What shoes do you use?

Options
I'm currently starting up the Couch to 5k program and I'm wanting to buy better running shoes. I have high arcs on my feet and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. :smile:

Cheers!

Replies

• changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love my Ryka's. I won't ever buy another shoe again!!!
  • RissaE
    RissaE Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Where about are you located? Do you have "running rooms" near you. They are wonderful about helping you choose a great shoe for your feet and your running style. They suggest asics for me and they've been wonderful. I did a half marathon this summer in them :-) I don't necessarily have high arcs though, so I really suggest going to a place that specializes in running shoes and get their opinion. Even if you don't end up buying from them (they usually are a bit over priced b/c you're paying for the service too) you'll know what you need. Happy running!
  • DevanEve
    DevanEve Posts: 130
    Options
    I live in Austin, TX. I will see if we have something similar though - that sounds awesome!

@T3118D0 - Thanks! I will have to check them out.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm a Nike kind of girl! I've tried everything else.... every shoe they have suggested at the shoe store..... I hated them. Even the Asics that cost me $130 - ouch! I had shin splints for a month.... I quit running.
    I've just started running again - first 5k this thursday "turkey trot" in a yr and 1/2, I am wearing Nike's and no shin splints!!! whoot whoot!

Everyones feet are different, so good luck finding the perfect one for you!!!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Go to a reputable running store (i.e. Fleet Feet) and get fitted. I get a new pair of runners every 6 months and all have been fantastic.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm currently starting up the Couch to 5k program and I'm wanting to buy better running shoes. I have high arcs on my feet and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. :smile:

Cheers!
    Personally, I am using Reeboks at the moment, before that it was Nike Air.

Your best bet is to definitely go to a good sports shoe shop and get fitted. Some places will even have you walk or run on a treadmill in the retailers so that they can guage your gait and how you place your foot down.

Good fitting running shoes are a must in my opinion, they can mean the difference between being extremely comfortable, or at the other end of the scale, getting injured. xxx
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Rebok Zig. They are ugly as an elephants butt and they only come in men's but I LOVE THEM. My shin splints are GONE.

reebok-zig-pulse-spring-2010-available.jpg
  • DevanEve
    DevanEve Posts: 130
    Options
    Touché! Thanks for all the replies! I will be getting fitted later on today and will definitely be trying MANY shoes on. :happy:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I abosolutely love my Nike Air Max shoes. I think I've gotten them in pretty much every color available.*LOL* I never get blisters or chaffing and the fit is consistant, whenever you need to replace them.

Rykas are also very comfortable and are designed for women. You can't get as many cool colors, though.

It's funny that you post this. I buy new gym shoes whenever I need extra motivation. Looking down and seeing the cool colors gets me going.:-D

I'd like to get Reebok Traintone shoes, but they're way expensive right now. If you know your size, I generally get the best deals and most variety on eBay.

Shannon
  • 35again
    35again Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I too have high arches...and heel spurs, so I have to have some orthotic inserts. Regardless of that I love Asics brand. I have the Gel Nimbus since I'm an underpronator (I learned this after running in the wrong type of shoes lol). Asics has a shoe fit chart at http://www.asicsamerica.com/sports/running/shoeFitChart.aspx . Be prepared to spend some $ to get a good pair of running shoes, but your feet and legs will thank you.
  • jnbeauch
    Options
    You absolutely HAVE to go to a running store and have them help you live in person...it's really the only way to get the right shoes. I'm a beginner runner who struggled with shin splints early on--bad shoes and I was pushing myself too much too soon. I went to my local running store...the watched my stride and foot placement as I jogged and presented me with about 10 options of shoes to try...I ran in each in the store and ultimately ended up with a pair that has been fabulous...shin splints are no more. I'm running in Brooks (Defyance).