Calories in Pizza Restaurants not listed on MFP

Options
Turns out we're having pizza for dinner tonight, old me would be pretty excited, but the new me is concerned that I won't know exactly what calories I'll be eating, seeing as its a local restaurant without a website with calorie info..
Is there an option in the database that I should choose for a decent estimate?

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    you could just look for a generic cheese pizza, specifying thin, thick, deep dish, etc depending on what you get - then add any additional toppings separate. this might give you a rough estimate. it's all an estimation anyway, so this should enable you to track it well enough.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,680 Member
    Options
    A 12 inch pizza will be 850-1500 is my guess. Depends on a lot of factors. How thick is the crust? Does the crust taste fatty and pastry-like or lean and bread-like? Does the restaurant dress the finished pizza with a few tablespoons of olive oil? How decadent are the toppings? How much cheese, and is it fresh mozzarella or are there hard cheeses too?

I have a local pizzeria that makes extremely thin crusts with hardly any oil in the dough. They use fresh mozzarella only. I ask for half the amount of cheese and no olive oil on top. And I stick capers, artichokes, mushrooms and olives for toppings.
  • tylerplaysmusic
    tylerplaysmusic Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys, I think thats given me a good average!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Seems you've already figured this out, but thought I'd throw this in: If you know the size of the pizza you order, it's always easier to find an equivalent substitute in the food database. (Ex: search for "sausage pizza 12" for a 12-inch) At least you know you're getting the same size slice.

MFP has a Pizza Hut listing for every size and combo of toppings and crusts, so if all else fails I use it as a substitute.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Yeah, make sure to pay attention to the size of the pizza/slice. I was shocked to find that a piece of pizza from the place down the street is 300 calories, but a slice from Costco is 700 calories! Of course, the Costco slices are the size of my head. Also, pay attention to toppings. Meat and extra cheese obviously add on additional calories.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I just pick one that seems similar. I aim for a vegie pizza that is hand tossed, thin crust is way better though