming if you would just look into it and put away all prejudice of preconcieved notions that be absolutely need sugar and carbs to thrive. In fact the only carbs that we need should come from micro nutrient dense food, other than that, empty starchy sugary food serves us no purpose other than short term fuel which we often don't burn away quick enough anyway.