Lost 100+lbs!! gained half back :(

Options
A few years ago I did awesome and lost over 100lbs using MFP. I ate super healthy, was really active, and reached my goal in a little over a year. But...that time spent loosing the weight was 100% focused on dieting. I rarely went out with my friends or family, spent hours planning, scheduling, preparing, and even documenting my meals, grocery shopping, exercising, etc. I was a hermit for an entire year. When I tried to get back to "regular" life while maintaining my weight....for example: going out, getting a new job where I have to sit in the car for 1 hour & 45 minutes a day, plus more time sitting at a desk, moving to another state and not having my own kitchen for almost 6 months, a horrible evil breakup, quitting smoking on the first try, breaking my foot, a death in the family, etc....I gained about 30lbs back. Then, I find this wonderful boyfriend who likes me just the way I am, and BOY do we love chicken wings and sushi and ice cream!!! I gain ANOTHER 30lbs back.

So....let's try this again. I know I can do it because I've done it before...but THIS time, I'm going to try to do it in a more realistic kind of way, where I can have a regular life, (with obstacles and all) AND maintain a healthy lifestyle at the same time.

It's a little depressing, but whatever. I'm BACK and ready to do this the right way. If anybody wants to join me for my "re-do", please feel free to add me! Friends are fun.

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I feel ya....I gained 35 back last year:) Sigh, it's tough to go backwards but you got this!! How great is it that you are working on it now instead of waiting longer....Really proud of you!! You goth this
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have only been on MFP for a week or so, didn't have my own introduction thread yet, but I would like to add you if it is O.K. with you, as I need some friends on here for motivation. You have done so well already, I am sure that you will succeed in no time, B.T.W. love sushi and chicken wings too, but only since I finished my juice fast. Weird or what?

To success :drinker:
  • KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hey :) welcome back! Doing it again with all the obstacles in the way will work a lot better for you I'm sure in the long run

I'll add you as you're awesome :P
  • magnolia_ah
    magnolia_ah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    "fall seven times, stand up eight".
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 and gained back 30 so I can relate. Gotta learn how to maintain this time. Feel free to add me if you like. I am determined to do it this time and KEEP IT.
  • jmarcin78
    Options
    I've gained about 20 back since September. Just not leaving the house, ordering delivery. I just imploded. I hear a lot of what you are saying. I want to wear my jeans again! I'll add you if that's cool.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Get up and come back even harder!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! why? because it reminds everyone that we always have a second, third, fourth, chance to do it.

i worry you are a foretelling of my future! that the minute I add real life back into all this the weight will add back too, so I am so glad you shared and that you are back and saying, whatever to the past and looking towards the future.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Stress and health issues are hard. Period.

Ive been through the same, lost about 40lbs and gained 20+ back after being on evil prednisone, breaking my foot and then eating everything in sight.

3 weeks ago I tore a calf muscle and wasn't even able to walk for 2 weeks, AND I was on vacation. I stuck with eating grilled foods rather than fried, kind of failed at swimming in a pool, but at least I tried it. haha I felt better anyway. Then last night a levee broke in my neighborhood and flooded many homes, after dealing with my own flood mess. Guess what I did? I finished off some M & M's that came home with us from vacation. I just did it because I was stressed and wanted food comfort. Bad idea? Yeah, but I realize what triggered it and shall move on. I also got a super workout filling sandbags and could have eaten a whole bag yesterday. lol Anyway, my point is that we do/will screw up. Some of us take longer to get back to good habits, but it is possible.

I'm back, I'm slowly losing again and getting back to exercise. Thank you God.

When you go out with friends, you need to find a way to adapt that to your healthier lifestyle. A few things that I did/do are to have chicken without skin or breading. Eat healthy food before I go. Drink water or tea.. lots of it. You don't owe an explanation to anyone. I still get odd looks when I order water at restaurants! I don't care what they think and at this point, I prefer it!

Id only advise that you don't 'talk' about your healthy lifestyle to other people very much because they get sick of hearing it. Do your own thing, for YOU, because you want to be healthy, happy and live longer!

You did this before and obviously you're ready to do it again. You can do this!! Start NOW!

(Sorry I rambled, I'm medicated due to a migraine) lol

Edited to clarify that I wanted to eat a whole bag of M & M's, not a sandbag. However, if I had a bag that big, I might have. :)
  • Neeters1969
    Neeters1969 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'd like to congratulate you for losing 100 pounds in the first place. This is something I need to do but have never been successful at. The very fact that you have actually done it is awesome. Secondly, it sounds like you have had an extremely challenging time, but it's great that you are back to start again.

I am back too after a 30 pound loss that I have gained back. So I too am back to try again. I tell my daughter that in order to succeed you need to fail so you can learn from your mistakes. Learning from mistakes helps you to grow and (hopefully) prevent you from making those mistakes again, and lead to long term success.
  • PickleJuice9484
    PickleJuice9484 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I'm feeling pretty motivated right now =)